Welcome to Gaia! ::

DropDeadSweetHeart06's Significant Otter

Questionable Sex Symbol

10,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Clambake 200
Elishavette
it seems like at some point, a metal bender would be skilled enough to "blood bend" the iron in a persons body.

Metal benders can't use the iron in someone's body to blood bend simply because there's not enough of it. Blood bending works because of the high concentration of water in the human body. The amount of iron present wouldn't be nearly enough to control someone's movements. At the absolute most a metal bender might be able to pull the iron from a person's body, but even that would likely require an extreme level of ability given that they'd have to be able to focus on and manipulate microscopic quantities of it.

Lonely Genius

12,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Ice bending for water

Worthy Trash

T3h Jinji
I keep wondering if there isn't some cool combo bending that could be done. Like an airbender and a waterbender working together to cause a rainstorm or something. biggrin

Aang and Katara work together to form clouds. Small example but it is possible.

OP: Anyone can do psychic. It is also displayed by Ozai's father in TLA.

Also, flying shouldn't be counted. That is a sub ability, like healing is to water, seismic sense is to Earth, and Fire has that analysis thing that Fire Sage does with Korra when her memory is wiped. Air has bodily thermal control, which Tenzin mentioned in Book 3. This makes me think that a subdivision for airbending could be pressurebending.

Worthy Trash

Captain Dory
I think airbenders may have the potential to manipulate sound too.

It really doesn't have anything to do with just air. Sound travels through all matter, not just air. For a perfect example, seismic sense deals with vibrations/sound travelling through earth. And for Aang's demonstrations of "soundbending", they may just be clever uses of airbending. Aang amplifying his yell for help may be a result of him using airbending to strengthen his exhale causing his larynx (vocal chords) to produce a louder sound. Same goes with the whistle, Aang may have just used his airbending to change the rate at which it was flowing through the whistle. Either that, or he did the same tactic I mentioned with yelling.

It's not probable if it extends to other elements.

Worthy Trash

Meeowys
I have a view on Lava it the "avatar" of the elements

Lava is earth.... on fire... which moves like water... and air is actually one of the meanest forces to be reckoned with so could manipulate almost anything anyway.

I know that everyone has their own view but I've just always seen that lava could be bent by any bender if they practiced enough.

Nice to see them bring it into the show though as a adapted form of bending since in the series of Aang they only showed it as a raw force of nature which had to be stopped. or tried to anyway

that is all whee

Lava is not earth on fire. It's highly compressed earth; look it up. Initially has nothing to do with fire, though it could be possible a firebender could manipulate it due to the heat it excretes.

Elishavette

Manipulating iron in the blood would be next to impossible, if not impossible already. Not only do you have to consider the points an earlier reply made, but also that Earthbenders manipulate the fine pieces of earth in metal. I'm pretty sure our iron doesn't have that (correct me if I'm wrong). However, that makes me think.

Lightning is made of plasma, and also fire is plasma. Look it up. Plasma is the most abundant state of matter in the galaxy, as stars are mostly made of plasma. Most importantly, our blood has a lot of plasma. So, in theory, firebenders would be able to bloodbend if any other bender type could learn it. It's much more abundant in our system, and would be much, much easier to manipulate than iron.

Khatleesi Kitty's Significant Otter

Handsome Rogue

11,125 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Magical Girl 50
Z E R O - V l R U S
Meeowys
I have a view on Lava it the "avatar" of the elements

Lava is earth.... on fire... which moves like water... and air is actually one of the meanest forces to be reckoned with so could manipulate almost anything anyway.

I know that everyone has their own view but I've just always seen that lava could be bent by any bender if they practiced enough.

Nice to see them bring it into the show though as a adapted form of bending since in the series of Aang they only showed it as a raw force of nature which had to be stopped. or tried to anyway

that is all whee

Lava is not earth on fire. It's highly compressed earth; look it up. Initially has nothing to do with fire, though it could be possible a firebender could manipulate it due to the heat it excretes.

Elishavette

Manipulating iron in the blood would be next to impossible, if not impossible already. Not only do you have to consider the points an earlier reply made, but also that Earthbenders manipulate the fine pieces of earth in metal. I'm pretty sure our iron doesn't have that (correct me if I'm wrong). However, that makes me think.

Lightning is made of plasma, and also fire is plasma. Look it up. Plasma is the most abundant state of matter in the galaxy, as stars are mostly made of plasma. Most importantly, our blood has a lot of plasma. So, in theory, firebenders would be able to bloodbend if any other bender type could learn it. It's much more abundant in our system, and would be much, much easier to manipulate than iron.

Actually, going into real science here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_plasma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)
For the sake of page stretching...
Definitely not the same material there at all.
Fire also is not plasma, plasma is the fourth state of matter made from the high compression of ions in a gaseous solution creating a highly ionized solution. Paying close attention to the shows canon itself it states that fire benders control the fire using their breath, no breath=no fire. They would logically be controlling the energy(Since the show is based on chi-gong and other ancient Chinese martial arts) in their breath to ignite the air around them, it states in the show itself that a true master of fire bending is able to take the energy in the lightning itself and actually redirect it. They are bending the energy, something not scientific at all. As for science fails in the show(and i love the show); the human body is made of tons of minerals as well as we ingest an enormous amount of them in various food and spices everyday all day. An earth bender could theoretically have a field day flinging us around. Imagine all those kids that eat dirt in playgrounds...Lava is made of base metallic alloy and minerals compressed under enormous forces till they literally melt from the friction. If we look at it using physics as the background one could easily make the leap that Fire benders are not bending fire, but potential energy, releasing chemical bonds even to redirect the energy into something else.
This is evidenced by numerous cases of fire benders that could create explosions at a distance, they were releasing mass amounts of energy stored in the targets molecules themselves. As far as earth benders go... sadly not a bit of it makes sense except moving it and sensing it along the ground level, telekinetically lifting stones is just that, you have telekinesis then, not bending wink Same with most other bending (With the notable exception of Fire/Air which would really be also forms of mental manipulation)[making Avatar a somewhat more science fiction show than we thought?!?] An air bender could easily bend the other elements, making a possible explanation for their monk like attitudes, Air benders could lift things, move water around, shift stones, excite the air to cause it to combust. One could easily see the benders as not limited by elements themselves, but by their own minds. It's clear that the bending is a mental ability and not a physical one because some benders of extreme skill bend with only thoughts, meaning the bending itself is a product of pure thought sometimes augmented with motions to give form to the thought.
The benders are limited by their ability to think in certain materials in other words, if a fire bender would realize that fire bending is just air bending with 'excitement' he could under that idea bend air too(if he could make himself think differently) Remember in Avatar Wan's time period that bending was given by the Lion-Turtles to peoples that would eventually become Nations or races of people, once they started intermarriage the traits for control of the elements would have mixed along with the blood lines and core genetics of the nations, meaning that most likely what results in bending ability in a singular element is the result of the culture one is brought up in more than simple codons in gene pools, say for instance that an earth bending girl has a fire bender for a mother, but grew up heavily involved in only the earth nations culture for references, she would lean naturally toward that element, even if she had the genetic ability to control both. But! This is Avatar, and the premise is that only the Avatar can bend all elements because of Rava and blah blah, so really the creators are obviously not thinking in terms of science or the avatar being the singular person in control of more than one element is silly...or is it? Think of this.
The characters in the show that have the ability of advanced bending often combine the elements to do so. Lava bending is bending liquid minerals, earth and water. the explosion bending fire benders are controlling fire and air catching the air itself on fire to create high percussive explosions at distance, using the air to feel where it should happen.
At the end of the day, none of the bending makes scientific sense, which irritates me, and even though I love the show, every time they add some new idiocracy to it it makes it harder to ignore...

Beloved Genius

DrunkBlackDocta
Air:
Flying, Astral projection

Water:
Bloodbending, psychic waterbending

Fire:
Lightning, combustion

Earth:
Metal, Lava

Seems like it.

Astral projection is more energy bending slash spiritual energy than airbending.

Also you forgot Sand Bending on the earth subdivision.

Supreme Gaian

16,825 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conventioneer 300
You forgot the spirit bending for waterbending. Also, the woman on the island before the wan episode had some sort of divining ability through fire bending. Various colors of fire for fire bending.
Qyp
What the hell is up with idiots thinking there is "psychic waterbending"... It's called subconscious memory. She subconsciously thinks about her arms being there. Amputees sometimes get memory itches... like their ghost limbs still have an itch and they want to scratch, but can't. It's like that, they still feel their arms being there, and so they can still subconsciously waterbend like any other waterbender... Why does no one see this very very very obvious fact?

Also, "psychic" bending is what they are already technically doing. Pyrokinesis, Aquakinesis, Terrakinesis, and not sure what Air is called.

Water is ICE and Blood.

I mean...is it that serious? neutral

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas