Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Flatterer

Starlight Orchid
I don't think it's polite to name specific authors...but someone showed me a Mortal Instruments fanfiction writer who just copied the books' full text and occasionally inserted tiny scenes of the characters reading the books, to show their reactions to their own story. And it had raving reviews, even though what the "author" was doing wasn't remotely legal.

I cannot tell you how many times I've come across stories like that. I'd actually classify it as one of my pet peeves. Also, kudos for not namedropping! emotion_brofist
Violent Crow
Starlight Orchid
I don't think it's polite to name specific authors...but someone showed me a Mortal Instruments fanfiction writer who just copied the books' full text and occasionally inserted tiny scenes of the characters reading the books, to show their reactions to their own story. And it had raving reviews, even though what the "author" was doing wasn't remotely legal.

I cannot tell you how many times I've come across stories like that. I'd actually classify it as one of my pet peeves. Also, kudos for not namedropping! emotion_brofist

Oh, no! Is that becoming a fad? I don't know what would possess someone to do that...and to think it's okay!

Dapper Gekko

4,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
I don't like to name and shame but there if some behavior that really gets my anger rising. I write a lot of yaoi/ MxM stuff and I have been looking threw authors who slate people like me because it is "Not Canon" also because apparently we are "changing the characters to fit the story" forgive me but...isn't that what fanfiction is anyway? Changing an established story and turning it to something new?
Goodness me it really is annoying.
XProphaneX
I don't like to name and shame but there if some behavior that really gets my anger rising. I write a lot of yaoi/ MxM stuff and I have been looking threw authors who slate people like me because it is "Not Canon" also because apparently we are "changing the characters to fit the story" forgive me but...isn't that what fanfiction is anyway? Changing an established story and turning it to something new?
Goodness me it really is annoying.

Just ignore the folks who don't like yaoi. As long as you tag your work, complainers against such tags have no valid argument.

AreusYvrn's Partner In Crime

Feral Hellraiser

12,775 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • The Edgiest 250
I'm not going to name any authors, but I have met some rather terribly rude ones. It is terrible to see in review on a story that someone is just bashing and flaming, I mean seriously, why would someone feel the need to attack someone's self esteem? I just think its wrong and I know personally the feeling. I had been judged for how I liked to write and how my OCs were Mary Sues, I never listened to them but it still ruins a persons confidence.
Well, I have recall seeing those authors that did these parodies/fanmakes of Disney movies in Cartoon X-Overs, and they are bad. Like total carbon copies, having random characters playing the roles and repeating the same thing that it just died out. Of course back when I was very young I used to like these a bit, but now, I facepalm for a few people that still do these, it's just wrong.

Feral Wolf

12,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Member 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Renkon Root
neoangel_dj
Wow. I've never actually had any of these experiences, so I guess mine is pretty mild. I don't have anyone specific in mind, but I've come across authors who threaten to either discontinue their story or make bad things happen to the main characters if they don't get a certain number of reviews. It really annoys me when authors do this.
I hat that too. So much. In fact, holding a story hostage for reviews, or threatening to write atrocities unless they receive reviews is the fastest way to get me to quit a story and never look back.

I don't do that, but there are some stories I haven't updated in two years, because I have way too many stories and not enough time. The stories are all on going, and will be finished one day when I finish the other stories I am currently working on.
I hate how some people try to rush you, and one story I wrote I almost discontinued, because the person would not stop bothering me to update. It was every single day. gonk They didn't belong to the site, so I couldn't report them. I finished it, but I am rewriting it again, because I think that feeling of being rushed made the story pretty bad. For the same story, a person had to point out they were never going to finish my story, because I injured a character, and implied I was a horrible writer due to that.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Let's see there was the Yugioh author who first off made her entire stories boil down to "OMG the OTP must get togther or horrible things will happen it's the most important thing in the world" and like to brag about being an uber-hacker and knowing a kid with a learning disablitiy.

Then there were the two Xaiolin Showdown authors whose slash I did like but whose genderflip and OFC characters were such shallow Mary Sues. One of them even got the attitude of "I can't control my PMS so I'm going to be a total b***h, deal with it but if anyone is a b***h to me I'm going to give them greif."

I try to avoid these things. I give my OCs ballance and only let them in the story when it makes sense to do so. I might beg a little for feedback but I'd never hold a story hostage.
Well, this just happened yesterday so it's at the forefront of my mind right now haha.

Won't put their name, but this person has been blacklisting her readers because they've been sending her plot requests which she said she accepts, as detailed in her first post.

What her readers don't know is that a few chapters in, she has another chapter titled: "info-to do list". Apparently in that chapter she explicitly states that requests are closed, however people are still sending her requests. Basically she's just being ridiculous about it and won't back down or remove those names which she's publicly shaming, labeling her readers 'ignorant' and blacklisting them with all the arrogance a writer could portray through black and white words for not reading a post seven chapters in before sending in their request.

Adventuring Protagonist

19,225 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
The worst writer I've run into? Hmm... I forgot their name, but there was one writer I used to be friends with that turned out to be a total broken vase. They would spam people using about 10 alts and 5 friends, and they asked me to join. I played along, but reported all their alts and friends. That's my #1 tip for y'all, if someone asks you to help them troll online, play along but don't play. Report them, find out their alts and friends, then get the whole thing shut down. It's what happened there and I hope something like it happens to all trolls of this sort.

Pal

I have never had this experience.
I like to write and I like to review. Both positive i'm sure

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out