sugasu's Husband

Friendly Lunatic

--

sugasu's Husband

Friendly Lunatic

sugasu's Husband

Friendly Lunatic

High-functioning Bunny

I'll pick up a comic if I think its an interesting cover design. I've bought lots of books and comics even if I don't like its contents solely based on cover design, but that's only because I'm really into that.

I don't think muted vs. bright is the issue. A lot of people start messing with colors who shouldn't be and they have no semblance of a color palette. A decent, restricted color palette will do it for me.

I think its already been established a million times over that people are more prone to pick up a book with a character on the cover than not.

A good title helps something stick in your head a lot better, I think. I don't think its the most important thing if you're being faced with a pile of comics. But it helps through word of mouth.

I think your second pile of questions are a little too genre specific. People interested in love stories may want love triangles and sexual themes, overly troped characters work well in comedy but you probably wouldn't want that in a love story, just like you probably don't want to put any character deaths in a light-hearted comedy. If we were discussing one specific genre, that would help clarify this section a bit but its too broad and vague to answer, really.

sugasu's Husband

Friendly Lunatic

butt goddess
I'll pick up a comic if I think its an interesting cover design. I've bought lots of books and comics even if I don't like its contents solely based on cover design, but that's only because I'm really into that.

I don't think muted vs. bright is the issue. A lot of people start messing with colors who shouldn't be and they have no semblance of a color palette. A decent, restricted color palette will do it for me.

I think its already been established a million times over that people are more prone to pick up a book with a character on the cover than not.

A good title helps something stick in your head a lot better, I think. I don't think its the most important thing if you're being faced with a pile of comics. But it helps through word of mouth.

I think your second pile of questions are a little too genre specific. People interested in love stories may want love triangles and sexual themes, overly troped characters work well in comedy but you probably wouldn't want that in a love story, just like you probably don't want to put any character deaths in a light-hearted comedy. If we were discussing one specific genre, that would help clarify this section a bit but its too broad and vague to answer, really.

I do that too lol and I agree with taking interest due to nicely constructed color palettes. 3nodding

But sometimes I do stay away from novels if there are characters on them lol but I guess the best way for me to word why would be that it just depends on the way the character is set up on the page.

I apologize about the second half of the questions, you were right lol
I wasn't too sure what examples may have fit the best for what I was going for and I was eager to read what people had to say. Hopefully I replaced them with more specific/relatable examples.

(Thanks very much for having taken the time to post!)

sugasu's Husband

Friendly Lunatic

Dapper Dabbler

8,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Bumping is really unnecessary on this forum because it moves slower than molasses...

Art style is important to me. I wont read a comic if I don't like the art even if the writing is God's gift to earth.

Color palette, I'm kind of fine with anything as long as it's competent. Some people can puke rainbows and make it look good and some people make everything s**t-brown and it's a mess and vice-versa.

I don't think I've seen comics that don't have characters placed on the cover? Unless the fantasy world is just amazingly intriguing, I would have a hard time buying a comic without seeing the characters on the cover.

Well, one comic I bought without knowing almost anything besides the cover is is Torpedo.

User Image

The title needs to be memorable at least.

Um... I'm also likely to pick something up if it hits my obsessions. It can be complete crap, but I will probably look if you promise me Gay Edwardian Footmen.

---

I hate love triangles, but I typically don't read romance very often anyway? Though I feel like there are ways to add romantic conflict without going OMG WHO DO I PICK?! Because I read a lot of fanfic and AUs so it's like 300 bazillion ways for the same two characters to get together. @_@

Though a tv show I watched recently had a semi-love-triangle, but it wasn't grating because everyone involved acted like a reasonable adult.

Definitely need enough character development. If it's not a comedy, Status Quo is God is really annoying.

Yeah there are definitely times the writing doesn't play out the way I thought it would. ...it's like how 90% of my original fics are kind of reactionary to tropes I dislike how people play all the same... especially when I write vampire fiction. I have this weird thing where I "like" vampires but I hate how almost everyone writes vampires... I'm not even sure if I like how I write vampires. oTL

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I rarely pic up a manga or comic for the cover. I prefer to know the premise/ hook and a story where characters are developed and change (and romance isn't the focal point).

I like stuff that puts as much effort as it can into what it is. If its a popcorn comic, put as much as you can into the jokes and action and cheese. If its meant to hit me in the feels, don't just kill kids every page.

Also, as bad as things get in the story, I like a tiny aspect of hope to what I read (compare the chimera ant arc of HunterxHunter to other arcs).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff