Welcome to Gaia! ::

Amorous Millionaire

Two days ago I spent a night at the wonderful DSO (look it up).

It was an interesting night with the world renonwn DSO conductor Maestro Jaap van Zweden, Recipient of the Musical America Conductor of the Year award back in 2012

Started off wonderfully with Sinfonia da Requiem, Op.20 by Benjamin Britten

Then went into Symphony No.3 in F, Op.90 by Johannes Brahms after a short applause.

After that came an intermission

The last piece of the night was Violin Concerto in D, Op. 77 by Johannes Brahms and the main violin part and Solo Cadenza was played by a guest violinist from Germany.

All in all, the 1st and 3rd pieces were really good. I thought that the 2nd piece was just dragged out too long and the four movements were just too long.

Though, it was a great concert either way. sadly i don't have any recordings or tapes or anything so i can't share any of those here

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
I actually had the opportunity to visit Dallas last year to attend the ACDA national convention, and I was quite impressed by the arts district. We weren't really able to see much of the symphony in action although we did see John Rutter conduct the Fauré Requiem and Rutter's own Mass of the Children in what I think was the symphony hall? (It's hard to keep track - you guys have so many performance spaces!)

I haven't actually seen any of those pieces live, but it sounds like a good concert. I have to say, I'm less than thrilled with the offerings here in Austin - they don't seem to have a conception of programming anything other than "the classics" which I find really boring (I mean, I enjoyed Beethoven 9 when I first saw it, but now I'm kind of over it, you know?) While this concert program doesn't seem the most adventurous (that Brahms concerto is super popular), at least they're trying a little! I love Britten, that's for sure. 3nodding I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, though smile

Amorous Millionaire

Keakealani

The concerto was wonderful as well as the Britten piece. The Britten piece was more modern, but it was a great opener and the violin concerto was a wonderful closer. I've heard that the Fauré Requiem is a wonderful piece as well as Mass of Children and it probably was in the Meyerson Symphony Hall. That is pretty much the only place performances are done I think. DSO is now on the map thanks to Maestro van Zweden though. He does do guest appearances, and if you ever get a chance to watch him conduct; you would be amazed.

Also this weekend, he starts the JFK Memorial Concerts. That will be interesting though i don't have tickets to go see it. I want to though.

though this is going to be featured:

Tao: The World Is Very Different Now
Sibelius: Violin Concerto
Milhaud: Murder of a Great Chief of State
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3, Eroica

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
animefanatic208
Very cool! ^_^ Yeah, that Brahms concerto is really wonderful - I've never seen it live but I've heard recordings and it's certainly a stellar closer smile And yes, I think you're right - Meyerson sounds familiar! XD I was a little bit overstretched trying to attend all the various concerts and sessions for the conference but it was a really cool experience. I admit I was actually surprised - Dallas wasn't really on my radar for classical music before, but I can see it's going in a positive direction, which is really nice to see smile

Amorous Millionaire

Keakealani
A better direction than Austin Symphony Orchestra?

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
animefanatic208
Keakealani
A better direction than Austin Symphony Orchestra?

To be honest, we recently relocated to Austin and I haven't had a chance to see any of their offerings - but that being said, their last season's calendar wasn't particularly appealing, as I only noticed a couple of concerts that sounded interesting/unique (unfortunately scheduling/budget prevented us from seeing any concerts). There might be some movement in the future but it wasn't impressive to me coming from a city that has a relatively small, but very adventurous classical music community. *shrug* I'm kind of picky about my live music experiences especially since I'm on a college student budget and can't afford to go to a lot of concerts all the time.

Amorous Millionaire

Keakealani

Oh, i didn't even know there was an Austin Symphony Orchestra to tell the truth.

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
animefanatic208
Oh, i didn't even know there was an Austin Symphony Orchestra to tell the truth.
Lol, yeah. It doesn't appear to be very well-known or anything. If anything, most of the particularly strong offerings in Austin were through UT and the Austin Fine Arts, but the Symphony doesn't seem to have as much going on. I can't comment on the quality as I've never seen them, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dallas had a better orchestra XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff