Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why the hell should race matter, really? What was that civil rights movement for after all? Just a bunch of hooey ..?

All races in this day and age DO have the chance to get a good education, there isn't so much an excuse just *BECAUSE* of your race. Maybe because of your social class, but NOT race, and the two are different. Why should all minorities get a break just because of the color of their skin? That sounds more racist to me than anything. I don't want to be put at a lower end of the stick just because I'm a majority, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with my intelligence.

Back in the older days things were much different, but they've changed.
Islington
Maesh
Well, it is a factor in most colleges, if you consider that many colleges give tons of grants and special scholarships for MOST every race... Where's the love for the white/caucasians? I have never seen a scholarship engineered and only allowed for a white male... Oh well, that's what you get for giving the other races an inch; they take a mile

lol, hard to say that with a straight face. But seriously, there are no scholarships for white males alone...

Agreed, there used to be a scholarship for tall females xp .
Do you think that making it a factor is supposrted be the constiution?

I think it is each college's responsibility to make such a scholarship. Equal oppurtunity is meant for all races to be equal, and I don't know of any scholarships focused on white males, alone
Asta the Broken
I don't think it's a repeat topic, I haven't seen anything on race/admissions in months. Haven't been on as often, but anyway....

Well, I hope its not anyways T-T
Asta the Broken
1) The student body is now more diverse, but it is also potentially less academically proficient. Now there are students who are going to be admitted who aren't up to the standard, because they are minorities. Introductory-level seminars and general education classes may have to be dumbed-down, or, remedial classes may have to be formed to help these students catch up.

An interesting point to be brought up. However I believe that the AP classes are nationwide and colleges mainly look at these.According to the AP and IB tracks the material covered is the same, as are the tests. So a white student that gets a A in AP calc and a on the test, knows about the same as a minority student that gets an A & 5 in that class & test, respectively.

Asta the Broken
Also, will they be driven to succeed? They haven't been doing as well in school (see issue 4), so will they just doom themselves to failure from the start?

I would say that they are the ones that aspire to achieve the highest grades, since they are the ones that really want to be there.As all the GPAs are recalculated anyways, a kid with a smaller GPA might need to prove himself more that a kid with a high end GPA.

Asta the Broken
3) The issue everyone else is going to state-if I work my butt off and don't get in because I'm white and they need more [other ethnic group]s, isn't that unfair? Someone else will say it for me.

You hit that one right on the button. That is indeed what I am getting. However let me say this: if you have a larger database of support and connections should you not work that much harder?

Asta the Broken
Disclaimer-not all minorities go to poor urban schools. Not all whites do well in school. I have written about the average students in each population, and it has been shown that Whites' and Asians' test scores outperform Blacks' and Hispanics', which is correlated to a higher percentage of Black and Hispanic children attending poorer public school districts.

Heh, heh excellent disclaimer, I sort of stole it, for the first post, hope you dont mind.
I think that it is perfectly reasonable for economic circumstances to be a factor for scholarship awards. However, I think that the whole racial 'reverse-discrimintation' concept is just rediculous.

It's not fair! If I were African-American or Hispanic, I would have automatically qualified for a full ride to the college that I want to go to!! But, since I am in fact a caucasian, all I got was relative pocket-change! domokun

Anyway, I think it is contradictary and hypocritical that minorities should be given special privilages. We should all be treated equally. That was the whole dogma of the civil rights movements, yes? Minorities are just as intelligent as caucasians, and logically they should be competing for scholarship money on the same level. It is entirely unjustified that a minority gets a full-ride scholarship while a caucasian girl who works just as gets almost nothing.
Maesh
Islington
Maesh
Well, it is a factor in most colleges, if you consider that many colleges give tons of grants and special scholarships for MOST every race... Where's the love for the white/caucasians? I have never seen a scholarship engineered and only allowed for a white male... Oh well, that's what you get for giving the other races an inch; they take a mile

lol, hard to say that with a straight face. But seriously, there are no scholarships for white males alone...

I think it is each college's responsibility to make such a scholarship. Equal oppurtunity is meant for all races to be equal, and I don't know of any scholarships focused on white males, alone
But looking at this statisically: DO a majority of white males need a scholarship?

Hygienic Sex Symbol

3,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
Islington
Maesh
Islington
Maesh

But looking at this statisically: DO a majority of white males need a scholarship?

You're welcome to the disclaimer blaugh

Anyway, as a white female in college (ok, not QUITE what you're looking for), I can say that I do need the scholarships I have. Frankly, I'd like to have had a little more, since I'm going to be going to grad school in 2 years, after 4 1/2 years in college. I was valedictorian of my high school, and got a 1360 on the SATs. I didn't want to bother taking them again for a 1450, so instead of getting a full scholarship and room & board, I only get about $3500/semester, out of the roughly $8,000, and I'll lose that in the fall (but also lose the room on campus and will commute the hour). When I graduate, I will be over $10,000 in debt, and will have more loans on top of that, because my GPA is good enough to get into whatever school I want, but not good enough for a grant. My parents can't help too much, I have two little brothers, one of whom is in college now (and also plans to go to grad school), and the other is a freshman in high school who plans on going to college.

Just like not all minorities are underpriveleged, not all whites are affluent. My mom's a nurse, and my dad's a salesman.

You can change it and look at it this way-couldn't minority students take out thousands of dollars worth of loans as well?
i dont think race should be in it. i mean its like being racist or something...judging on the persons race and then deciding if they are smart..but then again...they could do a poll on weather which race is the smartest...but that doesnt matter....
If you want my true opinion, I will give it to you. I don't think any scholarships should be given based on race or gender. Everyone was born into the person they are, and therefore all should be on equal footing. Scholarships should be awarded to those individuals who excel in the realm of academics, and leave the government to hand out grants, based on need. I have a thirty on my act, ranked in the top ten in my class (300+ students), but next year I am looking at paying my way through college, very simply. Valedictorians should have the first nod above all, but it doesn't work out that way.
It is totally ridiculous that race would even be considered if you get to go to a certain collage. I could see if you had a bad record but beeing who you are?!?!? domokun

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff