Welcome to Gaia! ::

Heroic Senshi

I'm thinking its because of how dark it suddenly got.

Showing someone killing on screen is a first in the series and would that really fly on a channel made for young children?

Aged Zealot

User Image

I can see where Korra's ratings could have a place in it. They moved the core audience up the age bracket just enough that the main audience is old enough to forget or just not watch.

But yeah, the way the earth queen was murdered (and frankly how Amon was killed as well) was incredibly dark and surprising.User Image

Heroic Senshi

Amon being killed was surprising but it wasn't as gruesome as the Earth Queen's death.

She literally had the very oxygen in her body forced out of her mouth and away.

Gimmighoul's Wife

Quick Poster

4,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Married 100
  • Invisibility 100
Super Sailor Moon

Showing someone killing on screen is a first in the series and would that really fly on a channel made for young children?

If I remember right, Jet was the only one who really had that onscreen death, but even then it was ambiguous

"Bryan and Mike explained in the commentary for "The Ember Island Players" that Nickelodeon was against showing kids being fatally wounded or outright killed, especially by a violent attack. It also could not be revealed during the rest of the story, so Toph sensing that Jet was lying about how he would be okay was how they chose to confirm it for the viewers. Also, in the Avatar Extras for "The Ember Island Players", a commentary bubble stated, "For the record: Jet is dead". "

Friendly Bookworm

9,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
Super Sailor Moon

User Image

I can't say for sure xD but the series has gotten unusually darker lately :O Especially the end of the last episode.
User Image

Tipsy Lunatic

It's a shame the show is being wasted on such a wuss demographic. I know 10 year olds whose minds this would never even come across.

Inb4 my kids or my little siblings. Stop sheltering them.

ThyOneGuy's Oppa

There are 13 year olds getting high, drinking and having sex people need to stop trying to "shelter" kids its pointless. The only people claiming this show is to "dark" for children are holier than thou stay at home christian moms with a stick so far up their a** they can't even turn with out screaming somethings a sin

Heroic Senshi

Tragick Lullaby
There are 13 year olds getting high, drinking and having sex people need to stop trying to "shelter" kids its pointless. The only people claiming this show is to "dark" for children are holier than thou stay at home christian moms with a stick so far up their a** they can't even turn with out screaming somethings a sin
I'm not for those type of censoring. I grew up with Batman: The Animated Series which was a pretty dark series but even they show death on screen (Though, the Joker causing people to have that horrifying grin could be even worse).

Then again, the same writers and creators of Batman also did Superman which DID have an on-screen death of a fairly important character so perhaps that point is moot.

But I don't think either of those shows were on Nick. When was the last time Nick had some sort of epic with very real danger and stakes?

Opinionated Combatant

10,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
I think it was ratings. They are free to change the story whenever they want, it's not completely animated before hand.
I mean could've just been that the earth queen was knocked out if they really wanted to keep the show for "young children".

ThyOneGuy's Oppa

Super Sailor Moon
Tragick Lullaby
I'm not for those type of censoring. I grew up with Batman: The Animated Series which was a pretty dark series but even they show death on screen (Though, the Joker causing people to have that horrifying grin could be even worse).

Then again, the same writers and creators of Batman also did Superman which DID have an on-screen death of a fairly important character so perhaps that point is moot.

But I don't think either of those shows were on Nick. When was the last time Nick had some sort of epic with very real danger and stakes?
Wasn't referring to the network was simply stating with all kids do and see now a days an on screen death isn't going to scar or traumatize anyone and those that claim it will need to walk into any public school because there is worse stuff being seen and said there than most people are willing to believe.

Noob

Meanwhile nine year olds are playing CoD or Diablo. Lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff