Welcome to Gaia! ::

Help!
Okay, so a dumb question.
A few days ago, I picked up a used Windows 7 computer that has a floppy drive. I have a dozen or so IBM 1.44mb floppy disks containing files from a Windows 98 computer I had about five years ago. There is no way for me to tell if the floppies are any good, and I want to transfer the files onto my new computer, but there is no response whenever I put a floppy into the drive. I know there's a trick I'm forgetting from my days of using the Windows 98 computer, for accessing floppies. It's probably different on 7... Can anyone give me some help?

I got it fixed.
Jade Plant
A few days ago, I picked up a used Windows 7 computer that has a floppy drive.
Wat.
Jade Plant
There is no way for me to tell if the floppies are any good, and I want to transfer the files onto my new computer, but there is no response whenever I put a floppy into the drive. I know there's a trick I'm forgetting from my days of using the Windows 98 computer, for accessing floppies. It's probably different on 7... Can anyone give me some help?
It's not different for any of them. Floppy drives don't generally have the ability to "sense" when a new disk is put in. (There are some models that do, but they were relatively uncommon.) You have to open "Computer" and then open the A: drive from there.
psychic stalker
Jade Plant
A few days ago, I picked up a used Windows 7 computer that has a floppy drive.
Wat.
Jade Plant
There is no way for me to tell if the floppies are any good, and I want to transfer the files onto my new computer, but there is no response whenever I put a floppy into the drive. I know there's a trick I'm forgetting from my days of using the Windows 98 computer, for accessing floppies. It's probably different on 7... Can anyone give me some help?
It's not different for any of them. Floppy drives don't generally have the ability to "sense" when a new disk is put in. (There are some models that do, but they were relatively uncommon.) You have to open "Computer" and then open the A: drive from there.

It was a refurbished system with Windows 7.
It turns out the floppy drive was just unplugged. I took it into the place where I bought the system, and they hooked it up. Right now I'm'm testing it out now to see if it works, but thank you for the advice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff