Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Sex Symbol

8,250 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Hi everyone. I'm Knightfurie and I was looking for some basic advice on how to start "brushing up" my writing skills. I'm about to sit down and write a plot for a web-comic that me and a close friend are starting up and I'd like to know what I could do to make things flow logically and consistently. If there are any guides, tutorials, and suggestions, I'm open ears.
Now, let me explain a few things about what I'm trying to ask for help for, specifically:
1.) I've role played semi-lit and stuff but I never sat down and wrote anything for an actual reason up until now.
2.) I'm a bit rusty and kind of bad at grammar structure and I have forgotten some basic elements and principles of writing cleanly. (I haven't taken an English class since highschool...that was like 4 years ago..) I worry too much about messing up my scripts and story.
3.) If I'm writing a script for a comic book (manga) or a "story" for a comic book, how should I go about it?
4.) I kind of don't want to reveal too much about my plot but it involves a futuristic video game and a group of students who play the game. (Akin to .Hack, Sword Art, Etc. But involves completely different elements and original ideas...)

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Well, the fastest way to get un-rusty is to just up and do it.

The Comic Book Script Archive has comic scripts to look at: http://www.comicbookscriptarchive.com/archive/category/scripts/

Celtx is a program that does script format for you. The basic version is free. I like to use it.

The most common problem I see with people who are new to scripting comics is that they often try to cram too much into a page, like too many panels or too much dialogue in one panel.

13,665 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conventioneer 300
First, be sure you are reading. Both comics and novels, anything with a story. Pay attention to how other writers introduce characters, plot, places, as well as build up, climax, end. See how published writers handle everything, and pay attention to both what you as a reader feel that works and doesn't. Talk with friends and peers of these storytelling elements. Studying story helps with writing story.

As far as physical writing, these are steps I like to take when writing.

1.) What is the plot summed up in one sentence?
ex: Character A is hungry and makes a sandwich.
With this, you've got your focus character, their goal, and why.
Then build on it. What is keeping them from meeting their goal? Perhaps there is no bread, so they must go to the store. How do they handle this? Compile a list of different preventions that get in the character's way. How do they handle or over come each obstacle? With this list done, you then can pick and choose what you feel builds the story the best. There's nothing wrong with throwing away an idea if it doesn't build the story up. Finally, figure the end. Does the character succeed in making the sandwich, or does the character fail?

2.) With your rough ideas laid out, compile bullet points. I personally like to seperate them by scene.
This allows you to see the story laid out, and figure the best flow of events. Also if you're planning for a short story, or even separating it into many chapters, it helps with the pacing. You can determine the best place to end each chapter, and start thinking of the story by pages.

3.) Finally, roughing your script. Using your bullet points as a guide, you can start writing. Something to be mindful of, make sure each page builds on the story in some way. There should never be a page in which nothing productive happens. This can be done in many ways. Introducing the character's world or building upon it, introducing a character, a disagreement or agreement happens, etc.

4.) With your story finished, begin going back and tweaking it. Personally, I like writing months to a year in advance, that way after I write, I can step away from it for a few months, and come back fresh. Fixing the story with a fresh mind helps you see many of the flaws from the initial writing. Continue to fix upon it.

5.) Once you feel its done, find someone(s) who doesn't know the story or characters read it. They can tell you on places where they got confused or felt that something was not explained well enough. The fact that they do not know the characters or story helps you to fix problems before you start the art phase. The fact that you, the writer knows every aspect of the character is good, as you can fully show them to the reader. But the weakness in this is that not every aspect of a character is told in a story, and this can cause confusion if you hint at something the was never previously explained.

6.) After that, keep fixing upon it, until it is as good and solid as it can be.

Hope this helps you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces