Naughty Nerd

41,625 Points
  • Miasmal Lake Defender 250
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Jump Start Boot 100
I probably should have started the thread a few days beforehand rofl

Today, March 29, 2014, is the day of the 2014 Nickelodeon (USA) Kids' Choice Awards! Want to watch and discuss along with me? Turn your TV to Nickelodeon and chat with me, the self-proclaimed World's Oldest KCA Fan, in this thread!

When to watch:

Traditionally, the preshow ("Live from the Orange Carpet" wink has started 3 hours before the show (5 PM EST). For over a decade now, at least most of this time has been taken up by a SpongeBob mini-marathon, usually of reruns of recent premieres, with the remainder (if there is any) consisting of premieres of new episodes or specials of current primetime shows. In recent years, the actual preshow has been cut to about 1 hour (7 PM EST), though the SpongeBob marathon beforehand has been retained. The main show (8 PM EST) lasts for 90 minutes, after which is often a premiere or a sneak peek of a brand new show (9:30 PM EST). (Notable shows to have premiered in this timeslot include SpongeBob, All Grown Up, and Victorious.) Altogether, the entire runtime of the festivities usually totals about 5 hours.

But what's different this year?

After consulting the TV schedule, it appears that the lineup is slightly different this year. First of all, the SpongeBob marathon will start 2 hours earlier (3 PM EST), and there is no new series premiere afterward. The net total of this year's runtime is therefore 6 and a half hours. Second, the marathon is a combination of SpongeBob and Sam & Cat. There will be 2 SpongeBob half-hour specials, then the last Sam & Cat hour-long special, then a SpongeBob 1-hour special, then the last regular episode of Sam & Cat. That is all from 3 PM EST till 7 PM EST. Then the episode premieres start and the Orange Carpet preshow "officially" goes live.

The premieres this year are the new Sam & Cat hour-long special "#SuperPsycho," lasting 45 minutes (presumably there will be fewer commercials during this part, unless it is time elapsed or they cut scenes here and there that will be inserted back into the special once it starts airing in its proper timeslot length), followed by a new 15-minute SpongeBob episode called "Kenny the Cat."

After this, the main show will last from 8 to 9:30 like usual. Instead of premiering a new show, the channel will immediately change over to Nick at Nite.

Okay, but here's the thing... I don't live in the Eastern Time Zone. When does it show where I live?

I'm not entirely sure if the marathon beforehand will be shifted or shortened or cut altogether or changed in any way, so check your local listings for the channel Nickelodeon (this will help you: http://www.tvguide.com). As far as I am aware, though, the Orange Carpet (including the Sam & Cat and SpongeBob premieres) and the main show are probably going to be broadcast live, like most award shows are. Don't quote me on this, in fact, if you know for sure I am wrong, please let me know so that I can edit this post.

To find out what the times are for your time zone, again, you can check your local listings. That'd be the most reliable way.

I have a different problem--I live outside of the USA! I still want to watch, what can I do?

*starts speaking in a low, hushed voice*

Okay, here's the thing. There are online livestreams that broadcast cable channels over the Internet, so that people living outside of a timezone or in another country, or people without access to a TV, can still watch it. But, it's HIGHLY ILLEGAL. Gaia's TOS prevents me from naming any of these such sites or giving out their URLs, or any information about how to find them. I cannot tell you any of that on this site. The TOS also says that I can't tell you via PM, and I can't state out loud anywhere that "if you want me to tell you, meet me on another site and I'll tell you." So if you want to do that, you will have to find out completely on your own. I also am encouraged to reiterate: it is HIGHLY ILLEGAL. I cannot recommend it. Besides, many of these sites are known to harbor malware or be plastered with shifty advertisements (which anti-malware programs and adblocking add-ons can circumvent, if you wanted to ask), and it causes major lag on your computer (not that I would know..........). Use it at your own risk. But try not to.

*speaks up again*

Besides, most other countries that carry their own version of the Nickelodeon channel also have their own KCA, on a different day of the year. If you can't watch the American KCA, no worries--there are many other KCA shows around the world. Maybe there's one in your country! If there isn't, try starting a petition to get one!

Okay! I got all the facts. Now how do we celebrate? I feel like I want to make this official!

Haha! That's the spirit! Okay, if you want to follow my tradition, here's how you do it:

1. Watch the ENTIRE thing. Cancel all plans and plop yourself in front of the TV. Only leave during commercial breaks. The only exception: if you are not allowed to eat meals in front of the TV, you may be forced to leave for a significant amount of time. This is why it's great to have a discussion while watching--everyone else can fill you in on what you missed, so you don't have to rewind your TV and put your watching out of sync!
2. Historically, the food sponsor for the KCA has been Burger King, at least as long as I've been watching. A few years ago, they switched sponsors to McDonald's. I personally don't support this change, mainly because I hate McDonald's with a passion. If you want to have a "traditional" KCA meal, just order whatever you want from Burger King and eat it. If you want to have a "modern traditional" KCA meal, just order whatever you want from McDonald's and eat it. Whichever you choose, I recommend you go with whatever you actually like more, instead of trying to decide between history and modern trends. Let's try not to start a war between the burger chains in this thread, for both reasons. (If you don't eat meat, but you like tradition, it's perfectly fine to order non-meat menu items. The tradition is the restaurant itself, there's no specific thing you have to order! smile If you don't eat at those places for other reasons... well, just get creative on your own. I'm sure you'll come up with something! wink )
3. I live tweet award shows a lot, including the KCA. Earlier today I promised I'd start the live tweet at 5, and I've decided that even though I found out that the marathon is starting even earlier than that this year, I'm still not going to get on Twitter until 5, unless something comes up during the marathon before then. Follow me here and tweet along with me. I warn you: I am, very likely, the World's Oldest KCA Fan (I am 23 years old and have been watching faithfully every year since 2001), and as such, not everything I tweet will be "kid-friendly." I promise I never tweet anything that's actually explicit, though. It's a 13+ site and my tweets are PG-13 accordingly, even during shows with lower ratings. I am not ashamed of this. My reasoning: if anyone under 13 is using Twitter and gets exposed to PG-13 content, it's not my fault, underagers are not supposed to be on Twitter in the first place and those of us old enough to use it are not supposed to be babysitters for kids who broke the rules.

Enjoy the show!