Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Lover

22,625 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Married 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
I'm about to install lunbuntu as my main os over windows 7 and i was wondering a few questions:

1. Is it just like ubuntu I mean if i install an app thats for ubuntu will it run and work just the same?
2. can you run windows exe ( i have them on a cd) games or apps with wine or the like?
and 3. any themes to easy customization?

ill be here for about 2 hours moving my files to backup so ill be searching for help :d
Lubuntu is Basically Ubuntu base with an LXDE desktop environment and PcmanFM file manager. so its lighter and used less system resources.

I am sure you can install Wine for a lot of windows stuff, there is also now steam for games and a lot more games can be run on linux.. You can also install virtualbox and install and run windows in that.
Yes there is a lot fo customizing fo themes etcthat can be done.. you need to visit the forums and read a bit as some themes dont work with some programs etc...there is GTK and QT and different variations of each and occasionally they don't play well with each other.

I am not a Ubuntu user so the technical stuff from them i can't help much..

Rainbow Lover

22,625 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Married 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
name_is_taken
Lubuntu is Basically Ubuntu base with an LXDE desktop environment and PcmanFM file manager. so its lighter and used less system resources.

I am sure you can install Wine for a lot of windows stuff, there is also now steam for games and a lot more games can be run on linux.. You can also install virtualbox and install and run windows in that.
Yes there is a lot fo customizing fo themes etcthat can be done.. you need to visit the forums and read a bit as some themes dont work with some programs etc...there is GTK and QT and different variations of each and occasionally they don't play well with each other.

I am not a Ubuntu user so the technical stuff from them i can't help much..

hey desura works for linux too surprised
after my files get thru with syncing to dropbox and mediafire ill have it all read to go biggrin
anadentone
1. Is it just like ubuntu I mean if i install an app thats for ubuntu will it run and work just the same?
It IS Ubuntu. Literally the only difference is that it comes with LXDE installed instead of Unity or Gnome.

And literally the only differences between Lubuntu/Ubuntu and the three hundred or so other distributions is that Ubuntu is based on Debian (and so uses Apt instead of some other package manager - many others use either RPM or something else) and uses slightly different names for virtually universal programs and libraries.

Anything that runs on Ubuntu or any other distro will, more than likely, run on Lubuntu.
anadentone
2. can you run windows exe ( i have them on a cd) games or apps with wine or the like?
Yes. Check the AppDB for compatibility information and instructions for setup.
anadentone
and 3. any themes to easy customization?
Lots. Google exists for this purpose.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces