Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Friend

I've been having trouble drawing lately. I would draw and doodle something in my sketchbook and end up erasing it furiously. I'd end up frustrated with myself and with the ickiest feeling.

Any suggestions on how I can get back into drawing again?

And oh. I think the main reason for my problem is that I'm having trouble sticking to a style...
Anyone have anything I can look at to inspire me as well?

Playful Phantom

8,800 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
i had this crisis for almost three years. at first i had no idea what could be the reason... but recently i broke up with my bf (i was with him since autumn 2009) and suddenly my inspiration came back. i realized i just need more freedom, some time for myself (i spent time with him too often)... since we broke up, i use to go out alone from time to time. i go to chill out and have some tea in the teahouse and chat with some random people there sometimes, or just go for a walk in the nature.

...it took me some time to find the right style too... pretty much time, to be honest sweatdrop and it's still not perfect though

however, cheer up and good luck with your drawing, dear wink

Interesting Dabbler

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Wingrift
I've been having trouble drawing lately. I would draw and doodle something in my sketchbook and end up erasing it furiously. I'd end up frustrated with myself and with the ickiest feeling.

Any suggestions on how I can get back into drawing again?

And oh. I think the main reason for my problem is that I'm having trouble sticking to a style...
Anyone have anything I can look at to inspire me as well?

A couple of suggestions. Don't erase the drawings you're frustrated with. Instead, try coming back to them later and do something completely different with them. If it isn't working, don't worry about how it looks. Look, instead, at it being an opportunity to go wild and try something different. I've had a couple of interesting sketches come about from that.

Try sketching quickly by observation, maybe do the occasional page(s) dedicated to practicing the basics. Whatever you need to do to keep drawing and not let yourself sink into a rut. Do a master study, devote a page to practicing shading and hatching. Practice is practice, and it can help when drawing doesn't seem to be going your way.

Biggest advice I can give you, that I've heard from professional artists and professors: Do NOT fixate on getting a style. That can actually work against you. Rather, keep practicing and pushing yourself, and a style will find you. Don't let yourself become fixed into one mode, because you may miss out on developing techniques/styles that are even stronger or better suited for what you're wanting to create. It'll come, just have patience. And enjoy!

If you're still wanting some inspirational images, just let me know and I can send you some links. ^^ There's a ton of great art and references out there!
If you're with someone, I don't recommend breaking up with them for inspiration. However, Last Day Chil did provide some excellent points. Go out for walks. Spend a couple days by yourself (and I mean really by yourself. Not on tumblr or facebook or something. In fact, turn off the internet for this exercise). The calm, introverted reflection will bring to light the things that do inspire you.

And sketchedexistence also provided some amazing advice: don't try to focus on a specific style. Just unplug yourself from a computer, go for a walk, focus on your breathing, and think of the things that truly inspire you (for me, it's Adventure Time and Final Fantasy and Game of Thrones biggrin ), then work from there. Don't compare your work to other peoples; your art is probably in its early phases, something that will blossom over years. Just do what you can now biggrin
The main points collected from the posts above:

- Don't trash or erase any drawings. You can go back to finish them later, and you can also use them to track your progress!
- Get off the computer! You aren't going to draw that way. Even if you're using it for music or reference photos. Minimize the temptation. Focus 100% on making your art.
- Don't worry about a style! Focus on main problems, which could be perfecting proportion, or shading, whatever your weak points are. (This would be a good time to go back to your older drawings that you would have otherwise erased!) Style comes later.

Some more I'd like to add:

- Don't rely on inspiration. Draw. You'll waste a lot of precious time waiting around for inspiration, time which could be used to DRAW! Inspiration isn't very practical in the art world.
- Draw from life. Do studies and practice sketches. Draw everything. Carry around a sketchbook and pens/pencils and really take in the world around you.
- If you work well under pressure, set deadlines for yourself, or have someone set them for you. Make sure they're met. Have a few friends be cheerleaders for you, ask them to remind you of your deadlines or offer critiques.
- Work on multiple projects at once, if you get bored or frustrated with one, move on to the next one and revisit your old project later. Vary the difficulties. Keep yourself interested in what you are doing, work with a lot of mediums and techniques.

Always be open to new things, making art is so much more fulfilling that way. Don't let yourself get down if you can't master something right away, practice and see where your art takes you. You might be surprised at the results! Have fun with it, don't stress over your work, and have pride in the things that you make. Every time you draw, you're contributing to the world of art, and that is a beautiful thing. Good luck (:

Friendly Friend

Thanks everyone! I should give these a try~ But getting off the computer might be a little hard considering where I live and all. xD

Playful Phantom

8,800 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
people here have mentioned some GREAT points too; like not fixating on a specific style - it will certainly evolve with new experiences, so let it do so. and carrying a sketchbook and stuff around with you is great too. you'll be surprised of what could inspire you outside... and yes, practice! if you want to draw, but don't know what to draw, you can just try some shapes, body parts, light and shades, and so on (just look around and start sketching the first thing you can see in front of you wink )

these all thinks helped me too, in my past, besides plenty of others

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces