Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Shopper

2,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Hi everyone! heart

I have been experiencing with so many inking pens! My favourite used to be the Sakura brand but when I erase, the lines kind of blend away, which is no good. I've also tried Staedtler, and Faber-Castell, which I find are not too bad.

Any recommendations? Any tips?

Thanks!

Gracious Abductee

Some people don't like them, but when I still did traditional work and inked a lot I used microns, I really liked those. Another option is getting good with with an inking pen and using India ink.

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
I love Artline inking pen.
It inks pretty well, and doesn't fades when you erase.
I think that the best way to make sure your ink doesn't fades is to not press too hard on your pencil while you draw.
That way, you don't have to erase really hard so the quality of your inked lines stays the same.

Sparkly Gekko

I've never used anything to ink except a regular ballpoint pen and Microns. I really like the Micron brush tip pen. I need to get another one of those since I abused mine.

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Staedler is the only brand I'll use to line (outside of waterproof india ink)! I keep a few of other brands around for lettering or messing around, but only the good stuff gets to touch my sketches.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

I like copic multiliners. I also use a gray multiliner instead of a pencil so I don't have to erase.
I would definitely recommend trying to ink with a brush or pen and india ink. If you want to give brush pens a go, I'd search for Zebra brand on jetpens.com. Good luck!

Bear

Back when I did traditional art, I really liked Microns! They're super good if you get the really thin ones.

The nib calligraphy pens were really good too but getting lines to flow was rather hard for me.
thatpinktee
Hi everyone! heart

I have been experiencing with so many inking pens! My favourite used to be the Sakura brand but when I erase, the lines kind of blend away, which is no good. I've also tried Staedtler, and Faber-Castell, which I find are not too bad.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

The graphite from your pencil lines is very slippery, and can prevent the ink from contacting the paper. I suggest doing what a lot illustrators do, and use a light table, and ink on a new piece of paper or illustration board.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
first off, make sure your ink is completely dry. and only use a kneaded eraser if you need to erase over lines. itll pick up the least and is much less rough than any of the other eraser types.

I use a lot of micron sakura markers and they work awesome <3 but I also use sumi brushes, other misc brushes, and nib pens. I think you should experiment and find what works best for you, but I find each tool does one specific job better than another, so having them all in your toolbox is very helpful!

good luck with yer stuff!

Hygienic Shopper

2,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Thank you for all the comments!!

I will definitely try the kneaded eraser; I've seen it used before and bought it but never tried it.

I've tried nib pens, but I am such an accident prone, awkward person and I've already spilled india ink all over my desk; not a good experience. This is mainly why I stick with pen.

I will definitely try to draw with my pencil more lightly and perhaps use a light table as recommended. smile Hopefully, this will improve the quality.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff