Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well, normally I'd self-teach myself something like this, but now I'm WAY in over my head. This 'simple coding' is making my head spin! It's pretty general, I've no clue where to even start in the Theme Switching process. I've got *most* of my layout completed the old fashion .htm way, so how do I convert that to .css?

And just a random question; can I replace the one .css page with two ServerSideIncludes (.txt) pages?

I need help ASAP, I need this up and working before I have to start my new job, 'cause after that I'll have very little time for the layout of the site, I'll do good just to update it!
Learn CSS. http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/authoring/stylesheets/tutorials/tutorial1.html

It takes about 30 minutes to read through that entire article, and you'll know more than enough smile
First, a note about CSS. CSS was designed to do what HTML failed to, that is seperate style and content completely. XML and XHTML also make strides in this area, but we are talking CSS and HTML...The point of this note is to say that if you have any styling hardcoded into your html (this ranges from any <font> tags or \<b\>/\<i\> tags to most tables, and more) you will want to remove that, and replace it when you implement a CSS.

Next, theme changing, there are several ways to do this, the easiest is to just have multiple CSSs and to have a simple function which calls a different CSS depending on whatever you want, day of the week/selector/form results...

You can seperate the CSS from the HTML page, simply save it (from <style> to </style> in a .css file and link it) and you can have as many of those as you like on the server.
Foolish
First, a note about CSS. CSS was designed to do what HTML failed to, that is seperate style and content completely. XML and XHTML also make strides in this area, but we are talking CSS and HTML...The point of this note is to say that if you have any styling hardcoded into your html (this ranges from any <font> tags or \<b\>/\<i\> tags to most tables, and more) you will want to remove that, and replace it when you implement a CSS.

From my understanding, HTML and CSS were originally meant to be seperate parts of the same equation anyway; XML and XHTML are ways of capitalizing on the intent of the script. Having said that, we're currently redesigning all of our pages using the compartmentalization; it works much better in the long run.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff