Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Cleric

9,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Five looked like a fun guy, so I decided to try him out first. I mean, if he's good enough to inspire kids and stuff, he's gotta be a pretty good Doctor, right?

So, Castrovalva.
Wut.

Like, I understood what was going on, who the companions/characters were, but I have a feeling that something isn't making any sense.

You're arch-nemesis is suffering regeneration-sickness, is addled and identity-confused. So what do you do? Send him to the Big Bang!

At least that part made sense, even if the Master could've used easier ways to kill the Doctor.

But then making some weird trappy-place to HEAL him up!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Like, seriously. WTF?

And I've heard people say that the medicine fiven to Five had the same ingredients as a date-rape drug. Really, REALLY?

Honestly, the effects weren't as bad as I thought, and the plot certainly was intersting, but seriously, wut.

Dangerous Vampire

9,850 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
I dunno, I liked that episode. I think with Doctor Who you just kinda have to go with it. Sure, there is always a less convoluted way things could have been done, and the series logic is sketchy and inconsistent even at the best of times, but if you are going to be able to enjoy Doctor Who you have to be able to look past that.

Bashful Cleric

9,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Mr John Mitchell
I dunno, I liked that episode. I think with Doctor Who you just kinda have to go with it. Sure, there is always a less convoluted way things could have been done, and the series logic is sketchy and inconsistent even at the best of times, but if you are going to be able to enjoy Doctor Who you have to be able to look past that.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean, some of the stuff you'd never even believe someone else could come up with *coughMoffatcough*, but it's absolutely fantastic.
Man, Castrovalva took some brainpower. But I enjoy old tv shows, they kinda show how different people were back then. Americans had an attention span back then. Like, what is that? Five is my second-favorite regeneration though, so I watch.
So going back to classics, good idea, I approve but there is some things you forgot to take in mind when doing this.

Doctor Who started in the late sixties and worked all through the seventies and eighties. This is important to keep in mind when considering the target audience was a vastly different group of people than the new doctor who. Its original audience was adults in the 30s+ who enjoyed smart scifi and history.

Secondly, the first doctor established the premis of the show via magical blue box, the second introduced regenerations and some aspects of his race, but there was a lot of character development that lead up to that through doctors three and four (longest running doctor was tom baker as the fourth) one of which the major scenes was this this interaction at the end of the mission The Doctor was assigned to go back in time and erase the Daleks from existence.
WikiQuote
The Doctor: If someone who knew the future, pointed out a child to you and told you that that child would grow up totally evil, to be a ruthless dictator who would destroy millions of lives... could you then kill that child?
Sarah: We're talking about the Daleks; the most evil creatures ever invented! You must destroy them! You must complete your mission for the Time Lords!
The Doctor: Do I have the right? Simply touch one wire against the other, and that's it. The Daleks cease to exist. Hundreds of millions of people, thousands of generations can live without fear, in peace... and never even know the word "Dalek".
Sarah: Then why wait? If it was a disease or some sort of bacteria you were destroying, you wouldn't hesitate!
The Doctor: But if I kill... wipe out a whole intelligent life-form... then I become like them. I'd be no better than the Daleks.
The end result was no, the doctor couldn't go through with it, in spite of knowing what would happen. It is less surprising to know he wouldn't take down The Master.

If you want to start with the classic series I recommend going a little farther back than the fifth if you can. I found a torrent a while ago that had the first 19 (of 21) seasons, including the reconstructed episodes, but I don't remember where. Personally I like that it started with a grumpy old doctor, then moved into the aloof doctors before becoming light hearted and fun doctors. That realization that you will live forever if your careful so have fun with it was a big part of who the Doctor is. And it is back-story like this that makes the 10th doctor's line "I'm so old now, I used to have so much mercy." was so haunting in new series.

Bashful Cleric

9,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Fujimi Senshi
Man, Castrovalva took some brainpower. But I enjoy old tv shows, they kinda show how different people were back then. Americans had an attention span back then. Like, what is that? Five is my second-favorite regeneration though, so I watch.

LOL, I take it that you're not American then? xp whee

Bashful Cleric

9,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
LegionPothIX
So going back to classics, good idea, I approve but there is some things you forgot to take in mind when doing this.

Doctor Who started in the late sixties and worked all through the seventies and eighties. This is important to keep in mind when considering the target audience was a vastly different group of people than the new doctor who. Its original audience was adults in the 30s+ who enjoyed smart scifi and history.

Secondly, the first doctor established the premis of the show via magical blue box, the second introduced regenerations and some aspects of his race, but there was a lot of character development that lead up to that through doctors three and four (longest running doctor was tom baker as the fourth) one of which the major scenes was this this interaction at the end of the mission The Doctor was assigned to go back in time and erase the Daleks from existence.
WikiQuote
The Doctor: If someone who knew the future, pointed out a child to you and told you that that child would grow up totally evil, to be a ruthless dictator who would destroy millions of lives... could you then kill that child?
Sarah: We're talking about the Daleks; the most evil creatures ever invented! You must destroy them! You must complete your mission for the Time Lords!
The Doctor: Do I have the right? Simply touch one wire against the other, and that's it. The Daleks cease to exist. Hundreds of millions of people, thousands of generations can live without fear, in peace... and never even know the word "Dalek".
Sarah: Then why wait? If it was a disease or some sort of bacteria you were destroying, you wouldn't hesitate!
The Doctor: But if I kill... wipe out a whole intelligent life-form... then I become like them. I'd be no better than the Daleks.
The end result was no, the doctor couldn't go through with it, in spite of knowing what would happen. It is less surprising to know he wouldn't take down The Master.

If you want to start with the classic series I recommend going a little farther back than the fifth if you can. I found a torrent a while ago that had the first 19 (of 21) seasons, including the reconstructed episodes, but I don't remember where. Personally I like that it started with a grumpy old doctor, then moved into the aloof doctors before becoming light hearted and fun doctors. That realization that you will live forever if your careful so have fun with it was a big part of who the Doctor is. And it is back-story like this that makes the 10th doctor's line "I'm so old now, I used to have so much mercy." was so haunting in new series.

Mm, lengthy but good explanation. I suppose it DOES make sense-- the whole time I was watcching it though, I had to keep reminding myself that he wasn't the New Who Doctors, so no angsty, survivor's guilt kind of backstory, which kind of changed it ALOT.
So, which Doctor would you reccomend starting off with first?
The first one, but if that's simply not possible, you could do worse than starting at the second one.
The first doctor sets up the original conflict with his long term nemisis (Cyber men, Daleks) though nothing about his own race is explained. You get to see a little bit about his family (grand-daughter is the first companion) which I feel should be relevant considering how the story has gone in NuWho. Also the way companions used to be chosen is explained and sets up the rest of the series.
The second doctor makes the implication that he can remember all of his family members if he really wants to, and carries on the companion traditions.

Each regeneration can be summed up in a key word, but I haven't seen them all so i'll just get you started.
First=grumpy
Second=subtle
Third=cleaver
Fourth=funny
fifth-eighth...
Nineth=dramatic
Tenth=remorseful
Eleventh=childish

Bashful Cleric

9,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
LegionPothIX
The first one, but if that's simply not possible, you could do worse than starting at the second one.
The first doctor sets up the original conflict with his long term nemisis (Cyber men, Daleks) though nothing about his own race is explained. You get to see a little bit about his family (grand-daughter is the first companion) which I feel should be relevant considering how the story has gone in NuWho. Also the way companions used to be chosen is explained and sets up the rest of the series.
The second doctor makes the implication that he can remember all of his family members if he really wants to, and carries on the companion traditions.

Each regeneration can be summed up in a key word, but I haven't seen them all so i'll just get you started.
First=grumpy
Second=subtle
Third=cleaver
Fourth=funny
fifth-eighth...
Nineth=dramatic
Tenth=remorseful
Eleventh=childish

Mm... Yeah, I suppose so. Though with Ten I was teeter-tottering around either "angsty" or "hyper"
Yeah I think Angsty defines 10 better, 11 started out manic, but took a swift shift into bi-polar.

Bashful Cleric

9,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
LegionPothIX
Yeah I think Angsty defines 10 better, 11 started out manic, but took a swift shift into bi-polar.

Very, very true.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces