What is the best drawing program to use? o - o
I was gonna do art, but I don't really have a program for it... o - o

emotion_yatta haii
hehehe I've seen a lot of people are using SAI
but Im not sure its the best drawing programs or not

What's SAI ? xD

it's a drawing tool lel 4laugh
example of people using SAI
Idk a lot of people said SAI is convenient and easy to use or maybe you can try Gimp biggrin

Friendly Trash

9,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PaintTool SAI is a Japanese-based art program that functions similarly to Photoshop and/or Gimp in terms of drawing and painting (it doesn't have any of the flashy photo editing tools). Personally, I don't like to use it for sketching as I prefer Autodesk's Sketchbook for that, but SAI is amazing for line art and coloring. If you know where to look, you can "trip over" SAI in a dark alley somewhere, assuming you don't want to pay for it (it's actually relatively cheap compared to most art programs). Sketchbook used to a free version but Autodesk got rid of it. It's great for sketching because it simulates a pencil/pen on paper feel. However, painting in it requires a lot of adaption as the tools aren't as robust as Photoshop's.

Photoshop is great for coloring and can be nice for sketching, but lines are a pain in the butt. Corel and PaintShop used to be popular but Photoshop pretty much crushed them. Gimp is widely popular because it functions much like Photoshop but it's free. It's a nifty tool, but I much more prefer the functional smoothness of Photoshop. You should be able to find an older or lower end free/trial version of Photoshop that has limited functionality (most of the photo editing tools aren't equipped, but you can still draw and paint in it).

Friendly Trash

9,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
Oh, and if you prefer vector, you might be able to find some older versions of Flash or Illustrator lying around.

In case you're not informed: Photoshop, Flash, and Illustrator are all owned by Adobe. The professional (read: licensed) versions of these programs can cost quite the pretty penny.

I don't know who makes SAI and GIMP (as far as I'm aware, the company that makes GIMP just goes by GIMP). Sketchbook and it's variations are produced by Autodesk which is more commonly known for it's 3D design and development tools such as 3Ds Max, Maya, and AutoCAD.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

I happen to like Twisted brush. The open version is free.
I use photoshop, because its the one I'm the most comfortable with. It was on my dad's computer when I started dabbling with digital art and it was part of the creative suite I got for christmas many years ago. I have Paint and Alpaca, but I rarely use them because I'm comfortable with photoshop.
Get the program that is the most affordable to you, you'll get used to it and it'll just become the one you prefer.
Though, you mentioned that you're going to do art, but don't have a program. I'm going to have to ask what you meant by that. Are you just starting to do art or having you been doing art for a long time and are looking into getting into digital?
I use Photoshop for basically all the coloring I do in my drawings. Digitally painting/pixel/animation I also love to use Photoshop. Paint tool sai I use preferably only for lineart. And vectoring for me, is easier in Sai also.
Photoshop is pixel based where as I've been told that Sai is cell, based.

Friendly Trash

9,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
Over_Le_Seas_CR

MxRanier

Lol, I was trying to figure out what you meant by cell-based. I wondered if maybe there was a new thing of which I wasn't aware, but I figured out that you still meant raster/vector. Both Photoshop and SAI are actually raster programs, meaning colors are created pixel by pixel. I know SAI says it has a vector tool thing but technically so does Photoshop, but they are not "true" vector programs. Programs such as Flash and Illustrator are vector-based; meaning, instead of creating images pixel by pixel, images are created by using algorithms to make complete shapes. This makes it useful when creating promotional and marketing materials, logos, graphic design, etc.

Vector programs allow you to scale your shapes and images without losing information (pixels). However, they cannot use as robust a color palette as a raster image (also known as a bitmap). Vectors are better with solid colors or smooth gradients.

Because raster programs create images by pixel, they can have a large array of color in single image or "shape." Pixels contain a lot of information and so affect file size. They also cannot retain the information when reducing or enlarging an image as a vector can. Enlarging an image will cause it to become blurry or distorted. (Tip: When drawing, painting, etc. in a raster program, start with a larger canvas/image and reduce the size of the image when you're done. Your image will come out looking cleaner and crisper.)

I know a few artists who use a combination of vector and raster programs. One in particular starts all of her pieces in Flash and then imports them into Photoshop to add textures, filters, and additional touch-ups.

Also, if you'd perhaps like to get your feet wet with animations, both Photoshop and Flash have these capabilities.

Dangerous Fatcat

10,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
Ryouni
Over_Le_Seas_CR

MxRanier

Lol, I was trying to figure out what you meant by cell-based. I wondered if maybe there was a new thing of which I wasn't aware, but I figured out that you still meant raster/vector. Both Photoshop and SAI are actually raster programs, meaning colors are created pixel by pixel. I know SAI says it has a vector tool thing but technically so does Photoshop, but they are not "true" vector programs. Programs such as Flash and Illustrator are vector-based; meaning, instead of creating images pixel by pixel, images are created by using algorithms to make complete shapes. This makes it useful when creating promotional and marketing materials, logos, graphic design, etc.

Vector programs allow you to scale your shapes and images without losing information (pixels). However, they cannot use as robust a color palette as a raster image (also known as a bitmap). Vectors are better with solid colors or smooth gradients.

Because raster programs create images by pixel, they can have a large array of color in single image or "shape." Pixels contain a lot of information and so affect file size. They also cannot retain the information when reducing or enlarging an image as a vector can. Enlarging an image will cause it to become blurry or distorted. (Tip: When drawing, painting, etc. in a raster program, start with a larger canvas/image and reduce the size of the image when you're done. Your image will come out looking cleaner and crisper.)

I know a few artists who use a combination of vector and raster programs. One in particular starts all of her pieces in Flash and then imports them into Photoshop to add textures, filters, and additional touch-ups.

Also, if you'd perhaps like to get your feet wet with animations, both Photoshop and Flash have these capabilities.

Thank you for the advice >////<

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces