Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Young Master Aibiki

A lot of getting recognition is putting yourself out there. On sites like dA, are you networking? Commenting on others art, asking for critique, joining groups related to your work?

A lot of the arena-style contests boil down to popularity. And once again, advertising yourself.

If you just post and wait, you get a lot less of a reaction. :C

yeah, i've seen a lot of people complain when contests turn out that way...

and yes, i'm in quite a bit of groups, but supposed i could do more, critique is for premium memberships but i ask for help and suggestions sometimes, i comment on a bit of work, i suppose i could do more

i don't normally post and wait though...

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
JD-Ayane
Uhm.... a lot depends on attitude, a lot on skills and a lot on style. One may have good skills but if the style is not popular then it will not get popular. And about working traditionally.... People DO NOT CARE about HOW it´s done as long as it looks good. Except for those interested in the medium.

I have been on dA for years but after being on hiatus for about 6 years my following is gone. Right now I´m taking care of my Facebook-following and it´s going well. It´s easier to get in touch with the people there and people take the opportunity to get to know me better. I share my illustrations, I share my WIPs, I share some tidbits about my life, as well as drawing tips and sometimes even drawing materials. I care about the people, I help where I can, give advise where I can and they, in turn, emotionally supported me when my father died. Being popular isn´t as important as having loyal followers who stayed with me and who supported me even when I was on hiatus for frigging 6 years.

i suppose i could agree with you if i ever gained followers like that... but it's hard to know when i have given that hardly any of the followers i do have make a reply when they see my work or when i share something about me or ask for suggestions

i've seen a lot more people care than one would think, digital art seems to be what becomes the most popular of anything i've seen even though i've seen lots of amazing traditional... even gaia has items denouncing traditional art which kind of upset me... (the palettes with the "in case anyone still(...) in this digital age" can't remember exactly but something along those lines)

as for styles, i've seen plenty new ones become popular and i dabble in different kinds

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Your Neighbor
Delphiinae
Your Neighbor
Delphiinae
Your Neighbor
Attitude is everything.

how so? extrapolate what you mean by that please and thank you
Your attitude needs some changes and you need to promote yourself better, simply put. This coming from someone who doesn't give a s**t about being popular though.

Another means to promote yourself is collaborating with others, such as art trades, two people work on one image or ( if you can do music ) do small covers or productions and use your work in said productions.

If you want recognition, you'll need to put a lot of effort into it. Even to the point that it would feel like a job more than anything.

i'll join more groups and ask my friends too then, i've been trying to find happy mediums so i don't appear as that douchebag that thinks they deserve everything because their the best (which i don't), nor do i want to become that artist that says "i suck" to get attention or because i actually believe that (i don't)

otherwise, i've always tried keeping positive
Just try harder is all.

People bust their asses to gain recognition, it won't be any different for you.

not everyone works as tough as the next guy though, it can depend heavily on the kind of art one does, which i don't want to fall into (doing what's popular just for recognition)
Delphiinae
Your Neighbor
Delphiinae
Your Neighbor
Delphiinae
Your Neighbor
Attitude is everything.

Your attitude needs some changes and you need to promote yourself better, simply put. This coming from someone who doesn't give a s**t about being popular though.

Another means to promote yourself is collaborating with others, such as art trades, two people work on one image or ( if you can do music ) do small covers or productions and use your work in said productions.

If you want recognition, you'll need to put a lot of effort into it. Even to the point that it would feel like a job more than anything.

i'll join more groups and ask my friends too then, i've been trying to find happy mediums so i don't appear as that douchebag that thinks they deserve everything because their the best (which i don't), nor do i want to become that artist that says "i suck" to get attention or because i actually believe that (i don't)

Just try harder is all.

not everyone works as tough as the next guy though, it can depend heavily on the kind of art one does, which i don't want to fall into (doing what's popular just for recognition)
So? There's obvious exceptions such as fanartists but those who don't draw fanart still have to work extra hard.

It all depends on how bad you want it.

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Saint Riley
Delphiinae

i've been on DA 3 years (technically 5 because of a prior account i deactivated due to an issue, but since it was deactivated, i guess 3) i was just asking why because i get mostly positive feedback including the "YOU SHOULD BE MORE POPULAR" one, and it made me wonder

but i wouldn't still be pushing forward if all i wanted was recognition, especially at the rate i'm going...

well there you go. like i said, it takes a lot of work to get popular in the internet art world, and even more so offline. if people enjoy your art and you enjoy creating it, just keep doing what you're doing. if you want more fame, work for it. those are pretty much your choices.

okee 3nodding

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Your Neighbor
Delphiinae
Your Neighbor
Delphiinae
Your Neighbor

Just try harder is all.

So? There's obvious exceptions such as fanartists but those who don't draw fanart still have to work extra hard.

It all depends on how bad you want it.

some want it bad but never receive it... like the many who died before they were famous... sweatdrop

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Delphiinae
God-the-almighty
Delphiinae
God-the-almighty
You are doing it for the wrong reasons. Who gives a s**t if they are popular? Do it for yourself so you learn from every work and improve. If you only do something for popularity you will likely give up when you don't get it right away. Also, the gaia art area is biased and fixed. Only certain people do well there.

don't you think i would have given up already if it only mattered that i was popular? i give a sh*t as to being known about, this is my life's work we're talking about, i put my heart and soul into my work so of course i would want it to be known about!

it's very difficult to improve when you don't get a single bit of feedback for your work outside of the people you meet with, and i asked why i wasn't popular, not whether or not i was doing art for the right reasons, which has no correlation

if i were doing art for popularity, i would do ONLY fanart and my little pony stuff because that's what is popular, did you even take a look at my drawings?

i ask why i wasn't popular because it hurts to put the effort i do into my work and have it go unnoticed, and you didn't answer my question...

this TOTALLY explains why i've been on DA three years, continuing my artwork... yup, thanks...
I did look at your art. I think you are limiting yourself with the style. It's good but have you considered branching out and trying new things like mediums and subjects? There's something I've discovered about popularity. It''s actually a side effect rather than a goal. I wouldn't worry about DA or Gaia fame anyway. I've been on DA about 6 years myself and have a small number of people who follow me. As far as feedback goes, if you see something you admire ask the artist. They may share it. I got some good ideas for using acrylics that way. I used color to create depth but they were using layers of transparent paint with impressive results. I'd advice just try approaching people.

no you definitely didn't look, or rather, you likely only looked at the gaia stuff and not at my other stuff on DA, cause i've got plenty of experiments in different styles and mediums all up in my gallery!

it's a side affect but recognition can still be a goal, i can't tell you how many artists i've seen that deserve far more than they get...

i don't worry so much about gaia as i do about DA, but how else am i supposed to put my art out there?

people don't notice unless i approach them...
Then approach them. Networking is an important part of the process. I looked at several of your links.I didn't go through your whole DA. I'll go look now, I have time to do it. i had family obligations earlier.

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Escherichia coli
I really freaking love riding my bike. It's an awesome bike; it's sleek enough to handle roads and it's steel frame is limber enough to crush gravel at a 10% grade without me biting off my tongue. I keep my bike well oiled and cleaned so that when I peddle the wind is the only thing I hear; I've snuck up on bobcats, bald eagles, and painted buntings. And you know what, not only is my bike awesome, but I'm pretty awesome too. I can climb 1,500 ft on washed out back country gravel roads and I'm slowly closing in on my century ride. My bike is my passion.

Why aren't I more popular?! For some reason I can't find any sponsors and even though I can hit 20mph (downhill) I was snubbed and didn't get invited to any of the teams for any of the big cycling tours. I feel positively upset, especially since Sky still won't drop that doping toilet-lord, Froome!

Yeah, maybe you don't mean to come off sounding like a petulant kid, but you kinda do anyway. Especially since you emphasize so much on people who don't deserve it as much as you being more popular. Like the people who won the contest or people who draw fanart. You sound rather stuck up which is unpleasant ( see 1. in your list of things to keep in mind) and to be honest, while I do like a couple of the works in your gallery, your work really doesn't show any kind of deep meaning or advanced skill that I'd expect out of your life and soul. It's not like you're Bernini.

Your OP sounds like the blather I put in above. Sure I'm decent on a bike, I don't fall off or anything outright stupid, but that doesn't mean I'm deserving of any kind of praise or recognition for not riding my dumb a** into a tree or off a cliff. And that will hold true even if someone shittier than I am get's high school popular for sitting on two wheels (it's a joke, no cyclist ever gets popular). I don't bike for other people, I bike so that I can watch rabbits futz around in the ditches and hear owls start calling at daybreak. Focus on building your own skills and creating a community that other people actually want to participate in instead of refusing to watch or favorite other people's work because it creates too much clutter.

User Image

if you wanted to say i was delusional and my art is mediocre, you could have just said so

did you not notice me mention that i'm not the only artist i've seen this happen to? did you skim and not notice me mentioning "this is because of an issue with my last account" (if you have an issue and a shot at fixing, would you willingly repeat the problem?)

i mentioned those things because i've had people tell me as such, i've questioned my sanity in this sense multiple time which is why i asked the question

i'm not begging for the world's attention, i just wanted to know why no one seemed to notice me despite efforts for the contrary, and your answer was essentially, "you're not worth what you think you are"

okay, i'll take that into account

also, your bike reference is a logical fallacy, false analogy to be exact, because you're not going out of your way to get that you can ride a bike out there even in the slightest, and by no means do you wish for the attention of a professional cyclist

basically, it would be the equivalent of me asking "why am i not famous?" IF i didn't even bother to post any of my art whatsoever...

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
Delphiinae

i suppose i could agree with you if i ever gained followers like that... but it's hard to know when i have given that hardly any of the followers i do have make a reply when they see my work or when i share something about me or ask for suggestions

i've seen a lot more people care than one would think, digital art seems to be what becomes the most popular of anything i've seen even though i've seen lots of amazing traditional... even gaia has items denouncing traditional art which kind of upset me... (the palettes with the "in case anyone still(...) in this digital age" can't remember exactly but something along those lines)

as for styles, i've seen plenty new ones become popular and i dabble in different kinds

Have you ever tried doing comics? I got mine by doing comics. Also, my fellow artists who are much more popular than me (some five times, some hundred times more biggrin ) have gotten the most of their followers through comics.

I, for one, am a traditional artist and my style is nothing new. Recently more and more people have called it oldschool but this is what seems to make it popular. (Which is good because I got used to it over the years and it would be a pain to change it.)

But in the end, one cannot make people like the stuff one does. It took me a year to get the 1500+ followers I have on facebook, while half of the time I spent on making my followers be more active. But even when I post something and nobody replies, I don´t whine. I make a mental note that it´s something not as interesting as other stuff. Weirdly enough, most of the popular discussions I had (except for some illustrations and comic discussions were topics about drawing material. I have a lot of traditional media and my collections expands steadily, so sometimes I post pictures and articles of the stuff I use which leads to questions from people who thought about buying it and asking me about my experiences with the stuff. Practical tips on how to become a professional comic artist are also always a winner. As well as pictures of my cat. XDDD

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Delphiinae
Your Neighbor
Delphiinae
Your Neighbor
Attitude is everything.

I got more faves when I joined groups and posted my stuff there. It's something to think about. I looked at your stuff, it has a lot of potential.

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
JD-Ayane
Delphiinae

Have you ever tried doing comics? I got mine by doing comics. Also, my fellow artists who are much more popular than me (some five times, some hundred times more biggrin ) have gotten the most of their followers through comics.

I, for one, am a traditional artist and my style is nothing new. Recently more and more people have called it oldschool but this is what seems to make it popular. (Which is good because I got used to it over the years and it would be a pain to change it.)

But in the end, one cannot make people like the stuff one does. It took me a year to get the 1500+ followers I have on facebook, while half of the time I spent on making my followers be more active. But even when I post something and nobody replies, I don´t whine. I make a mental note that it´s something not as interesting as other stuff. Weirdly enough, most of the popular discussions I had (except for some illustrations and comic discussions were topics about drawing material. I have a lot of traditional media and my collections expands steadily, so sometimes I post pictures and articles of the stuff I use which leads to questions from people who thought about buying it and asking me about my experiences with the stuff. Practical tips on how to become a professional comic artist are also always a winner. As well as pictures of my cat. XDDD

i've thought about that, i've actually really wanted to start a story for a while now, but i have A LOT of pending series i'll have to finish before hand...

it sounds nice you know... it just gets tiring seeing 0 comments, 1 or 2 faves on most of my works and i think a lot of my watchers are on hiatus... sweatdrop

Feral Genius

13,075 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
God-the-almighty
Delphiinae
God-the-almighty
Delphiinae
God-the-almighty
You are doing it for the wrong reasons. Who gives a s**t if they are popular? Do it for yourself so you learn from every work and improve. If you only do something for popularity you will likely give up when you don't get it right away. Also, the gaia art area is biased and fixed. Only certain people do well there.

don't you think i would have given up already if it only mattered that i was popular? i give a sh*t as to being known about, this is my life's work we're talking about, i put my heart and soul into my work so of course i would want it to be known about!

it's very difficult to improve when you don't get a single bit of feedback for your work outside of the people you meet with, and i asked why i wasn't popular, not whether or not i was doing art for the right reasons, which has no correlation

if i were doing art for popularity, i would do ONLY fanart and my little pony stuff because that's what is popular, did you even take a look at my drawings?

i ask why i wasn't popular because it hurts to put the effort i do into my work and have it go unnoticed, and you didn't answer my question...

this TOTALLY explains why i've been on DA three years, continuing my artwork... yup, thanks...
I did look at your art. I think you are limiting yourself with the style. It's good but have you considered branching out and trying new things like mediums and subjects? There's something I've discovered about popularity. It''s actually a side effect rather than a goal. I wouldn't worry about DA or Gaia fame anyway. I've been on DA about 6 years myself and have a small number of people who follow me. As far as feedback goes, if you see something you admire ask the artist. They may share it. I got some good ideas for using acrylics that way. I used color to create depth but they were using layers of transparent paint with impressive results. I'd advice just try approaching people.

no you definitely didn't look, or rather, you likely only looked at the gaia stuff and not at my other stuff on DA, cause i've got plenty of experiments in different styles and mediums all up in my gallery!

it's a side affect but recognition can still be a goal, i can't tell you how many artists i've seen that deserve far more than they get...

i don't worry so much about gaia as i do about DA, but how else am i supposed to put my art out there?

Then approach them. Networking is an important part of the process. I looked at several of your links.I didn't go through your whole DA. I'll go look now, I have time to do it. i had family obligations earlier.

okee 3nodding i'll look into more sites/groups and others to post my work

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
Delphiinae

i've thought about that, i've actually really wanted to start a story for a while now, but i have A LOT of pending series i'll have to finish before hand...

it sounds nice you know... it just gets tiring seeing 0 comments, 1 or 2 faves on most of my works and i think a lot of my watchers are on hiatus... sweatdrop

Well, it´s your choice. It might also be a good idea to go to conventions. And aside from having your own comic webpage advertise it on popular comic pages. A lof of popular comic pages offer advertisement space. And the money is, imho, well spent.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Delphiinae
God-the-almighty
Delphiinae
God-the-almighty
Delphiinae
God-the-almighty

okee 3nodding i'll look into more sites/groups and others to post my work
I faved one of your pics on my stock account. It kind of sucks but I lost my main account because the password changed. One of these days I will find it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff