Welcome to Gaia! ::

Savage Goat

22,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Survivor 150
So I wanted to get into mini animations after putting it off for so long. I figured that using a grid would be the easiest to make simple pixel art and to decide where the movement joints would be. I pulled up my photoshop to use that grid, but is there anyway to feel in a square at a time? Any other programs I should use? I have gimp, paint tool sai, and paint too.

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
You would use the pencil tool (Hold down right click on the brush tool or click the arrow on the brush tool)

Delete the background layer or start with a transparent background

Right click on the ruler to change the scale to pixels

Check these boxes:
View>Show>Grid
View>Show>Pixel Grid

The pixel grid displays a white spacer in between each pixel drawn. Uncheck it to see what the drawing looks like without the white spaces.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Save as a .png

Savage Goat

22,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Survivor 150
Xhiu
Ty. I can pull up the grid, I am trying to figure out to color square by square.

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
Sithis the Dread Lord
Xhiu
Ty. I can pull up the grid, I am trying to figure out to color square by square.

The grid isn't pixel by pixel, but you can checkmark "pixel grid" to see if you're lining up things right. You will use the pencil tool to paint one pixel.

Savage Goat

22,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Survivor 150
Xhiu
Sithis the Dread Lord
Xhiu

The grid isn't pixel by pixel, but you can checkmark "pixel grid" to see if you're lining up things right. You will use the pencil tool to paint one pixel.
So there is no way just to somehow get the grid to become lines to use paint bucket and color quickly and then take off the lines @_@ Still by hand, but with guiding lines.

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
A word of caution, using a 1-pixel pencil tool with a 1-pixel grid showing can make it difficult to place the tool exactly where you want it to be (unless snap to grid is turned off, but even then I've had problems). You might find it easier to leave the grid off most of the time and turn it on only when you want to check your proportions.

Savage Goat

22,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Survivor 150
Lychee Fruit
A word of caution, using a 1-pixel pencil tool with a 1-pixel grid showing can make it difficult to place the tool exactly where you want it to be (unless snap to grid is turned off, but even then I've had problems). You might find it easier to leave the grid off most of the time and turn it on only when you want to check your proportions.
I put my PS at 100% view so the pixels are rather big. I have already done the basic grid work. Now I am jus going to make the different pics and use blur to make less hard edges.

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
Sithis the Dread Lord
Xhiu
Sithis the Dread Lord
Xhiu

So there is no way just to somehow get the grid to become lines to use paint bucket and color quickly and then take off the lines @_@ Still by hand, but with guiding lines.

There is no way to do that. Clicking once with the pencil tool is the same exact thing as pressing once with a paint bucket tool. Honestly the way you're imagining seems like more of a hassle than placing the exact thing you want in the exact place you want. If you scale up the size of the pencil tool you can cover more area. You can have a 1x1 pixel 2x2 3x3 4x4 etc. Or you can make circle shapes. You can also use the pencil tool with the pen pressure button selected if you want to use a tablet and do something more stylized.

Savage Goat

22,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Survivor 150
Xhiu
lol its ok and ty. this is the best i could do with my laptop
User Image

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100