Welcome to Gaia! ::

Generous Businessman

13,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Shockingcat
Is it me or speed is a negligible power at best? If you move too fast people complain your breaking the game, if you move faster than "normal" people tend to dismiss it and instead be capable of moving faster than you regardless, so it feels like a lose lose situation.

Well, it depends.

Being able to run at high speed is VERY different from being able to swing a sword so fast that no one can see it, or pumping out six hits in a single post. The inherent skill of swordsmanship is lost in the jumbled attempt to move faster...as opposed to moving with purpose.

We assume that everyone who fights on Gaia has the ability to perceive their surroundings at the same rate...so, a punch delivered by a martial-artist (while quick) can still be noticed by a wizard. He may not be able to do anything about it, but he is at least aware of it.

This is why, often times, a fight with two swordsmen quickly becomes a contest of skill...not speed. It's all about balanced counter-measures, proper footwork, timing, and defense. Each warrior waiting for that fateful opening, or critical mistake, to strike a telling blow!

Angelic Seeker

9,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Fair enough, I guess its more of experience of what I've fought where others tend to just go "HA! impossible dodge and counter because I'm faster"

Benevolent Spook

15,600 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Full closet 200
  • Candy Fiend 150
Shockingcat
Is it me or speed is a negligible power at best? If you move too fast people complain your breaking the game, if you move faster than "normal" people tend to dismiss it and instead be capable of moving faster than you regardless, so it feels like a lose lose situation.

That's the funny thing with speed abilities. If your character is fast enough to basically be able to beat the reaction speed of a typical person, then it's as if your character is a bullet, right? It can be used well, but for the most part those kinds of abilities tend to be a bit boring. If you can unload a punch in the other guys face before his brain even knows what his eyes saw, how is he supposed to answer that?

It makes for some pretty cheesy or boring story telling on both sides, usually. (Not to say that it always ends that way)

I wind up a blow and send a punch your way! But my speed is so great that from thew time it takes me to start the wind up and telegraph my strike to when it would land on your nose is 100 milliseconds. Good luck dodging.

Being that the fastest I can hope to react is around 180 milliseconds, I am struck in the face by a fist moving so fast that you broke your hand on my nose. Thanks chump.

Angelic Seeker

9,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Spooky Mittens
Shockingcat

That's the funny thing with speed abilities. If your character is fast enough to basically be able to beat the reaction speed of a typical person, then it's as if your character is a bullet, right? It can be used well, but for the most part those kinds of abilities tend to be a bit boring. If you can unload a punch in the other guys face before his brain even knows what his eyes saw, how is he supposed to answer that?

It makes for some pretty cheesy or boring story telling on both sides, usually. (Not to say that it always ends that way)

I wind up a blow and send a punch your way! But my speed is so great that from thew time it takes me to start the wind up and telegraph my strike to when it would land on your nose is 100 milliseconds. Good luck dodging.

Being that the fastest I can hope to react is around 180 milliseconds, I am struck in the face by a fist moving so fast that you broke your hand on my nose. Thanks chump.

Yet the other guy will always be faster, and is capable of dodging such attack because his post said he could.
Bwahahahaha my creation is almost complete to enter the tournament. cat_pirate

Benevolent Spook

15,600 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Full closet 200
  • Candy Fiend 150
Shockingcat
Yet the other guy will always be faster, and is capable of dodging such attack because his post said he could.

So you missed my point .___.

Familiar Citizen

Shockingcat
*Chews*
I was about to type an elaborate response but in the time it took me to write it two people replied with pretty much on the spot answers. I've missed my opportunity to score cool points...

On another note, my character is taking longer than intended... cat_sweatdrop

Angelic Seeker

9,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Spooky Mittens

So you missed my point .___.

No I saw your point. As I said in the previous post that either you move too fast and people get angry at you or see it as you said boring. Or that your speed doesn't matter because the other player will always be able to react faster.

Generous Businessman

13,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
GalaxyCommander

The Unanimated

Feed me profiles! scream

Angelic Seeker

9,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The Unanimated
*Chews*
I was about to type an elaborate response but in the time it took me to write it two people replied with pretty much on the spot answers. I've missed my opportunity to score cool points...

*munches*

Write faster?

Familiar Citizen

Slash Zinrai
GalaxyCommander

The Unanimated

Feed me profiles! scream

Random question that is not at all representative of my current, final, or planned product!
What do you think about information obtaining powers?

Familiar Citizen

Shockingcat
The Unanimated
*Chews*

*munches*

Write faster?

*Nibbles*
My brain is functioning slower than my fingers! Stupid inferior brain! cat_crying

Generous Businessman

13,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The Unanimated

Random question that is not at all representative of my current, final, or planned product!
What do you think about information obtaining powers?

Completely acceptable, when paid for...and balanced accordingly.

There may even be a character with just such an ability ALREADY in play!! eek
Slash Zinrai

Feed me profiles! scream

You are not ready for the SHPLOORT!!!!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items