Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sayuri Kigaku's Husband

Feral Lunatic

Alright, so I've been getting paints and tools together for a fairly large model that I've been wanting to do for several months now. Paint, waterslide decals, clear coat, the works.

Here is where I'm getting hung up - I'm using metallic Testors Brand paints on the majority of the model. I'm wondering if the Testors Brand clear coat (of any kind, flat or gloss) will mess up the look of the metallic paint, and which one would be more appropriate to use. (I'm leaning toward the glossy, since it's supposed to look like a car's metallic.)

What I'm worried about mostly is the metallic silver just looking like a glossy gray, and the metallic black just looking like a boring regular black.

I need to use clear coat on several pieces to protect the waterslide decals.

(Also, for those curious, this is the model. I'm not putting it as an image file because the image is a page-stretcher.)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81aKs2W8uKL._SL1500_.jpg

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Take a piece of excess plastic and test it. Paint the under coats then the clear coat and see how it looks.

Sayuri Kigaku's Husband

Feral Lunatic

The model does have some extra pieces (It shares some sprues with a similar model), so that is a route I can go. I was mainly asking in case someone else had already done this, since my model has yet to actually ship. And I need to wait until my next paycheck to get the last of the paints and such that I need.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff