Welcome to Gaia! ::

Seele Kindern

As for pay, I would pay you in Gaia gold, with the rates for Japanese Mangakas. 100-500 a page, depending on quality and if you stick to the story.

Gaia Cash costs $1.00 per 100 points.

250 Gaia Cash, at the cost of $2.50, buys January's Monthly Collectible.

Those Monthly Collectible letters are currently for sale in the Marketplace for ~200,000 Gaia gold, give or take.

So simple math can be used to determine that $1.00 can, eventually, buy you about 80,000 in Gaia gold.

Which means you're offering, at most, to pay your prospective artist about 62 (and a half) cents per page.

Even Japanese mangaka make more than that.
ninitan
Khymichi
Seijaku_Ishida
Khymichi
or maybe set up a test. like post a section fo your story for artists to illustrate and reply
I doubt that'll get many takers. There's a reason why both artists and writers have samples and portfolios.

that could be true, but everyone has to adapt when they are working with others. So a portfolio can't always showcase the exact style that'll be produced

That's how professional artists work all over the world. They have a portfolio and that's it. No one is going to draw a couple of pages as a test for a job.

You don't hire an artist based on style, you hire them based on skill. A skilled artist can work in any style they want anyway.

I think you misunderstood what I meant my style. I just meant that a portfolio showcases the best of an artists skill, so you can't always see what you want. And yes i know artists are hired based on skill. But on occasions, someone could be asked to do a job that is unrelated to their portfolio and some companies do set up a test even though they offered the job after looking at your portfolio. Recently a company that specializes in vectors hired me but my portfolio doesn't showcase vectors, they called me in anyway and then we had an interview and a quick sample test. Apparently that company does it with all designers they call in. My friend was also hired on a test to see how good she an manipulate an image using PS CS1. Maybe this is just the way some companies in my part of the world does it. I'm not sure.

That's where the suggestion came from. Anyway there's no ned to be huffy about a few words.

And not even the most skilled artist can work in any style. They may know many styles but not every style to be able to produce great works every time. This is just my opinion though

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
@ Khymichi
May I say something regarding the sample providing? It is okay if the commissioner/company asks for samples in certain style, may it be vector as long as it is company unrelated. Otherwise I can suspect that company wants to milk out as much free work as possible, which is not fair towards you. You could fill your portfolio with vector work that was meant for non-existential or a non-profit cause/charity.
And any competent artist can draw in any style if competent artist studies the style they want to draw in. Might take you a bit, but it is doable if basics are there. Question is: does artist like to draw in all and any style which is often the case.
Japanese mangaka make $27 - $40 per page, which is at least 2.7 to 4 million Gaia gold per page.

No one even mildly competent is going to agree to draw a comic for Gaia gold, and if by some miracle someone does agree, they will want a lot and I mean a LOT more than 100 to 500 gold per page.

e: it's also highly unlikely that an American or European comic artist would be willing to work for mangaka rates even in real life money.
As I have said, this is JUST FOR FUN. If you feel I am being unfair, GET OFF MY THREAD.
Thank you for your time.
Khymichi
And not even the most skilled artist can work in any style. They may know many styles but not every style to be able to produce great works every time. This is just my opinion though

That's incorrect though. A good artist is able to observe, break down and easily mimic any style. Hell, I'm not even very good and even I can do it.

Also there's a difference between doing test work for a company that's going to pay you and drawing pages for someone who's literally asking you to work for free.
Seele Kindern
As I have said, this is JUST FOR FUN. If you feel I am being unfair, GET OFF MY THREAD.
Thank you for your time.

Just for fun or not, you're wrong about how much money a mangaka makes and also offering an insulting amount for art. Just say you're not paying at all if 500 gold per page is all you can do.
ninitan
Khymichi

That's incorrect though. A good artist is able to observe, break down and easily mimic any style. Hell, I'm not even very good and even I can do it.

Also there's a difference between doing test work for a company that's going to pay you and drawing pages for someone who's literally asking you to work for free.

mimicry is possible i admit, but most that i have seen are never as good as what they should have been. and at the time of the suggestion i didn't know the TS wasn't paying
Khymichi
ninitan
Khymichi

mimicry is possible i admit, but most that i have seen are never as good as what they should have been. and at the time of the suggestion i didn't know the TS wasn't paying

Here's the thing: you have probably seen hundreds of good pictures in your life, and the vast majority of them were drawn by artists whose personal style was different than the pictures you looked at. It's just that you couldn't tell that they were mimicking some other style.

That's the whole point that I'm making -- if you're looking at the work of a skilled artist, you will not be able to tell which one of the styles you're looking at is the one they're most comfortable or familiar with. That's what skill is.
ninitan
Khymichi
ninitan
Khymichi

Here's the thing: you have probably seen hundreds of good pictures in your life, and the vast majority of them were drawn by artists whose personal style was different than the pictures you looked at. It's just that you couldn't tell that they were mimicking some other style.

That's the whole point that I'm making -- if you're looking at the work of a skilled artist, you will not be able to tell which one of the styles you're looking at is the one they're most comfortable or familiar with. That's what skill is.

oh we had different things in mind again >< you make it sound like what you are talking about is how all practically all ways of working are basically copies of other ways or working. nothing is original. and its true, styles are learnt, copied, paste, deconstructed, reconstructed, and adapted.

also i just realized are we arguing or discussing? cause when i read your posts you sound extremely hostile. not changing the topic, just suddenly wondering.

Invisible Kitten

9,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Khymichi
oh we had different things in mind again >< you make it sound like what you are talking about is how all practically all ways of working are basically copies of other ways or working. nothing is original. and its true, styles are learnt, copied, paste, deconstructed, reconstructed, and adapted.

also i just realized are we arguing or discussing? cause when i read your posts you sound extremely hostile. not changing the topic, just suddenly wondering.

Naw, I don't think ninitan is being hostile, she just sounds like that a lot. Look past any hostility because she does know what she's saying.
What I would like to add is that if you are skilled enough you can replicate a lot of styles because all styles of drawing humans are based on real-life humans and if you reaaally know your human stuff then of course it would be possible to draw humans any way you would like to.
By the way if you are skilled enough (again) any work you do could be considered a great work. The measurement of 'great' is always subjective you see.

Also the OP is asking people to do days and weeks and months worth of work for free (or at least for 5 minutes' worth of Booty Grab) which I would definitely not do unless she was my BFF and had saved my life a couple of times and other things. I'm selfish and have limited time, but I know other artists have limited time as well and doing that stuff for free (especially on top of schoolwork, uni studies or earning money to pay the rent and bills) is not favourable.
The only people to take up offers like these are either subpar artists who take 5 minutes to draw a human OR extremely nice people who probably feel sorry for the writer OR people who aren't thinking who will later pull out of this commitment.
If it's just for fun, just get a friend to do it.
Cream Puffnut
Khymichi

Naw, I don't think ninitan is being hostile, she just sounds like that a lot. Look past any hostility because she does know what she's saying.
What I would like to add is that if you are skilled enough you can replicate a lot of styles because all styles of drawing humans are based on real-life humans and if you reaaally know your human stuff then of course it would be possible to draw humans any way you would like to.
By the way if you are skilled enough (again) any work you do could be considered a great work. The measurement of 'great' is always subjective you see.

Also the OP is asking people to do days and weeks and months worth of work for free (or at least for 5 minutes' worth of Booty Grab) which I would definitely not do unless she was my BFF and had saved my life a couple of times and other things. I'm selfish and have limited time, but I know other artists have limited time as well and doing that stuff for free (especially on top of schoolwork, uni studies or earning money to pay the rent and bills) is not favourable.
The only people to take up offers like these are either subpar artists who take 5 minutes to draw a human OR extremely nice people who probably feel sorry for the writer OR people who aren't thinking who will later pull out of this commitment.
If it's just for fun, just get a friend to do it.

art is mimicry of the real world and the real world is mimicry of the heavens according to a philosopher of old (i mix up all the names but i thinking you might know who it is). i didn't disagree with ninitan.

also i wasn't supporting in OP in anyway to find artists. reason I keep posting here is cause i keep getting quoted. sweatdrop
I will draw ur manga for free !! I really want to draw one but I am not good at story lines so I am vlad I found u . First on drawing one of ur characters, can u explain edzactly what ur thinking? Also, I do have school and work so it will take a long time to draw even a chapter, so....
xXsnowy-hinataXx
I will draw ur manga for free !! I really want to draw one but I am not good at story lines so I am vlad I found u . First on drawing one of ur characters, can u explain edzactly what ur thinking? Also, I do have school and work so it will take a long time to draw even a chapter, so....

Art takes time, don't worry. I have college, so I get you.

Dapper Explorer

Er... I do not know how much help I can be... since as an artist, I tend to be a little scattered.
And... as a writer I also have my own ideas of what I wish to create novel and comic wise. But I can offer my services in what I can help wish... like spreading the word or sketches or something. I apologize if I will not be able to help you.

Um... Here is my page if you are interested. http://rizu-kaabi.deviantart.com/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces