Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you ask me, it shouldn't exist. It's American history, and it should be taught, but there's a time and a place. Preferably high-school/colllege, or even by parents, if they wish their children to have said information.

I would imagine if I was black, and in elementary school, I would feel less than human around this time of the year. Or possibly prideful that "my people" overcame "those hardships".

Shirtless Raider

I'm not here saying Black History Month shouldn't exist, but you don't see women creating a "Women's History Month" showing all the hardships that women had to overcome throughout history. Such as going from being a simple married housewife to being able to be a working woman and gaining the right to vote

Playful Guildswoman

Areweeffingserious
If you ask me, it shouldn't exist. It's American history, and it should be taught, but there's a time and a place. Preferably high-school/colllege, or even by parents, if they wish their children to have said information.

I would imagine if I was black, and in elementary school, I would feel less than human around this time of the year. Or possibly prideful that "my people" overcame "those hardships".

Well...I wasn't taught, and it's the first time I've heard someone say that mentioning black history should be under the control of parents....(protect the innocent ears?)

I live in San Francisco Bay Area, which is one of the most diverse areas in the country, and came from Kansas, one of the least, although I hear it is changing. A PBS tv station here used to put out a monthly guide before funding became such a problem, and there was a theme for each month. A lot of those celebrated diversity.

Playful Guildswoman

Raven Xavier Kitari
I'm not here saying Black History Month shouldn't exist, but you don't see women creating a "Women's History Month" showing all the hardships that women had to overcome throughout history. Such as going from being a simple married housewife to being able to be a working woman and gaining the right to vote

Lol - there IS a Women's History month! ^^ Just google those 3 words, and you will find it.

Aged Gekko

7,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Brandisher 100
I agree it shouldn't exsist, but for different reasons. I always felt the celebrated month was out of place, but never mentioned it because I knew someone would take it as being racist. But someone put it into words for me not too long ago. They said its a disgraceful month, Black history is American History, why do we have to take a whole month to make sure people understand what that history is? There is no White History month, so by seperating the two by making a black history month one can only assume that the other 11 months are more about white history. It is almost more racist to set it up this way, it is like saying "Your history isn't good enough so we will designate one month to it and the rest is ours."

Correct me if I am wrong, but the month is all about furthering the abolishment of narrow-minded racism. Well wouldn't that be better understood if we truely treated african americans like equals and made thier history a common part of general american history? I don't know, this is my unorganized rant. Sure the month is educational, but I feel it is only because we tend to neglect it for the rest of the year. I mean, I don't see a month dedicated to our advancements in space exploration, but I know what has gone down and who has gone up. It is because I read a book every once in a while, and paid attention in class.

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

@Dack Marrs, the other 11 ARE when we teach white history. The recording of history has a white bent to it, and that is why BHM exists; as a patch to help even things out since expecting the whole system to stop sucking overnight (which, for something as entrenched as racism, overnight is a few decades) isn't feasible.

Raven Xavier Kitari

LOL, for serious? It starts this week and has been around for a good while, formally for the past 25 years.

6,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
it shouldnt
I'm not saying it shouldn't exist..I believe it should however what is celebrated should be changed. One of my best friends is black and said that when he was in middle school/highschool he learned about slaves and admitted that he shunned all white people for that very reason. He became the same racist type that his people fought to stop. He admitted he was wrong and said this is what needs to be stopped being taught in schools at young ages.

Theres nothing to celebrate but if people want to they will. Just teach the good stuff, not the horrible. It'll ruin the children.
No one should be forced to learn patently black history. That's not a real historical time period. If you're taking an American History class that covers events that happened fairly recently, then it would be appropriate to touch on what happened with the slaves, but there's no need to make a big deal about, "It's black history so it's extra special!"

I'd rather people handle this s**t outside of an academic environment than in one, because how we have it now if you want to learn about black history you can, and if you don't you can just ignore the month like I have. I don't see the month as a hindrance per se, though it does represent an unfair bias towards black people which is annoying.
You should see what Morgan Freeman said about it. I agree with him lol

Rainbow Lover

You know the QWERTY layout of the keyboard? That was specifically made to make it harder to type with all the most commonly used letters as far apart as possible. People that typed went through a hard time because when commonly used letters were next to each other they would jam the keys. We all still use it and accept it today. When people realize how stupid this is they start to think "This shouldn't exist"
Will that change? No! We will continue to use these keyboard for quite some time. If you try to get people to change, they're going to get mad or refuse to change. Schools teach this system, schools are teaching this out of date and less efficient method of typing. It's all the way in the school system. We learn it because those people that were first learning to type on the typewriter were having a really rough time with key jamming and we never changed, we never stopped and said "This shouldn't exist anymore" besides a few people that switched to other layouts like Dvorak, and those people were left in the cold for not being able to use other keyboard.

Now take the same exact concept and apply it to Black History Month. Do you get what I'm trying to say? It doesn't really matter how stupid, out of date, or irrelevant it is, it's not going away any time soon. Should it go away? Yeah, it probably should... but it's not.
Wolftrot
You know the QWERTY layout of the keyboard? That was specifically made to make it harder to type with all the most commonly used letters as far apart as possible. People that typed went through a hard time because when commonly used letters were next to each other they would jam the keys. We all still use it and accept it today. When people realize how stupid this is they start to think "This shouldn't exist"
Will that change? No! We will continue to use these keyboard for quite some time. If you try to get people to change, they're going to get mad or refuse to change. Schools teach this system, schools are teaching this out of date and less efficient method of typing. It's all the way in the school system. We learn it because those people that were first learning to type on the typewriter were having a really rough time with key jamming and we never changed, we never stopped and said "This shouldn't exist anymore" besides a few people that switched to other layouts like Dvorak, and those people were left in the cold for not being able to use other keyboard.

Now take the same exact concept and apply it to Black History Month. Do you get what I'm trying to say? It doesn't really matter how stupid, out of date, or irrelevant it is, it's not going away any time soon. Should it go away? Yeah, it probably should... but it's not.

...That.... explains so much...
I think instead of African-American history. It should be on a wider scale. More of cultural awareness.
Anthony6787678
I think instead of African-American history. It should be on a wider scale. More of cultural awareness.

Because white people are so ignorant? lol (Not disagreeing; At least not about Americans.)

Questionable Borg

Areweeffingserious

President Ford, (who was white) came up with Black History Month. So, it's not all about racism. Now, does it still serve the purpose it was orginally meant to serve? No. But I still think it has a purpose

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff