Welcome to Gaia! ::

leloi
Fat Hungry Chicken
would drawing your avatar be copying

It depends on how you draw it. This is how I've drawn mine:

[snip]

I didn't copy... but I did reference.

To add to that (i've seen this before) an example of what not to do would be something like enlarging your avatar and tracing over the objects and coloring and then saying that it's yours. It's directly copying in that case.

For example:
This image would not be mine because it's technically a tracing of an avatar, sure it's bigger so i did that part but that doesn't make it mine.
User Image
However if you draw the avatar free hand using it only as a reference for say which items, it's fine.
*I used Dankie's avatar for the example*
Thanks leloi for your answer ^_^

I can completely see where Gaia is standing in this and why, but I just dont think people should be put off copying for practice.

I understand why Gaia doesnt want copied art posted, as the uniqueness can upset some people/the artists concerned.

I just feel that if everyone is put off copying in the first place, some people will never grasp the basics of elements like proportions.
In art courses IRL you have to often copy works by people such as Picasso, to get a feel for that style of art.

I just thing there should be a section in the FAQ somewhere saying that it is a useful tool for learning, but shouldn't be abused/claimed as yours/posted on gaia.
I dont think people should be discouraged from copying as a learning aid, just discouraged from posting it on Gaia, or claiming an original work.

Thanks again for you reply. ^_^
I added a little bit to the intro of the post to address your concerns, Casseopia. It's not a lot, but hopefully it will clarify that point.
Thankyou leloi ^_^ You've been really helpful ^_^ I think thats plenty. 3nodding

4,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I am so glad that this is up... because I'm tired of people saying "I drew this! it's mine" when it's a total rip-off of another artist's (famous or not!) work..

thanks.
*nods* So if I understand correctly, posts like this http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13449436/ won't be allowed on gaia?
blissful_abyss
*nods* So if I understand correctly, posts like this http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13449436/ won't be allowed on gaia?

They never really were. But stating they aren't allowed in the rules sticky happened sometime around last September (before that it was unclear, but implied). For as long as I can remember people have been reporting PP and AA art copies in the Art Infringement Report and they were taken down (I became a regular in AIR in March 2004). When I revised AIR last October, I gave them a form of how to report it.

Quote:
Picture Post
User name:
Link to thread:
Link to proof:

Now I recommend that they use "Report this Thread."

In other words... it's been against the rules... and people have been reported and banned for it. I just don't think people really took it seriously before.
Ah. I understand. Thank you for anwering my questions.
awww! thats cute!

5,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
leloi
The way many artists look at it is... "I copied to learn... but I didn't post it out in the public for everyone to see." You'll probably never see their copies because they keep them tucked away, never to see the light of day.

I felt somewhat ashamed doing the copies for this FAQ (yeah... I did all those) even though they were really needed for demonstrative purposes. If you notice none of the pieces are signed, except the sketch of Ryuuichi... because that sketch was truly mine. Everything else is labeled and credited at the bottom of the post. I haven't copied in years so I was a bit rusty. Once you move on, you never really move back. It was difficult because it was all so restrictive. Lines were restricted to where they were in the original and I couldn't deviate.

There are places you can post your copies if you really feel the need to show off copy skills. DA allows it.

But here on Gaia we have a rather large art community that doesn't approve of copies. Many of them have had the experience of being "ripped off." That horrible, violated feeling you get when stumbling in on someone else's "gallery" and it's ALL copied images from your own gallery. It makes yours cease to be unique. Someone is out there, showing off your ideas and getting praises for it. It's NOT a good feeling. Ask in Art Discussion about why they don't like copyists and many of them will come out with stories like that... about feeling violated. Many artists pride themselves on their unique self expression... and people copying them violates that.

And frankly... where would you draw the line? That people can show copied official images but NOT copied fanart (because that pisses off fanartists)? What about the people who don't know the difference between official art and art from a doujinshi? The doujinshi artists don't like their work being copied either. How would people remember where copied art is allowed on the site and under what circumstances? What if a copyist opened an R&C shop and used their copies as examples of how well they can draw? Then if asked to do something original, it turns out not as good and they get reported for misrepresentation or scamming?

So here we don't allow it. It's the one place online they can have sanctuary from it. That and every other forum (AA, Minishops, Breedables, R&C) don't allow copying... AA because it's a competition and considered "unfair"... Minishops and Breedables and R&C because money is changing hands and you shouldn't be buying "counterfeit" art.

I had some of my original art stolen by a friend offline. She used my characters, once in her school's newspaper, and another time in a school art project. I never recieved credit for my characters, and she recieved much praise for "her" art. I have never felt so used and cheap. It was truly violating. I would never wish that on another artist.
New question: How do we report someone who breaks PP copy rules? I typically just post a link to the original art in the thread, and hope a mod comes along and sees. I didn't think the "report this thread" link was meant for this type of thing.
Bare Naked Mizzie
New question: How do we report someone who breaks PP copy rules? I typically just post a link to the original art in the thread, and hope a mod comes along and sees. I didn't think the "report this thread" link was meant for this type of thing.

Report the Thread is used for reporting Terms of Service violations... Posting copied artwork in our forums violates our rules. Therefore it can be reported through the report system. That and it's the easiest way to contact a mod on the matter and make sure they see it.
leloi
Bare Naked Mizzie

Report the Thread is used for reporting Terms of Service violations... Posting copied artwork in our forums violates our rules. Therefore it can be reported through the report system. That and it's the easiest way to contact a mod on the matter and make sure they see it.
Thank you for the clarification. 3nodding I shall remember this for the future.

(PS- Congrats on the little monster)
In reality, characters are copyright too. Otherwise, Pixar could make a Shrek III, and Dreamworks could make Bugs' Life 2 ...

I guess the Gaia admins want to minimise risk without driving away the drones who can only draw fanart. :/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff