Welcome to Gaia! ::

Thread's back, so what are you going to do?

Deal with it. 0.16666666666667 16.7% [ 6 ]
Deal with it. 0.083333333333333 8.3% [ 3 ]
Deal with it. 0.13888888888889 13.9% [ 5 ]
Be an adult... and deal with it. 0.61111111111111 61.1% [ 22 ]
Total Votes:[ 36 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 24 25 > >>

IRL Fatcat

10,550 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
• p • u • l • p •
an arena critique thread

Welcome to Pulp, a new revived avatar arena critique thread. I know, there are about three hundred million of these. However, after reading several critique threads, I decided that it would be a good idea for me to start my own. I'm Rennie Bee, an avid arena follower. You may or may not have seen me around. Here's a little about me:

Name: Rennie Bee
You may call me: Rennie
Joined Gaia on: August 2009
Profession: Student
Hobbies: Acting, painting, general arts and crafts, reading, watching Scrubs re-runs
Critique style: Fair. I do not vote down simply because I can. When you actually look at what is put through the arenas, 95% of the entries are either jokes or just plain awful. The avatars that win are usually pretty darn good compared to everything else, so they deserve a fair judgement. However, it is quite difficult to get a full 5/5 from me. So you must really impress me in order to receive one. I will not be easy on judgement, though. If I see a problem with it, I'll point it out. So don't tell me that I'm contradicting myself and "rating you down," I'm just really being honest. And honesty is the best policy. 3nodding More often than not, if you're kind and accepting of your rating, people gain respect for you. So don't b***h, whine, and cry about your ratings.

One more thing: I am very open to suggestions. If you have a question for me or you feel as though I could improve upon something, feel free to let me know. If it is regarding the thread, feel free to post. If it is regarding me, however, please send me a PM, as it is highly unprofessional to question my personality in a public forum.

IRL Fatcat

10,550 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
• r • u • l • e • s •
You should definitely read this or Rennie will be angry.

1. Don't talk about Fight Club.
2. No flaming. I don't care how much you disagree with my ratings. If you do decide to stir up some drama on my thread, I will report your post and temporarily block you. I'm trying to keep this civil and just make it a fun environment.
3. Follow the TOS, but that goes without saying.
4. Please do not ask me to rate and/or comment on any of your avatars. Go to Avatar Talk for that, there are plenty of threads that do that.
5. Please no unnecessary bumping. I don't want to look desperate for thread attention.
6. Mind your grammar, please. I cannot tolerate "lolz kai i luv dis." At least ATTEMPT to seem literate for the sake of my sanity.
7. If you do place in the top 10 and then delete your entry, I will not rate you as I cannot look at it up close. Your rate will simply be "N/A".
8. Follow the other rules.
9. Downrating my thread because I didn't give you a high rating is a d**k move. DON'T BE A d**k.

IRL Fatcat

10,550 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
• a • b • o • u • t •
Why am I even bothering to do this?

I, Rennie, began this thread in order to critique the ORIGINAL AVATAR arena. Since I am not an authority on cosplaying, most obscure animes, or even most animes in general (because, admit it, most cosplays are from anime), I do not feel comfortable judging cosplay avatars. I would merely be giving an unfair, uneducated opinion... for the most part. Maybe one day I'll actually have time to research different cosplay avatars and give a fair judgement. I'd rather just critique the originals though. ^^

IRL Fatcat

10,550 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
• c • r • i • t • i • q • u • e • s •
What you all came here to see in the first place

All righty, "nice" Rennie is back. But you are on thin ice, original arena. Also, just for funsies, I'm going to complement my avatar and add some Knives-themed graphics to spruce this week up a little. Trust me... it needs the sprucing.

• w • e • e • k • 1 •

• 1 •
User Image
This one could be better if more thought was given to complexity. I mean, it does match and nothing seriously clashes. However, the avatar itself was sold short, as it could be far more complex than it actually is. The addition of the background was a nice beginning, but the avatar itself is what drags it down. I'd recommend much more black distribution, and even more white distribution. With a little work this could be brought up, but the issue is that this color combination is very easy to do because black and white can really be easily matched with any color to provide a pleasant result. Also, the blush bugs me and I don't like that she doesn't have a mouth. RATING: 2/5

• 2 •
User Image
I'm really unsure about this avatar because it's very cute and it's got character, but the matching really throws me off. I wish that there was something around the chest and the shoulders, preferably pink, because that whole area seems very bare and there isn't enough character justification to make up for it. I also don't like how many shades of the different colors are there, because it's just too much to look at and it takes away from the flow of the avatar itself. I think I'd really love this if the item dispersion/matching was worked on, but for now I simply like it. RATING: 3/5

• 3 •
User Image
I just can't stand those eyes. They're bulky and unattractive. The rest of the avatar doesn't really match at all and has a forced, lacking theme that doesn't really get it anywhere. I like character/story avatars, so this was a nice attempt, but overall the execution was not up to par. Knives, you know what to do.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
RATING: 1/5

• 4 •
User Image
I really don't know how to feel about this one. I think that I would like it if the umbrella wasn't there, because it's extremely nebulous. I don't really care for the way that the avatar was hidden, and I think that there might be better ways to accomplish that. It's nice, but that entire top half really throws it off for me. RATING: 3/5

• 5 •
User Image
It's a three item avatar with an extremely overdone theme. NegaKnives...

• 6 •
User Image
I think it needs a lot more blue and yellow to balance out the colors. The overuse of the Egyptian jewelry seems to throw off the groove because they're such strong colors as opposed to the pastels. The feet are lacking in yellow, so I'd spread some there. The face is, once again, lacking a mouth, and the blush is unnecessary. I also don't like it when people think it's perfectly fine to let the Porridge hairs glitch out like that when they're put under a hat. If half of the hair is cut off, I'd pick another hair because that looks very awkward. It's all right and it was a nice try, but it needs something to make it pop. RATING: 2/5

• 7 •
User Image
This barely qualifies as an original, and it's not much of an accurate representation of what it's trying to portray. Mrs. Chau, would you care to assist us?

• 8 •
User Image
... *Sigh* Same story here. Oh well, it's worth the Guts Points. Mrs. Chau?
RATING: 0/5

• 9 •
User Image
This avatar is a simple monochrome avatar with nothing that makes it stand out, and to top it all off, a palette and brush were thrown on. I think that the theme needs severe work and definitely some clever color distribution would help, because it looks like a cop-out entry to me. It's better than the monochrome avatar that placed last week, but it's not arena-ready yet and needs some special attention. RATING: 2/5

• 10 •
User Image
I think I would like this a lot more if the eyes weren't so bold and if the top of the hair wasn't such a dark purple. I think that the blue on the shoulders isn't really balanced out enough, and that the lantern looks a little awkward. Honestly, I think it's just those eyes that are really dragging me away from the entry. I'd choose another pair and maybe disperse the colors a little more. I really like the color combination because it's different, but it just doesn't fully look right to me. I know that it's unique and it's much better than the rest of the entrants, but honestly I just don't care for it all that much. Ordinarily I don't give half points, but I want to distinguish this one from the rest of the 3's I've given. RATING: 3.5/5

Aww, I didn't get to use this one:

IRL Fatcat

10,550 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
• f • a • v • o • r • i • t • e • s •
I like things.
User ImageUser Image

IRL Fatcat

10,550 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
• s • p • o • t • l • i • g • h • t •
Arena entries that caught my eye.

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Knight of the Runway ~ Tutti Frutti ~ Blood Demon ~ Sunday ~ The Amethyst Princess ~ Battle Mage

IRL Fatcat

10,550 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
• r • e • s • e • r • v • e • d •
For later use.

IRL Fatcat

10,550 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
• o • p • e • n •
You all may now flood the boards with your posts of glory.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff