Welcome to Gaia! ::

For me, I always use the combination of pencil & acrylic paint.
(pencil for sketch, paint for well.. paint.)

One of my biggest irks is watching this one person in my art class use chalk and oil pastels on a canvas. (then they use this spray that protects the art from aging and complain when it gets smeared.)

idk, I just always thought canvases were paint-privilege.

Does anyone else use something other than paint?

What do you guys use emotion_kirakira

Thieving Rogue

You can use just about anything on a canvas. Lots of people do image transfers and then use marker, ink, paint, etc. to add extra details and such to the image.

I can totally see why someone would use chalk pastel on a canvas, but it seems like that would take alot of material since there's such a big texture. @.@
I use pencil first, then acrylic to paint the first layer (because is cheaper than oil and artsy stuff is expensive in my country), and then I use oil.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

I use paint on them but there's no reason why you can't use oil pastels.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Wacky Autumn
I use pencil first, then acrylic to paint the first layer (because is cheaper than oil and artsy stuff is expensive in my country), and then I use oil.
I have a friend who is a professional fine artist and she'd use acrylic for the under-painting. She did it because acrylic dries faster.

Thieving Rogue

God-the-almighty
Wacky Autumn
I have a friend who is a professional fine artist and she'd use acrylic for the under-painting. She did it because acrylic dries faster.

Apparently that's pretty common! Just don't try it the other way around. lol

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Reigeckt
God-the-almighty
Wacky Autumn

Apparently that's pretty common! Just don't try it the other way around. lol
I know. She was doig it in the 80's, I'm not sure how common it was the.

Diamond Lunatic

11,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Yeah I've used all kinds of stuff on canvas/panels/wood. My favorite thing is alla prima with oils on wood, because the wood just soaks the oil out of the pigments and it dries quite fast, even without alkyds.

Though I've done acrylic medium transfers of printed photographs, magazine prints, and my own printed digital art.

I haven't done a full oil painting in a few months, but my usual process is pencil, fixative, acrylic underpainting (if I do one) and then oils.

I have a friend who actually does watercolor and gauche on canvas panels, and it gives it this really interesting appearance that isn't quite similar to acrylics. It's very thin, of course, and doesn't spread over the canvas like it would on paper, and needs to be sprayed with archival fixative when it's finished, but I actually enjoy how it looks when it's all done.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff