Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Cat

II Earl Grey II
User Image
"I have seen doctors 1, 2, 3, 4, and for some reason even 5, and honestly I find all their stories to be rather slow moving, dull, straightforward without surprises, and boring.

And 7? What is even WITH him. I mean......come on.

9 is eh, he gets kind of a fire in his angry moments but that's about it. Now Tennant, he knows what he's doing."
User Image

Because they are longer stories? Seems the most reasonable reason to me.

In the case of Seven, he starts out as being kind of a clown but his personality does take a little bit of a darker turn later on in his run. I find that the biggest problem was that gems from his era are few and far in-between, which was much the same problem with the Sixth Doctor's stories as well.

Also, I should add that your type of thinking frustrates me to no end.

Fashionable Explorer

8,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
Work your way through it I suggest.
I used to watch them when I was little, and while some of them bored me there was a great number of episodes that I loved.
It's honestly a matter of opinion, as you can see with both Earl Grey and B a k a - c h a n, but if you can sit through old sci fi movies, you can certainly sit through old Doctor Who.

Oh, and while watching anything from the first Doctor, remember that when they first wrote about him it was supposed to be for educational purposes.
Naterbee

Oh, and while watching anything from the first Doctor, remember that when they first wrote about him it was supposed to be for educational purposes.

Which is why the early historical stories have no sci-fi elements apart from the TARDIS and its occupants; they were written as fictionalised history lessons. The first story to break this mould was "The Time Meddler" from 1965, in which the Doctor has to stop one of his people (the term Time Lords was not used until four years later) from altering the outcome of the Battle of Hastings. But the story still has a strongly educational element.

Rainbow Codger

Clare_N
Naterbee

Which is why the early historical stories have no sci-fi elements apart from the TARDIS and its occupants; they were written as fictionalised history lessons. The first story to break this mould was "The Time Meddler" from 1965, in which the Doctor has to stop one of his people (the term Time Lords was not used until four years later) from altering the outcome of the Battle of Hastings. But the story still has a strongly educational element.
To the Sea! To the Sea!

Really? I didn't know that! That's fascinating. I'll have to watch one of those.

The white gulls are crying...User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces