Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm a huge fan of Pete Seeger, Mimi and Richard FariƱa, Mississippi John Hurt, Phil Ochs; and fellow people like that?

I'm beginning to think that folk music is dead, in many ways because of electric music, dubstep and some variations of rock music. My parents, 70's children don't even really care for folk music, in which I respond to them: "a wim-o-weh!" smile

I first got my love of it when I went to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee from the street musicians on the parkway in Gatlinburg. I think the world would be a better place if music may be more organic and filled with love and not lust like the commercialized music of today. It's a damned shame, that I'm 16 and only want to listen to music that may be 50-60 years old, but it's the good stuff, I think.

Feral Kitten

12,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
I'm in love with Simon and Garfunkel right now.

I'm only 16.

Fashionable Genius

4,150 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Yes! heart There's lots of old school music on youtube - I've been meaning to make a playlist but I always forget to log in xp
I actually just made a Soundcloud for my covers and original folk tunes. Please everyone give a lesson and let me know how I really am. https://soundcloud.com/sjacob2014

Aged Humorist

Both your covers are very solid and pretty.

The "Far Leys/Sketch 1" recording is really quiet, but that's obviously not a musician's fault, that must have happened somewhere in conversion.

I'd like to hear more. It's always nice to meet someone who appreciates folk music. I'd argue it's perhaps the most human of any genre or style.
Thank you! heart My digital recorder seems to record very silently, but I'd rather it be silent than distorting! I just got it a week ago. I'm still learning.

More covers to come soon. I'm currently trying to get permission to put up another song (by another artist other than Nick Drake).

Wheezing Lunatic

8,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
jamming this right now. inherited a shitload of vynils from my dad, this was one of them.
(if you don't listen to the whole thing at least check out track 2, s**t rules)

Tipsy Smoker

Everyone do yourselves a favor, and look up Jackson C Frank, one of the late and great folk artists out there.
I actually have listened and researched Jackson a good bit, as I am a Nick Drake fan, it was kind of my duty to look at his influences.

He has beautiful work. His sound to me is slightly more avant-garde than what I'm used to, but he's totally the songwriter's songwriter. Nick Drake's version of "Milk and Honey' is fabulous.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff