Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Which is better, more frequent updates? or doing a comic in color?

more frequent updates 0.75 75.0% [ 6 ]
doing the comic in color 0.25 25.0% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 8 ]

wow, this is a pretty slow moving forum sweatdrop

I think I've demonstrated that I can sustain steady updates while building up a ... what do you call it? a buffer of updates? I can do that pretty efficiently if I update a webcomic once a week. but I'm wondering if I could do something like that if I updated the comic twice a week.

I've been thinking about experimenting with color again, there seems to be some controversy over how far out of your comfort zone you should be working in. Wonder if it really matters that much, this webcomic was just an experiment to begin with so ... yeah ... not certain if it matters that much.

If I try to experiment with color again and update twice a week then it's going to be way harder. perhaps I should only try one of the two. It get's me wondering how much do people care about if the comic is done in color or not. Which is better, updating twice a week or doing the comic in color?

Shadowy Phantom

Yep, it's called a buffer.

As for colour, to me, the primary consideration is whether the colour would enhance the storytelling. If colour would enhance the storytelling significantly, go for it. If not (or worse, if it would make it worse, and that IS very possible), then stick to B&W, and practice colouring on the side.

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
I think steady updates are more important than color unless some colored aspect of the comic is very important to getting the story across. I know some things are easier to depict with color and grayscale (and vice-versa).

And a B&W or grayscale comic can look pretty boss on its own, like one of my favorite webcomics right now is TJ & Amal.
I've been having the same issue myself but as I see as long as the story is good on its own you don't have to stress too much about color. If you want you can make certain page color to enhance the effects you should try it out. You may find that to be an easy way of experiment.
yeah ... i dont think my story is very good, its more of an autobiography

Hygienic Humorist

I think it all depends on how much time you're willing to devote to the comic and what you're going for as far as visual style; do you have the time to devote to a color comic or would that just stress you out inordinately? Would coloring the comic make you much less inclined to work on it? Would color detract from the content and presentation of the comic itself?

One of my comics is very simple black-and-white because they're just small, funny gag comics that don't need a lot of polish, and I like being able to sit down and churn out a handful of them every time I feel like cartooning. Occasionally I'll add a single color to individual comics, but only if it enhances the line work or I want to make some sort of visual impact (for example, the rare occasions where the comic has a background, or when I want to portray a shadowed subject in the extreme foreground). On the other hand, I flat-color my other comic, but that only updates two pages a week so I can devote a little more time to giving it color; that, and black-and-white comics tend to give my writer a headache so she requested when we started that I draw the comic in color.

So yeah, take it on a case-by-case basis. If you want to experiment with color, go for it (art is all about experimentation), but if it's not working for you, don't be afraid to go back to B&W.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
I ultimately decided that, whether I'm just shading or using real colors, it's going to take the same amount of time. So I just say "******** it, I'll always color."

Trying to go about new concepts with that, but... yeah.

So now I do both. The trick is to make a schedule and keep to it, no matter what. If you're behind schedule, you drop ******** everything and draw.

Or make a buffer, yeah.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces