Welcome to Gaia! ::

kaykeyser
I have a few questions about cell phones

1. why do people NEED to have IM, text,ring tones, screen savers games, internet...ect...you can't wait till you get home?

2. why do people turn phones on when in places (like church or the movies) were your asked to turn them off? who's so important that you need to let them ring you just ti say "sory cant talk now"

3. how slow or quick did you rush out to buy your 1st cell phone?

1) Simple answer: They don't. Complex answer: They don't, but what's wrong with them having them? You might as well ask "why do people need instant messengers, e-mail, recreational websites, flash games, and customizable browsers? " If the intent of the internet was to have a research tool, then none of that is needed. Similarly, none of the add-ons to cel phones are needed if they're meant to make telephone calls. People find them useful, interesting, and amusing, though, so they want them.

In other words, there's a demand, so companies supply that demand.

2) Because they enjoy me throwing things at them in the movies. Seriously though, people are inconsiderate. The people that leave cell phones on in inappropriate places are the same people that will run to cut in line at the supermarket.

People are Richards.

3) I got my first cell phone in 1996. I quickly realized that I didn't like being constantly connected to people, and I let the service expire. I have one now, but all of three people have the number.
1. ring tones for customized fun, if you had a phone you would know how annoying those ones on there can be, i use AIM on my phone so i can talk away from home because i don't go home 3 days out of the week and have no access to PC's, and internet is just for messing around with while bored and so are games.

2. when in movies, hospitals, etc. i turn mine on vib SO as no to disturbe any one.

3. my mom got it for me one day out of the blue.
Funny... I thought I already posted in here. Anyway, I'll reiterate the convergence theme. My next phone -will- be a Windows Mobile based smartphone. I can finally ditch my iPaq, I won't need to take my camera everywhere, and won't need to carry around an MP3 player. I'll go from four commonly carried devices, down to one. Also, if all my stuff gets stolen, I'll be out one 500$ device, rather than:

1) 400$ camera
2) 200$ MP3 player
3) 200$ Phone
4) 350$ PDA

Rather than carry a bag full of stuff, I'll carry my phone in my pants, which is much less likely to get forgotten on a park bench and stolen.

4,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
kaykeyser

1. why do people NEED to have IM, text,ring tones, screen savers games, internet...ect...you can't wait till you get home?

Well I text all the time, it's great when you want to send a message to someone and not talk on the phone. It's also good when I am in class and I can message my friend. I don't really play games on mine all that much, but for the screen savers and ring tones I like to set individual for my friends so I know who is calling. And I have a camra phone so if I want to upload my pictures somewhere I need the internet. But it does come in handy to have the net on your phone and you can look something up while you are out.

kaykeyser

2. why do people turn phones on when in places (like church or the movies) were your asked to turn them off? who's so important that you need to let them ring you just ti say "sory cant talk now"

These people suck. My friend did that to us three times during a movie I finaly told him to leave. I can't stand it when people have very long conversions on the train; have it on in the movies, a play, in class and ect. I turn the ringer off or I shut the off off completely.

kaykeyser

3. how slow or quick did you rush out to buy your 1st cell phone?

I didn't my Mom bought me a crapular one for my High School Graduation. And I didn't use it for years. One I got one that was a little better (aka not a brick) I started to use it more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff