Welcome to Gaia! ::

GunsmithKitten
Old Blue Collar Joe
I AM R U
Old Blue Collar Joe
I AM R U
Silvia Crow

At least Fox News is blatantly biased, so you can take whatever news they're reporting with that in mind.

One should always be aware of bias when reading anything.

One issue is that some people don't seem to recognize the bias, no matter how overt it is. Fox news also denies allegations of bias, which some people are happy to accept.

Every news/supposed 'news' is heavily biased. Some are just better at covering their lies and twisting of facts better than others. That, and to be blunt? People want to find a source of bullshit that jibes with their particular belief structure, thus it is 'more honest' than the other, when in reality it's just the lies they want to hear.

So... you're going to tell me that ALL news media act with the SAME amount of bias as Fox news, but that some are just better at hiding it? I'm sorry, I find that hard to believe.

Using an example at that works more easily for me:

In Australia, Melbourne, we have four main newspapers: The Age, The Herald Sun, The Australian, and The Fin Review.

Of these, the Herald Sun is clearly the most biased, and makes the least effort to hide it. Is that a good thing? That they don't try to hide their bias? Well, I'd say no. Not if they want to simultaneously claim to be an independent news provider. Next, would some the Age and the Australian on equal bias - both can display bias on either side, and one must keep one's wits about one to distinguish the bias. But they do attempt to be unbiased, disclaiming the political affiliations of columnists, or exposing their motivations for writing from a biased perspective. News articles are delivered with an aim to impart only the facts, and to eliminate personal opinion - that is reserved for the editorials, and the opinion pages of the newspaper. Finally, the Fin Review manages to be the most unbiased, simply because it is upfront about who each columnist is, and their background. It also delivers a selection of views from all sides of politics, allowing the reader to form their own opinion while delivering all the necessary information to do so.

While I completely agree that many people DO seek a form of news that "jibes" with their opinions, I find it irritating that many are unable to admit to it and are able to support their claim for "unbiased" coverage from the news outlet itself. My point, with my breakdown of our news sources, is also that the Fin Review is aimed at the highest educated demographic, the Age and Australian are aimed at a still highly educated demographic, while the Herald Sun is aiming at people who didn't necessarily finish high school - I'm not just being elitist, the requirements for being able to read said papers have been analyzed. I'm sure the same would apply to US news stations. So, the least openly biased newspaper is actively aimed at people who do not necessarily have the skills to question the source they get their news from. They're being actively mislead, and I find that highly concerning :/

Despite being a "liberal", my concerns about Fox would be pretty much instantly alleviated if they just stopped claiming to be "fair and balanced" and simply made more of an effort to be transparent. It isn't the content that alarms me, it's the willful manipulation of their target audience. Yes, I tend to read more "liberal" sources of news, but I actually read EVERYTHING available on a topic I find interesting. And I've noticed that liberal sources will often admit that their perspective is one with a liberal bias, whereas more conservative sources will deny any bias exists in their story. And that is what I find the most concerning.

Reality is, they are just as fair and balanced (in their news) as the other networks. They simply have a conservative spin. Much like CNN, MSNBC and all the other alphabet news are full of left leaning spin, FOX does definitely have a right lean. It's one of three sources I read regularly, the other two being left leaning.
I don't watch talking heads, and the vast majority that claim FOX is so biased bring up O'Reilly, Hannity and their other talking heads, when, in point of fact, they are not news.

Hence why my example are usually from Fox and Friends, which does not claim to be an editorial show.

Neither does the Today show, or any of the other morning shows, which I can't stand any of them. They're all biased and spin the ******** out of anything to tell you what is going on, but also to make damn sure that it is told in how they want you to view it.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
I AM R U
Old Blue Collar Joe
I AM R U
Silvia Crow

At least Fox News is blatantly biased, so you can take whatever news they're reporting with that in mind.

One should always be aware of bias when reading anything.

One issue is that some people don't seem to recognize the bias, no matter how overt it is. Fox news also denies allegations of bias, which some people are happy to accept.

Every news/supposed 'news' is heavily biased. Some are just better at covering their lies and twisting of facts better than others. That, and to be blunt? People want to find a source of bullshit that jibes with their particular belief structure, thus it is 'more honest' than the other, when in reality it's just the lies they want to hear.

So... you're going to tell me that ALL news media act with the SAME amount of bias as Fox news, but that some are just better at hiding it? I'm sorry, I find that hard to believe.

Using an example at that works more easily for me:

In Australia, Melbourne, we have four main newspapers: The Age, The Herald Sun, The Australian, and The Fin Review.

Of these, the Herald Sun is clearly the most biased, and makes the least effort to hide it. Is that a good thing? That they don't try to hide their bias? Well, I'd say no. Not if they want to simultaneously claim to be an independent news provider. Next, would some the Age and the Australian on equal bias - both can display bias on either side, and one must keep one's wits about one to distinguish the bias. But they do attempt to be unbiased, disclaiming the political affiliations of columnists, or exposing their motivations for writing from a biased perspective. News articles are delivered with an aim to impart only the facts, and to eliminate personal opinion - that is reserved for the editorials, and the opinion pages of the newspaper. Finally, the Fin Review manages to be the most unbiased, simply because it is upfront about who each columnist is, and their background. It also delivers a selection of views from all sides of politics, allowing the reader to form their own opinion while delivering all the necessary information to do so.

While I completely agree that many people DO seek a form of news that "jibes" with their opinions, I find it irritating that many are unable to admit to it and are able to support their claim for "unbiased" coverage from the news outlet itself. My point, with my breakdown of our news sources, is also that the Fin Review is aimed at the highest educated demographic, the Age and Australian are aimed at a still highly educated demographic, while the Herald Sun is aiming at people who didn't necessarily finish high school - I'm not just being elitist, the requirements for being able to read said papers have been analyzed. I'm sure the same would apply to US news stations. So, the least openly biased newspaper is actively aimed at people who do not necessarily have the skills to question the source they get their news from. They're being actively mislead, and I find that highly concerning :/

Despite being a "liberal", my concerns about Fox would be pretty much instantly alleviated if they just stopped claiming to be "fair and balanced" and simply made more of an effort to be transparent. It isn't the content that alarms me, it's the willful manipulation of their target audience. Yes, I tend to read more "liberal" sources of news, but I actually read EVERYTHING available on a topic I find interesting. And I've noticed that liberal sources will often admit that their perspective is one with a liberal bias, whereas more conservative sources will deny any bias exists in their story. And that is what I find the most concerning.

Reality is, they are just as fair and balanced (in their news) as the other networks. They simply have a conservative spin. Much like CNN, MSNBC and all the other alphabet news are full of left leaning spin, FOX does definitely have a right lean. It's one of three sources I read regularly, the other two being left leaning.
I don't watch talking heads, and the vast majority that claim FOX is so biased bring up O'Reilly, Hannity and their other talking heads, when, in point of fact, they are not news.

Obviously, you and I are similarly able to identify and critique bias in our consumption of media - my concern is about those who cannot, or who choose not to, from both right and left-wing positions.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff