Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Genius

So I've moved to digital art but have no idea which program to use. I have Corel Painter Lite, which I like but not love. I'm trying to find a free alternative that would work for my mac. I'm having trouble transitioning my art from traditional to digital. Do I just need to practice a little more? There's a significant difference between my traditional skill and digital skill.

Mewling Kitten

Yeah, there is a bit of a learning curve at first going from traditional to digital art. Don't let that get you down. With all art, you just have to practice a ******** ton to get good at it and get used to it. There are a lot of digital art tutorials out there too, you can find many tutorial tumblr blogs if you search. Good luck!

Anxious Cat

19,790 Points
  • Converting 100 items 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
A good free program for Macs is FireAlpaca. I like it because it has a stabilizer to make lines less shaky and the brushes get the job done. But yeah, transitioning from traditional to digital is hard. Just practice some more and you'll get the hang of it.

Also, another alternative is Sketchbook Express. It kind of has a more traditional feel in a sense, so maybe that'll work too.
SAI is pretty widely used, is very light weight and has a lot to offer. It's pretty cheap to at only around $50.00 from the official site. If you're planning on sticking with digital I feel it's worth the price. However, it's a painting program, not a photoshop. It has very little in the way of photo editing.

Dedicated Genius

SailorVera
SAI is pretty widely used, is very light weight and has a lot to offer. It's pretty cheap to at only around $50.00 from the official site. If you're planning on sticking with digital I feel it's worth the price. However, it's a painting program, not a photoshop. It has very little in the way of photo editing.

I use a mac so no SAI. I originally wanted to use SAI but it's not compatible with MAC computers.

Dedicated Genius

Sakiusa
A good free program for Macs is FireAlpaca. I like it because it has a stabilizer to make lines less shaky and the brushes get the job done. But yeah, transitioning from traditional to digital is hard. Just practice some more and you'll get the hang of it.

Also, another alternative is Sketchbook Express. It kind of has a more traditional feel in a sense, so maybe that'll work too.

I just downloaded fire alpaca and I love it! It's amazing. Quite honestly, I like it a lot better than painter lite. smile Thank you!

Dapper Fatcat

You can try Krita as well, and sketchbook is nice. Hard to thinks of stuff that works for macs confused

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff