Welcome to Gaia! ::

Have you damaged any electronics with water? You might be able to fix it. The sooner you catch it, the more likely it will be to work.
=======> NOTE: If the item is under warranty, just have the factory fix it for you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
SUPPLIES LIST:
1) Damaged electronic item
2) Screwdriver or other way to get it open
3) Uncooked rice
4) Oxygen absorber packets (Optional, but will increase results)
5) Large bowl
6) Colored tape (Optional, for marking connections)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1: REMOVE THE BATTERY! (If possible, and if a battery is there in the first place) The battery will corrode if left in and could fry the circuit boards.
Step 2: Removing the battery should have powered down the device. If not, turn it off.
Step 3: Take the bowl, and fill it with uncooked rice. Any type of rice is fine. You may also use those oxygen absorbers that come with beef jerky and stuff like that. Just cut open the packet and mix it with the rice
Step 4: Take out the circuit boards, and mark the connecting cables with colored tape if you want to (This will ensure easy re-assembly)
Step 5: Put the circuit board(s) in the bowl of rice. Wait about 24 hours. Remove boards.
Step 6: Re-assemble the device, and put the battery back in.
Step 7: Turn it on. Hopefully, it will work.
--------------------------------------------------------------
How does it work, you ask?
Well, water is H2O. That means it has 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen molecule. The rice is an oxygen absorber. It sucked the oxygen out of the water. All that was left was the hydrogen, and it floated away, because it was a gas.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
I wouldn't follow this advice if I were anyone reading.
Angry baconman
How does it work, you ask?
Well, water is H2O. That means it has 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen molecule. The rice is an oxygen absorber. It sucked the oxygen out of the water. All that was left was the hydrogen, and it floated away, because it was a gas.
lolno.

Rice is not an oxygen absorber. It's dried and has had its water extracted, so it readily absorbs water to reach an osmotic balance.

It does not extract the oxygen. Separating oxygen from hydrogen in water requires a significant amount of energy, like electrical stimulation or a high-energy exothermic chemical reaction with a high-energy oxidizer (like iron or magnesium or sulfur or potassium.)

Suggesting the disassembly of the device is also not a good idea - it's easy to destroy electronics by mishandling them, simply by exposing them to static electric shock - shocks you can't even feel.
Water causes damage by creating a connection to circuits that shouldn't be connected. This is called "Shorting out" and once a part does that, it is gone. It must be replaced.

Newbie Noob

10,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Sticking things in rice also gets rice dust all over them and kind of exacerbates the problem. Ask me about the time I dropped my cell phone in a full cup of coffee. I'm still mad about that because I had that phone 5 years or so without breaking or damaging it, aside from a few cosmetic scratches. Also mad because I had to toss the coffee. emo

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
The technique of using desiccants (such as uncooked rice) to dry out and revive electronics is an old and effective technique. Not every electrical short causes irreparable damage. Often, once the device has been dried completely, it will return to operating normally.

As for getting your device dusty, there are two simple solutions.
1) Use rice that isn't "enriched". Often the dust you see is additives.
2) Wrap the device in a paper towel or coffee filter before burying it in rice. The filter will protect it from dust but water can still pass through easily.

I would also not generally recommend disassembling the device, at least not any further than is necessary to remove the battery. That is really the only component that you want to remove (and as quickly as possible) to prevent the possibility of a damaging electrical short. However, you should avoid exposing circuit boards.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff