Not at all 0.1048951048951 10.5% [ 15 ]
Total Votes:[ 143 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Welcome, one and all, to my help thread. Each week, we find a handful of users with excuses of why they didn't put up a reference image. Well, I'm here to hopefully help with that problem. If you spot someone in the arenas who has an excuse, please feel free to link them my thread~

Please follow Gaia's ToS and the overall forum rules.

I will be featuring how to upload to two different image hosting sites using the URL from the web. I have a few reserved spaces, so if someone would like suggest something to add, let me know!. Please use the table of contents below to navigate to the post that interests you.

Table of Contents
1.) Intro/Table of Contents (You are here)
2.) The Basics - Know the Submission Form
3.) Photobucket
4.) Tinypic
5.) "Hotlinking"
6.) Frequently Asked Questions

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100

The Basics - Knowing the Submission Form

User Image

User Image
1. This category can include your original characters, characters that might be inspired by a "well-known" character, character designs that aren't cannon (no official artwork for it exists, it never happened in the game/show), etc.
2. This category is exact opposite of the other one, where you are submitting something that is official and can match your reference image that you provide. It does NOT have to be from an anime/game, as it states you can do an animal (jellyfish) or an object (lamp).
Use the drop down menu to select the appropriate category for your avatar that you're submitting.

User Image
*I'm aware it says optional, but there is an unwritten rule in the cosplay arena that your entry must be accompanied by a reference image. I've never seen an entry place without one. If you're wanting to place, or even have a chance, you should provide a reference image. Not everyone will know who you're cosplaying, and they will not go out of their way to find one for you.
Things along the lines of mythical beings (i.e. Zeus, Aphrodite, Hera) should also be accompanied by a reference image and your avatar should match that image, otherwise you won't get fair votes since there are so many different interpretations as to their appearances.

If you click "preview" you'll get to see your entry like the voters will when it's in the voting stage! It will look something like this:
User Image
You can either click "edit" and fix a few things, or if you're happy with what you see, you can click "submit".

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100

User ImageUser Image

How to Upload a URL to Photobucket
Follow the images and instructions below. The method I explained is to prevent hotlinking.

User Image
User Image
User Image

User Image
User Image
User Image
1. Click the URL tab
2. Choose the folder you want the picture in (optional)
3. Put the URL in this box... either pressing ctrl+v or right click and press paste
User Image
Use the Direct Link for your reference image

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100

User ImageUser Image

How to upload to tinypic using a URL
If you don't want to create a Photobucket account, you can use tinypic and still get good results!

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
1. Paste your URL here
2. Click "Upload"
User Image
Use the "Direct Link" to put in the reference image box for your avatar

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100

"Hotlinking"
Remember...
"Hotlinking" (what I am about to explain to you) is highly frowned upon. I am not promoting that you hotlink in no way whatsoever, but I am showing you another option if you refuse Photobucket (account needed) or TinyPic (no account needed).

The process is rather simple... using your preferred web browser, you simply follow the instructions for finding your image that you want and simple copy the URL and paste it in the reference image box on your submission for the arenas.

This CAN have a tendency to backfire, because it's not always reliable. Your images may disappear or end up faulty, which can hurt your chances in the arenas.

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100

User ImageUser Image

Frequently Asked Questions
(and problems)

1.) The image URL I copied doesn't show the picture when I view my entry. What do I do?
Make sure you've followed all the steps I wrote down and posted. If you are still having problems, feel free to post here and I will help you out to the best of my abilities. (Note: I may ask for screenies to see your problem. If I do, make sure you black out the important parts (gold, etc.).)

2.) I followed all your steps, and when I hit preview, I get this memo:
User Image
What do I do?

This will pop up no matter where you took the reference image URL from, even photobucket, which is listed as a whitelisted domain. Just hit "submit", and it will show up. I get this message all the time when I submit, and never have any problems with my reference image.
Kefka Palazzo -FF6- also kindly added this bit of information about this error message:
Quote:
Even if you're using Photobucket, this would pop up if the image size is too big or the file used is too large. This can easily be fixed by making the image smaller. I usually make it no bigger than 200px wide and it allows me to preview before submission.

3.) It says my photo on photobucket has been moved. What do I do?
If it is not from your own personal photobucket account, it's more than likely that the owner of the picture has moved it and/or deleted it. The URL is now invalid. It's recommended that you make your own photobucket account in case this event happens. Photobucket accounts are free and easy to use.
If it is from your own account, you did something wrong. Find your image quickly and restore the reference image.

4.) I chose the wrong reference image. Can I change it while it's in the voting stage?
Yes. You can change your preferences of comments, your description, title, and reference image while the avatar is up for voting. Just go into the arenas, click "My Stuff", and click "Edit" under the avatar/entry you wish to alter.
EDIT: At this point in time, because of a bug that needs fixing, the "Edit" option is not working.

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
reserved just in case

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
reserved just in case

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
reserved just in case

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
reserved just in case

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
aaaand it's open!

Beloved Humorist

FULL OF WIN. STICKY THIS NOW. emotion_donotwant

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Sho-NUFF!
FULL OF WIN. STICKY THIS NOW. emotion_donotwant

xD Thank you Sho-NUFF! I was happy to see <3 votes when I came home while it was still under construction! C:

Shameless Hoarder

12,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
This is most awesome! <3's for you!

Supportive Member

14,700 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Naramaru