Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Dabbler

I have been working on fixing up my laptop so it is actually usable.

I have gotten a new battery and fan, both of which I know for sure were actually needed. My computer can actually run for more then five minutes now. It can run for hours, like normal. 3nodding

However it still gets really hot when I do alot. To a certain extent this is to be expected but I am disappointed because it doesn't run as fast/handle as much as it used to.

Main thing I want to be able to is play Minecraft, my favorite game in the whole world. heart I can play, but on really low settings and it is slow sometimes even then.

It used to run faster and I was able to do so much more. Even if it overworked my computer and fan. (I plan on getting optifine, but I still feel with that there would be a problem, as it used to be better.)

Back to heat, when I was researching I about overheating I learned about thermal paste and heat sinks. Can anyone explain to me what they are and how to understand if I need them or not? Would it also help speed?

Am I just expecting to much of my laptop to expect it to be able to run Minecraft well? I really don't want to have to upgrade a whole bunch of my laptop if it is going to be expensive, so if stopping overheating helps, I would really like to do that.

Here is my laptop model:
Laptop
Good Evening! (Or possibly morning?)

I'm guessing your laptop already has a heat sink installed; they can't usually be upgraded in a laptop due to space constraints. To explain: A heat sink is a piece of metal (usually aluminum or copper due to their heat dispersal properties) that is placed on top of the processor to absorb heat and disperse it through fins away from the processor, improving performance. I suppose thermal paste might help, but I wouldn't count on it giving you notable gains in performance. Thermal paste goes between the heat sink and processor, to further aid in heat transfer away from the processor.

Your system definitely looks good enough to run Minecraft, so it doesn't seem like you need to put any money into upgrades. Could it possibly be the location of the laptop? Make sure that wherever the laptop is, it has proper ventilation; try to avoid placing it on couches, pillows, blankets, etc. Tables and hard surfaces are best, and if need be, you can actually get stands or external fans to put underneath your laptop to increase air flow.

I hope this helps, and I hope you're able to play Minecraft soon!

Have a great day!
-Jason

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas