Welcome to Gaia! ::

Animal

I think I've seen somewhere that the amount of teens, and adults, that suffer from any sort of depression has been rising over the years. It seems like everyone has a friend or family member that has suffered or is suffering from depression.

From what I've seen, a lot of the times it stems from stress. Stress from school, from work, and in many female's cases, from the pressures of the public and media to appear "pretty". (I know there's stress on the males as well, but it is mainly with females).

I myself have chronic depression, and it really pains me to see others suffering.

So, I guess to try and either give some advice or to make people more aware, I'm going to share some things I learned.

When I get my moments of depression, I used to stay in bed all day and shut everyone out. I would find ways to try to escape from my moods, like playing video games or reading, and while it distracted me from my problem, it never really helped.

It wasn't until my mom caught on to my emotions that she and I began to look for better ways for me to overcome those moments of depression.

Whenever I felt down, she would encourage me to leave my room, even if I didn't want to. I would interact with my siblings or just sit outside for a little bit and think by myself.

When my siblings weren't there, I would go for a walk. If I couldn't go for a walk, I would play piano, or draw. I began to search for things to learn, I became more active and in result, my mood swings happened less often, and when they did happen, they didn't last long.

So I'd like to encourage all of you who have depression to get up, get out, and go for a walk, learn something new, or maybe just sit outside.

To those who know someone who has depression, encourage them to do the same. I also advise you to not force them to do anything. If they choose to not follow your advice, don't get angry with them. The most important thing to remember is that no one can fix someone else, they have to want to fix themselves in order to get better. You can try to help them along their path, but you cannot force them to do anything

Thanks for reading this, if you did. I know this is a bit of a serious topic, but you never know when someone might need a thing like this.

Animal

conconconcrete wall
Life stays trying to keep you down.

Yeah, there's a LOT that makes me feel down. But I guess you either learn to block it out or it overwhelms you:/

Hardworking Sex Symbol

13,500 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
You're lucky to have such an observant mother. Well done mom!
And you are right. Being bored doesn't help at all against a depression.
I hope you'll never have to feel like that anymore.

I have been on heavy drugs for an anxiety disorder. Those are the same medicine some people with depression take in. I was hyperventilating chronically, but I think the condition anxiety disorder and depression have a lot in common. After years I have learned that all I had to do is talk to people about it. I haven't taken my medicine since March this year now and I feel much better. I just need to keep expressing those feelings and not lock myself up all the time.
I think depression affects us all very differently even though we may go through some of the same experiences. (thoughts of suicide or not being motivated enough to even get out of bed)

I would like to think that I have beaten my depression, although I know it's still there. Whenever I'm feeling sad (and most of the time it just hits me randomly for no reason), I try to stay positive and think of all the good things in my life and how it could be so much worse. I think a majority of my depression comes with daily stress of school and work, something that almost everyone can relate to. There are some people who are depressed for real reasons, and for them I feel very sorry. I hit rock bottom once and remember that feeling very vividly. Such a bad place to be in. After changing some of my habits and forcing myself to stay positive, I can say I'm a much happier person.

Picking up a productive hobby also helps. Create something, and surround yourself with things that you love.

Unless it's something like necrophilia, then please don't.
and the economy has also been getting worse and worse over the years

and other stuff has been happening over the years

it may make you uncomfortable how predictable we are but depression rates has only been studied since the around the last high began

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

^.^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces