Welcome to Gaia! ::

Junior Gaian

8,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
So, out of nowhere, a few days ago...my laptop has been constantly asking me to update Windows 8.

It's really becoming an inconvenience, because:
a) the laptop I bought CAME with Windows 8 already installed.
b) whenever I click activate, it leads me to my settings, where it says that it can't activate at this time and to try again later.
c) the customer service link below all of that seemingly does nothing.
d) apparently I can't use any of my windows 8 apps until this issue is resolved.
e) really feeling '******** you windows' right now.

How can I fix this?
Preferably without talking to people on the phone?
Take it to whoever sold you the laptop. Demand they fix it or give you your money back.

Junior Gaian

8,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
psychic stalker
Take it to whoever sold you the laptop. Demand they fix it or give you your money back.
It's waaay too late for refunds. sweatdrop
I like my laptop, but it's been acting crazy lately.
I just want to activate it, and keep it moving.
Even though it should have been already... stare
x BATMAN xx
psychic stalker
It's waaay too late for refunds. sweatdrop
I like my laptop, but it's been acting crazy lately.
I just want to activate it, and keep it moving.
Even though it should have been already... stare
The only three options you have ever had, then, are:
  1. Get rid of Windows
  2. Get a new, legitimate copy of Windows and install it
  3. Call Microsoft on the phone and beg forgiveness for something you never did and aren't responsible for.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
They sold you a product that is showing signs of having stolen parts. As in, the OS.

You could easily tell them to either fix your problem or you'll fix it for them. i.e. turn them in.

Aged Member

Sonic Offline
They sold you a product that is showing signs of having stolen parts. As in, the OS.

You could easily tell them to either fix your problem or you'll fix it for them. i.e. turn them in.

I agree with this statement completely.

If you bought this from a private computer store, they most likely did not put a legitimate copy of windows on your computer.

I would raise some hell and get them to buy a windows 8 code for you.
Does the computer have a Windows 8 sticker, with a product key on it? If so, when you go to activate, you'll see an option to change the product key.

Enter the key on the sticker, see if it activates then.

If it does not, you were sold a computer with a counterfeit product key.

Dapper Gaian

1,225 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
If you bought it from a small place, check with them first? If not..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/cfr/report.aspx

If you bought it from a large company (dell or HP) and it came with win8, it probably won't have a cdkey sticker.

Wealthy Capitalist

6,100 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Big Tipper 100
WWLink
If you bought it from a small place, check with them first? If not..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/cfr/report.aspx

If you bought it from a large company (dell or HP) and it came with win8, it probably won't have a cdkey sticker.

^This.

You are using an illegal counterfeit copy of Windows 8.

Microsoft will give you a free licence to Windows 8 if you report the company who illegally sold you this computer.
michaelaisgreat
Microsoft will give you a free license to Windows 8 if you report the company who illegally sold you this computer.

This is not true. Microsoft doesn't give a s**t about petty small-time builders screwing over individual users, just as they don't give a s**t about people who pirate their operating system. It's not worth their time. Their cash cows are office and their enterprise licensing for server, exchange, Lync, etc. Wasting time prosecuting small-time delinquents costs them to much money than leaving it be and updating their varying product activation and DRM implementations.

Secondly, it's a near guarantee that what she has installed on her computer is perfectly legitimate. What likely occurred here is something that has happened occasion for many years now: a pre-activated OEM image was updated or changed in some way that made it attempt to authenticate with Microsoft's activation servers. However the product key that is built-in to the OS is not capable of activation with those servers. It's not supposed to be activated. That's why it is pre-activated in the first place.

With Windows 8 this was supposed to change with many OEMs. Individual product keys are generally imprinted in the BIOS/UEFI. Off-hand, I don't know if these keys and installations are still considered "pre-activated" or how many OEMs are actually doing this. I haven't really looked into it so I can't offer a solution besides reimaging the computer with the manufacturer's recovery manager (and not the Windows 8 refresh/reset options) but this has been an ongoing intermittent issue with prebuilt computers for a long while now.
Minion4Hire
This is not true. Microsoft doesn't give a s**t about petty small-time builders screwing over individual users, just as they don't give a s**t about people who pirate their operating system. It's not worth their time.
The BSA does. Those guys are ******** vicious.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff