Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
BENJI BUTT
Delphiinae
BENJI BUTT
You don't know where or how to market your work and quite frankly, its not the type of work people want to see or care about. And I'm not saying it gotta be digital or anything. I work traditionally myself and cultivated a large enough following to make a living.

The reason you're not popular isn't your audience's fault. Potential fans don't owe you anything. You're not presenting an interesting or unique thing and your presentation is low quality.

so i'm not good enough? or rather not as good as i think... not unique... that's actually a first...

most people told me i just need to push more, but okay

One of the hardest things to learn is that if you've been trying for so many years and nothing is happening, you have to change something. I don't think your work is bad, its just not interesting because it looks like you're doing the same thing over and over again. But in general, I don't see that style really getting you places. Its just not interesting to look at regardless of quality.

Also deviantart has been a sinking ship for years. Its just not a good platform for generating fans. Its also just always been a basic marketing fact that you don't want to out your work out in a platform where everybody else is an artist too. You also have to put your work in front of audiences of people who don't draw, those are the best consumers. Facebook is also ineffective because people have to already know who you are to find it.

that's a matter of opinion (as i've recieved ones completely opposite yours) but why do i get the feeling all you've looked at is my gaia stuff?

i have much more than just that style (with the chibis), that's just what i've posted on gaia because it felt... appropriate i guess (relating to our avis) but i might post more (in other styles) in the future

i know, expand is the big thing, i was gonna start using twitter (don't know how effective it will be but it's worth a shot) and then there's also etsy, but that's more for selling (which i would like to do but know that i need a larger following for, i could also do that on ebay, would either of those help though?)

i was thinking of using youtube as well, i know some people post speedpaints or progress lapse videos ( i kinda wanted to learn animating too)

there's a lot more i want to do, but my ultimate goal is to become an inspiration for other people and artists alike, i like making people smile, and i wanna leave a mark on the world whee (which means eventually, i would have to expand to everywhere possible)

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
nightmare wretch
Do it for yourself, not popularity neutral

i'm going to edit this into my post since no one seems to be paying attention

i would not still be doing art if i was just doing it for the popularity

this was a serious question which i wanted advice for

i've shared my artwork for years, and it hurts to have it go almost completely unnoticed every time after all the effort that goes into it

i like making people smile, is it so wrong to want to know how to make more people smile with my work?

Unbeatable Prophet

15,475 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bookworm 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
Delphiinae

so i'm not good enough? or rather not as good as i think... not unique... that's actually a first...

"push more" is super vague. i see a lot of flash in your work, but the bones are weak. you spend so much time making the shiny rendered colors, but the actual line-work underneath is lackluster.

how old are you? i ask, because this is the same kind of mistake i was making in high school. over-rendering the shading and colors, and neglecting things like drawing from real bodies. if you are still in high school, that might be why you hear so much praise. talent in the young tends to elicit a lot of blind praise--people want to encourage you to continue, and are afraid criticism may discourage you.

and you should continue. but you need to polish your skills. i'd suggest looking up artists in the field you most want to be in, and see what they're doing. you'll probably find a few you really love. let them influence your work.

Interesting Genius

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Delphiinae
nightmare wretch

i've shared my artwork for years, and it hurts to have it go almost completely unnoticed every time after all the effort that goes into it

i like making people smile, is it so wrong to want to know how to make more people smile with my work?

I'd say that it depends on what audience you are trying to reach; who do you want to see your art? Everyone is too broad of an answer.

High-functioning Bunny

Delphiinae
BENJI BUTT
Delphiinae
BENJI BUTT
You don't know where or how to market your work and quite frankly, its not the type of work people want to see or care about. And I'm not saying it gotta be digital or anything. I work traditionally myself and cultivated a large enough following to make a living.

The reason you're not popular isn't your audience's fault. Potential fans don't owe you anything. You're not presenting an interesting or unique thing and your presentation is low quality.

One of the hardest things to learn is that if you've been trying for so many years and nothing is happening, you have to change something. I don't think your work is bad, its just not interesting because it looks like you're doing the same thing over and over again. But in general, I don't see that style really getting you places. Its just not interesting to look at regardless of quality.

Also deviantart has been a sinking ship for years. Its just not a good platform for generating fans. Its also just always been a basic marketing fact that you don't want to out your work out in a platform where everybody else is an artist too. You also have to put your work in front of audiences of people who don't draw, those are the best consumers. Facebook is also ineffective because people have to already know who you are to find it.

that's a matter of opinion (as i've recieved ones completely opposite yours) but why do i get the feeling all you've looked at is my gaia stuff?

i have much more than just that style (with the chibis), that's just what i've posted on gaia because it felt... appropriate i guess (relating to our avis) but i might post more (in other styles) in the future

i know, expand is the big thing, i was gonna start using twitter (don't know how effective it will be but it's worth a shot) and then there's also etsy, but that's more for selling (which i would like to do but know that i need a larger following for, i could also do that on ebay, would either of those help though?)

i was thinking of using youtube as well, i know some people post speedpaints or progress lapse videos ( i kinda wanted to learn animating too)

there's a lot more i want to do, but my ultimate goal is to become an inspiration for other people and artists alike, i like making people smile, and i wanna leave a mark on the world whee (which means eventually, i would have to expand to everywhere possible)

Well if you're only gonna post your gaia stuff, then how is posting this thread going to do anything for you if we're only getting half of the information? Is your deviantart also lumped together with your gaia stuff? I can't tell because it all looks the same. Its overdone, overpainted, and static.

And of course you're only recieved positive feedback, because people who don't like your work and a lot less likely to even leave any comments. That's not going to invalidate what I'm saying at all. There will always be people who like someone's work no matter how bad it may be, but that is no indication of how good it is. I also used deviantart before when i was 13 and I only got positive feedback for a lot of garbage. Your 'deviantart' stats may be alright to deviantart standards (or not, i wouldn't know at this point) but they're not good anywhere else.

If you're just going to try to invalidate every piece of advice you are given by people who are actually paying bills with their artwork, you're not going to go far.

If you've been doing it for years and not getting the attention you so desperately want, it is a problem of your artwork. At the end of the day, your efforts mean little to nothing to the average viewer. The end result is the only thing that matters and if that's not bringing in the views or comments or whatever it is you want, its the fault of the art itself.

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
megrar
Delphiinae

"push more" is super vague. i see a lot of flash in your work, but the bones are weak. you spend so much time making the shiny rendered colors, but the actual line-work underneath is lackluster.

how old are you? i ask, because this is the same kind of mistake i was making in high school. over-rendering the shading and colors, and neglecting things like drawing from real bodies. if you are still in high school, that might be why you hear so much praise. talent in the young tends to elicit a lot of blind praise--people want to encourage you to continue, and are afraid criticism may discourage you.

and you should continue. but you need to polish your skills. i'd suggest looking up artists in the field you most want to be in, and see what they're doing. you'll probably find a few you really love. let them influence your work.

i'm... it's on my DA mrgreen

i can understand where your coming from, but i don't draw things simplistically because i'm lazy, i draw them that way because i want them that way, isn't that the whole point of drawing a chibi (which i do more than just that, evident on DA)

course every artist does have those lazy days... rofl but that's when i... get... really random... and scraps...

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
BENJI BUTT
Delphiinae
BENJI BUTT
Delphiinae
BENJI BUTT

Well if you're only gonna post your gaia stuff, then how is posting this thread going to do anything for you if we're only getting half of the information? Is your deviantart also lumped together with your gaia stuff? I can't tell because it all looks the same. Its overdone, overpainted, and static.

And of course you're only recieved positive feedback, because people who don't like your work and a lot less likely to even leave any comments. That's not going to invalidate what I'm saying at all. There will always be people who like someone's work no matter how bad it may be, but that is no indication of how good it is. I also used deviantart before when i was 13 and I only got positive feedback for a lot of garbage. Your 'deviantart' stats may be alright to deviantart standards (or not, i wouldn't know at this point) but they're not good anywhere else.

If you're just going to try to invalidate every piece of advice you are given by people who are actually paying bills with their artwork, you're not going to go far.

If you've been doing it for years and not getting the attention you so desperately want, it is a problem of your artwork. At the end of the day, your efforts mean little to nothing to the average viewer. The end result is the only thing that matters and if that's not bringing in the views or comments or whatever it is you want, its the fault of the art itself.

i gave a link for my deviantart as well, did i not?

and i wasn't trying to invalidate your opinion, i just stated it was your opinion and that it was one i'd never recieved before, i've gotten negative feedback and "there's a mistake here" or "fix this" (which i try my best when the artwork isn't done)

but what your saying sounds like "the problem is entirely you, change your style entirely if you want to be popular"

which doesn't help me at all regardless of if your making money because i want ways to expand my audience whilst still being me

if any artist took that kind of advice, we'd never have art movements... neutral

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
nightmare wretch
Delphiinae
nightmare wretch

I'd say that it depends on what audience you are trying to reach; who do you want to see your art? Everyone is too broad of an answer.

but i wouldn't say it's an impossible answer, i know the different styles i'm capable of and what different audiences they might reach... so essentially yes everyone, which again just would mean expanding where i post
getting noticed requires effort, not just submitting your work to the most popular avenues, sitting back, and waiting for the praise to pile in

also nobody cares whether or not you can "undo" your work because it's digital or not; in this day and age, as it has been for quite some time, there's no way to even tell if something is digital, handmade, or a hybrid, from an online image.

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
sIayers
getting noticed requires effort, not just submitting your work to the most popular avenues, sitting back, and waiting for the praise to pile in

also nobody cares whether or not you can "undo" your work because it's digital or not; in this day and age, as it has been for quite some time, there's no way to even tell if something is digital, handmade, or a hybrid, from an online image.

i... don't do that... obviously there's more places/ groups i could put my work, but i don't think many people put forth zero effort aside from posting their work on one site...

you'd be surprised how many people care, there are entire groups on DA dedicated to that stuff, it's not that difficult to tell, i still can for the most part

High-functioning Bunny

Delphiinae
BENJI BUTT
Delphiinae
BENJI BUTT
Delphiinae
BENJI BUTT

and i wasn't trying to invalidate your opinion, i just stated it was your opinion and that it was one i'd never recieved before, i've gotten negative feedback and "there's a mistake here" or "fix this" (which i try my best when the artwork isn't done)

but what your saying sounds like "the problem is entirely you, change your style entirely if you want to be popular"

which doesn't help me at all regardless of if your making money because i want ways to expand my audience whilst still being me

if any artist took that kind of advice, we'd never have art movements... neutral

I don't believe a good any good artist has to compromise on style. But I also don't believe any good artist has only ever stuck to one thing. Part of figuring out what works best for you is experimentation. Don't keep doing the same thing over and over again. And usually with popular artists, they're artistic sensibilities just happen to fall in line with other people's tastes, not the artist purposely catering to fans with what happens to be popular or well-liked. Developing your skills in other areas will help. Another user said it perfectly, you are over-rendering your pieces with no real attention to how the forms work within them.

Actually, a lot art movements in every field of art comes out of artists (be it writers, musicians, or painters) filling a need, not just doing whatever they want to do.

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Odinochka
If you want to gather a following, start following other artists that aren't that popular as well. They are more likely to notice you since their pool of fans is equally as low. Get yourself out there; make comments everywhere, advertise everywhere, do something antagonistic (if you don't mind infamy).

Personally I think your artwork is boring. Your coloring is excellent and the style is definitely unique. The first eight pictures in your DA are of head shots that are all relatively similar (same style, position, expression). Even if you were the most talented artist around, that s**t would get boring to look at.

Actually, all your drawings have the same expression and similar composition, pose, backgrounds. There is no diversity.

the... first... eight pieces? are a gradient hair/front view series/study, they were definitely supposed to be similar in that sense

it's true, i put a lot of subtle smiles in my work, but i've never been told it's all the same/ there isn't diversity... that's a first (kinda reminds me of opinions i heard about disturbed and various other bands)

i think you can expect similarity (considering style) when it comes to an artist, i see it all the time in other artists as well (i guess it would be harder to see in your own work) but i've never really thought similarities could go as far as it's all the same (well, i suppose i kinda knew because of music opinions, but i never really thought about it)

meh, your entitled to your opinion, i've always thought my stuff is pretty different (despite style) neutral is it the style that makes it too similar for you?

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
BENJI BUTT
Delphiinae
BENJI BUTT
Delphiinae
BENJI BUTT

I don't believe a good any good artist has to compromise on style. But I also don't believe any good artist has only ever stuck to one thing. Part of figuring out what works best for you is experimentation. Don't keep doing the same thing over and over again. And usually with popular artists, they're artistic sensibilities just happen to fall in line with other people's tastes, not the artist purposely catering to fans with what happens to be popular or well-liked. Developing your skills in other areas will help. Another user said it perfectly, you are over-rendering your pieces with no real attention to how the forms work within them.

Actually, a lot art movements in every field of art comes out of artists (be it writers, musicians, or painters) filling a need, not just doing whatever they want to do.

are you saying i don't experiment? or that i don't do it enough?

what do you mean when you talk about "over-rendering your pieces with no real attention to how the forms work within them" is this relating to the chibis? or, can you further elaborate on that? i'm a little lost

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff