Dapper Gaian

3,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
Pikachew Tobacco
xx__Ms P a n d a
Pikachew Tobacco
What an ignorant video. Neither you nor her can speak for all black men and women. There is no evidence besides the anecdotal kind. Once you realize this, you'll come to the conclusion that having a victim complex in this situation is stupid. Please go outside and experience individualism. It might make you happier.

No, there is plenty of evidence. But then again if you're not a black man or woman, you wouldn't necessarily see it.
I am a black woman. Show me the numbers please instead of having an invisible majority on your side. The black community shouldn't be your shield here. That's prejudice.
No its not prejudice. If you don't see it than I'm jealous. I'm sorry that I have had these experiences and several other black women have had the same. Not everyone will share the same struggles.

Its all on the internet...all you have to do is LOOK.

Dapper Gaian

3,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
Chahklet

I'm sad

I thought you were my friend. I have no problem dating anyone - i'm currently in a committed relationship. If I happen to see injustices pushed towards black women, this has nothing to do with inequality. I just feel like I'm less likely to find love because of the way I look.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
xx__Ms P a n d a
No its not prejudice. If you don't see it than I'm jealous. I'm sorry that I have had these experiences and several other black women have had the same. Not everyone will share the same struggles.

Please forgive my intrusion.
I am uninvolved in this discussion on the whole.
But.
What you've done there is bad reasoning. "Go search for evidence of this" isn't good rhetoric.
Owing to selection bias and confirmation bias, you can always find evidence if you're looking for it.

I'm pretty sure you're right here.
I mean, women have it rough.
Black people have it rough.
It stands to reason black women have it rough on two fronts.

But, the person you're talking to is within their rights to see some kind of actual evidence.
Asking them to do the work to support your argument is not only bad form, but owing to the various biases that people have, they may see the same data and draw different conclusions from it.
This is why, in academia, you outline your methodology. It helps with bias catching as both a self-check measure and for those who would be hostile (whether academically because academic hostility is a good thing or because they genuinely hate your idea) to understand your approach so as to be able to properly criticise it.

Bear in mind, I neither believe you nor disbelieve you. I have no dog in this fight. I am merely trying to explain the rules of the fight as an impartial observer.
And that analogy really ran away with me a little.

Dapper Gaian

3,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
CuAnnan
xx__Ms P a n d a

Please forgive my intrusion.
I am uninvolved in this discussion on the whole.
But.
What you've done there is bad reasoning. "Go search for evidence of this" isn't good rhetoric.
Owing to selection bias and confirmation bias, you can always find evidence if you're looking for it.

I'm pretty sure you're right here.
I mean, women have it rough.
Black people have it rough.
It stands to reason black women have it rough on two fronts.

But, the person you're talking to is within their rights to see some kind of actual evidence.
Asking them to do the work to support your argument is not only bad form, but owing to the various biases that people have, they may see the same data and draw different conclusions from it.
This is why, in academia, you outline your methodology. It helps with bias catching as both a self-check measure and for those who would be hostile (whether academically because academic hostility is a good thing or because they genuinely hate your idea) to understand your approach so as to be able to properly criticise it.

Bear in mind, I neither believe you nor disbelieve you. I have no dog in this fight. I am merely trying to explain the rules of the fight as an impartial observer.
And that analogy really ran away with me a little.

She's asking for statistics. No researcher is going to take a survey for this. This is all based on social media and videos that i've seen. I can not tell the number of videos i've seen where one white girl shows up to twerk at a twerking contest and some a*****e(s) post under the video saying s**t like

"HAHA! black women wish they looked like her. They're all nappy headed ugly a** monkey's. Thats why I only date non-black women"
"Why all the black girls gotta hate? They're just mad cause white girls look better" (when not one black woman made a comment.)

And then I see s**t like this: "i like black guys as my freinds,but i hate black women,always the faces look god to ugly,but the legs look like an old lady...60 years or morew,and i hate fat asses,looks like an ugly blob."

I have also seen a twitter photo of two very fit and attractive white women with round butts. The caption? "White girls with big asses make black women jealous"

Like why is that kind of s**t okay?
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140330183041AA3Gks3
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/17/satoshi-kanazawa-black-women-less-attractive_n_863327.html

Then you have s**t like this:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Tipsy Smoker

xx__Ms P a n d a
Chahklet

I'm sad

I thought you were my friend. I have no problem dating anyone - i'm currently in a committed relationship. If I happen to see injustices pushed towards black women, this has nothing to do with inequality. I just feel like I'm less likely to find love because of the way I look.
Why did you think I was your friend? sweatdrop I've never had any conversations with you...If you feel that way it's definitely not because of your race. As you have already pointed out, not every black woman has that experience. Not even the majority I know. I wouldn't let that stop you as there are 7 billion people in this world and not one of them shares exactly the same experiences or preferences. Personally as a black woman, I have had no problem. I have a mixed race child and I've dated a variety of ethnicities.

Dapper Gaian

3,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
Chahklet
xx__Ms P a n d a
Chahklet

I'm sad

Why did you think I was your friend? sweatdrop I've never had any conversations with you...If you feel that way it's definitely not because of your race. As you have already pointed out, not every black woman has that experience. Not even the majority I know. I wouldn't let that stop you as there are 7 billion people in this world and not one of them shares exactly the same experiences or preferences. Personally as a black woman, I have had no problem. I have a mixed race child and I've dated a variety of ethnicities.

I was merely saying that from our past interactions that didn't have any heat. Sorry if I somehow offended you.

Anyways, that is not at all what i'm implying. Maybe some black women don't want to date outside their race? A lot of people don't do that. I've dated exclusively white men until recently. I've never felt like they wanted more than just a piece of a**, but thats from my experiences.

As I have stated before, it may not happen to ALL black women, but it apparently affects a lot of us if some are willing to make videos about it. So I don't really see why there is so much flack for this little post.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
xx__Ms P a n d a
This is all based on social media and videos that i've seen.

That's why I was trying to tell you about selection biases.
Social media isn't indicitive of a whole, but of the people you associate with.
They are likely, owing to the fact that you select them, to have similar experiences to you.

xx__Ms P a n d a
Like why is that kind of s**t okay?

Oh, you're asking the wrong person.
I think that s**t like that is contemptible and derision worthy.

xx__Ms P a n d a
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140330183041AA3Gks3

That there are morons out there with these opinions isn't in question.
The question is whether the morons are normative or a loud minority.

xx__Ms P a n d a
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/17/satoshi-kanazawa-black-women-less-attractive_n_863327.html

Yeah... read his works before.
He's a ********.

Like, his articles are never well supported when they're controversial which makes me think he's being controversial in order to self publicise.
xx__Ms P a n d a
Pikachew Tobacco
xx__Ms P a n d a
Pikachew Tobacco
What an ignorant video. Neither you nor her can speak for all black men and women. There is no evidence besides the anecdotal kind. Once you realize this, you'll come to the conclusion that having a victim complex in this situation is stupid. Please go outside and experience individualism. It might make you happier.

No, there is plenty of evidence. But then again if you're not a black man or woman, you wouldn't necessarily see it.
I am a black woman. Show me the numbers please instead of having an invisible majority on your side. The black community shouldn't be your shield here. That's prejudice.

Assuming that I won't understand unless I'm a certain race is prejudice. It makes the entirety of the black community obligated to agree with you while undermining the opinions of non-PoC (racist). The burden of proof falls on you. Your personal experiences have no merit. If all you can tell me is "look on the internet, no one will study this" then you have no valid argument. I don't have time to look through the internet for offensive things. Inductive reasoning won't help you in this case.

What that video claims does not apply to all black men and women. It seems like she found something that some black men do, became angry, and tried to make it a bigger issue than what it is. All you can do is accept that black men with those opinions exist and move on. If neither of you can factually prove its negative effect on a macro-level, then all it becomes is a minor personal grievance. This isn't a time to throw all black men under the bus. They still usually date black women.

I don't like being told I'm oppressed all the time and how much harder I have it than everyone else. I know that I can walk outside, continue to be a decent person with a good head on their shoulders, and be treated just a fairly as any other decent person. My success depends on my personality, hard work ethic, and using whatever resources I have at my disposal. Assuming an entire demographic is racist never helps anyone.
xx__Ms P a n d a

I just feel like I'm less likely to find love because of the way I look.

If I may, while not trying to undermine the issue you are speaking of (I totally get that it's a thing).... If someone is primarily interested in you because of the way you look, are you sure that is a relationship you want to be in? (God I hope that doesn't sound condescending)

To me, if someones love of you is rooted in the way you look, that person isn't worthy of your love.

It's... Uh... It's like those videos where people made online dates and went in fat-suits to see how the people reacted.

Ten times out of ten the people who reacted poorly came across as being the scummiest ******** people.

TL;DR - While I understand why you feel that way, and I get that there is a lot of this in society some of which may be internalized and not some explicit thing, I just want to say that anybody who would turn you down because of the way you look probably isn't someone you want to be in a relationship with.

Like... If you looked different and the person would be interested in you, if it wasn't looks, it would be something else, you know?

P.S I really hope I don't sound pretentious as ********. I swear I don't mean to.

Dapper Gaian

3,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
Alrighty! I declare this topic closed and don't want to straight too thin! Thanks everyone for your input and questions! biggrin
Hey, Pikachew Tobacco's mule here. Did you have to block me? I wasn't intentionally trying to offend you. I actually liked discussing this and wasn't being hostile. Is abusing the ignore feature a reportable offense? It's not fair that I should be blocked for having a different opinion. Are you mad because I, as a black woman, didn't join the pity party? If all you wanted was an echo chamber, you should've said so. I never would've posted.

I know I'll be blocked again. Guess I'm permanently out of the discussion. Bye, guys.

Edit: Now the OP ends the topic. Oh well.

Tipsy Smoker

xx__Ms P a n d a
Chahklet
xx__Ms P a n d a
Chahklet

I'm sad

I was merely saying that from our past interactions that didn't have any heat. Sorry if I somehow offended you.

Anyways, that is not at all what i'm implying. Maybe some black women don't want to date outside their race? A lot of people don't do that. I've dated exclusively white men until recently. I've never felt like they wanted more than just a piece of a**, but thats from my experiences.

As I have stated before, it may not happen to ALL black women, but it apparently affects a lot of us if some are willing to make videos about it. So I don't really see why there is so much flack for this little post.
You didn't offend me. And you're right. I may have been to aggressive in my response. I apologize. I didn't realize the topic was such a touchy subject for me...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff