Welcome to Gaia! ::

13,900 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Generous 100
SeeleWolf
XxFoncexX

IT IS BLACK AND WHITE WHAT MORE CAN YOU DO!?

You can do what you have been doing in the rest of the comic to show tone difference? I'm pretty sure it's called shading.

"BUT I CAN'T SHADE WITH PEN!" You scream annoyingly in all caps. Then I hit you over the head with a brick of common sense. You have been shading the whole. friggin'. time.

You could always darken the pants where he was stabbed to suggest that the blood is staining the fabric?

XxFoncexX
Stencils are blasphemy.

Well, actually, Idia didn't say "use a stencil," she said "use a ruler to stencil out the letters." So whether or not you believe stencils are blasphemous is irrelevant to the situation.

The comic could be cute with more work. And just for future reference, rather than getting defensive about your ignorance, perhaps try to actually learn?

I got my glasses and reread that statement. I saw that afterwards. I feel stencils take away from creativity. It is using someone else's work.

How about, rather than going off on someone else's comment on the situation, you could ask your own questions to discover that I am actually redoing the entire comic. I am not ignorant or prideful. I appreciated how she brought things about my comic from a psychological point of view (such as framing and timing.)

I have shading using cross hatch. She wanted the blood to be more obvious when I was doing everything I could TO make it more obvious. You are placing words in my mouth by making that statement and it is not appreciated. The pants are black- how do you go darker than black? All I have is a sharpie.

13,900 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Generous 100
Idia
XxFoncexX

The wound is not that big- it does not need the entire knife. I missed one scene where I forgot to draw the blood. Other than that, you do not even see the leg with the cut. There is blood on the close ups. It's the weird circle thing drawn around it. IT IS BLACK AND WHITE WHAT MORE CAN YOU DO!?

Again, it was supposed to be kind of close. It was for the comedy effect. It was not supposed to be a long epic journey.

Stencils are blasphemy. The bubble would tone it down. I wanted it in big letters across the screen. I added the words in digitally because I needed someone to help me with my English. So writing it would be risking an entire page.

You are the only one so far who has not gotten it. How much longer can you make a scene? It has taken ...8 pages just to get to the castle? The beginning of the comic is very slow, I need to keep people interested.

There are things you can do. Mostly with different line qualities. Buy some different size pens.

How are stencils blasphemy? Prep work is what makes the final things the best it can be. You're already using a computer generated font, how are stencils different?

There is no character development. Whatsoever. The way this reads, it's not 8 pages anyway. It all blends together. It's actually all quite fast. He just gets up and goes and takes no time whatsoever to find this place which makes no sense. Why is this tower out in the middle of nowhere anyway?

I can not afford other pencils or pens. All I have is a sharpie-- which does not even belong to me. The first few pages where actually done with a BIC pen. Photoshop updated it's program and I plan to use it as much as possible to help get the point across.

I feel like stencils are like tracing someone else's work. It takes away from creativity. Prep work? I have not heard of this word yet. I thought of that while replying to another person's comment. I wish I could do it all by hand, but a lot of people have trouble reading French cursive or just cursive alone.

I am actually redoing the beginning of the comic where I have a lot of character development happening as well as explaining the plot more... The aim was to create two characters that non one knew. The thief was a complete mystery to everyone (reason you never see his face) and the Prince would later become far more dynamic. However, using two mysterious characters...does not work.

Physically it is 8 pages, but the computer does not it appear that way. His tower is supposed to be kind of distant from the village. (working on displaying this thought) Reason why the thief was unclear where the tower was at (the princes' exact location).

Wheezing Genius

XxFoncexX

I got my glasses and reread that statement. I saw that afterwards. I feel stencils take away from creativity. It is using someone else's work.

How about, rather than going off on someone else's comment on the situation, you could ask your own questions to discover that I am actually redoing the entire comic. I am not ignorant or prideful. I appreciated how she brought things about my comic from a psychological point of view (such as framing and timing.)

I have shading using cross hatch. She wanted the blood to be more obvious when I was doing everything I could TO make it more obvious. You are placing words in my mouth by making that statement and it is not appreciated. The pants are black- how do you go darker than black? All I have is a sharpie.

Ugh, sorry, I just can't tell you how many times I've seen someone give genuinely good advice in this forum and the artist gets super defensive and ends up insulting them. I think it was actually the cap locked sentence that set me off. It is interpreted as yelling and is considered intentionally rude unless stated otherwise.

While you say now that you appreciate her advice, it certainly did not seem that way initially. I understand explaining the reason you did something, but the way you said it was what came across as close-minded ignorance. I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your comment.

As far as the use of stencils is concerned, consider this: when you use a font from the computer, is it a font you made? If not, then someone else must have made it, right? Because you are using someone else's work, shouldn't that take away from the creativity as well? Just something to think about when you are trying to figure out what resources are available to you.

About the blood: You said that the pants are supposed to be black, yes? While that may be the intention, if you go back and look at your drawing, you can still see white through the cross hatching. That means you have the opportunity (even with a sharpie) to go back and add more hatching to create darker shading. For example, look at the jeans in this picture. The jeans are dark, but the blood stains it even darker.

Rainbow Smoker

8,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
SeeleWolf
XxFoncexX

Ugh, sorry, I just can't tell you how many times I've seen someone give genuinely good advice in this forum and the artist gets super defensive and ends up insulting them. I think it was actually the cap locked sentence that set me off. It is interpreted as yelling and is considered intentionally rude unless stated otherwise.

While you say now that you appreciate her advice, it certainly did not seem that way initially. I understand explaining the reason you did something, but the way you said it was what came across as close-minded ignorance. I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your comment.

As far as the use of stencils is concerned, consider this: when you use a font from the computer, is it a font you made? If not, then someone else must have made it, right? Because you are using someone else's work, shouldn't that take away from the creativity as well? Just something to think about when you are trying to figure out what resources are available to you.

About the blood: You said that the pants are supposed to be black, yes? While that may be the intention, if you go back and look at your drawing, you can still see white through the cross hatching. That means you have the opportunity (even with a sharpie) to go back and add more hatching to create darker shading. For example, look at the jeans in this picture. The jeans are dark, but the blood stains it even darker.
I am water and he is fire

I rather agree with this, and I think you need more uniform shading across the whole thing. The outfits and skin need more shading, so as to make the characters stand away from the background, and I think perhaps you might should put more detail into the corn and grass.. I can't really tell that he's running through corn except that he says he is, and even through corn one could see a giant tower looming in the distance, from any road.

I’ll be glad to boil these oceans with his funeral pyre
CoolWhip! Love your characters, soooo Kawaiii!!!! Anyway, you've got great lines. I can see where you've used more pressure with the ink/pen and where you've used less. Variance is key, I think, but then again, I'm infatuated with lines. Great job, keep it up.

14,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Novice Mage 100
Dude, you're brave. I haven't had any luck with my comic either.. I think we should hide in our artist corners until we know that it's amazing. And not just post our worse stuff.

13,900 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Generous 100
SeeleWolf
XxFoncexX

Non non, c'est d'accord. I was frustrated, but not yelling. My English is still very poor, so I have trouble explaining things. Then, I get frustrated with myself. Je suis desole.

I thought about that before and told..I forgot her username. I wish I could do my own font to express it, but a lot of people have trouble reading my hand writing because I am still learning English print.

I thought that if I made the blood darker it might give the thought that his pants are grey instead of black. Because of these problems, I am redoing the entire comic and drawing style (I hate crosshatch anyway, haha.) And instead of doing all of this in two days, I plan to draw just ONE page a day ^^.
Panel borders and gutters. Use them. It's almost impossible to read without some kind of barrier between one moment and the next. The only time you break the boarder is when its a visual device that serves a purpose.

Also, when you present, make sure to separate your pages. How you end a page to lead into the other is important. This is ******** confusion, which is a cardinal sin in Comics.

It's a dreadful burden to read. I can't even say which page I didn't read past.

Clarity is the key. Make sure each action, moment, and thought behind the actions are visually clear.

While you're at it, try varying the shots of the panels. Use them to illustrate ideas, not at random. Speaking of which, negative space. You're cramming the characters into panels and there's way too much touching of the (implied) boarders with the tops of heads. Either give breathing room around elements or crop them. Don't try to fit something into a panel. If you have to, plot it in lightly at full size, then put in your boarder and just do the lines for the parts in the boarder.

Layout is your biggest problem. Well, complete lack of it. Read some books.

Everyone will suggest Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics. And with good reason. Everything you need to know is there. Another great book is Drawing Words and Writing Pictures by Jessica Abel.

Go read, take the s**t seriously, then try again. You'll be a lot better for it.
blaze191
Dude, you're brave. I haven't had any luck with my comic either.. I think we should hide in our artist corners until we know that it's amazing. And not just post our worse stuff.
If you wait until you're amazing, you'll be hiding for the rest of your life. Part of getting better is getting feedback.

Wheezing Genius

XxFoncexX

Non non, c'est d'accord. I was frustrated, but not yelling. My English is still very poor, so I have trouble explaining things. Then, I get frustrated with myself. Je suis desole.

I thought about that before and told..I forgot her username. I wish I could do my own font to express it, but a lot of people have trouble reading my hand writing because I am still learning English print.

I thought that if I made the blood darker it might give the thought that his pants are grey instead of black. Because of these problems, I am redoing the entire comic and drawing style (I hate crosshatch anyway, haha.) And instead of doing all of this in two days, I plan to draw just ONE page a day ^^.

What better way to learn English print than to draw it? :'D
Though, I would definitely suggest sketching it out somewhere other than your comic and testing out how you want the letters to look. And now that I think about it...
You said you have photoshop, right? Well, why not draw out your letters on a separate sheet of paper, scan it in, and then crop it onto your comic digitally? That way you don't have to risk hurting your comic if the letters come out wonky. c:

Ah, that could be an issue. Although, I read somewhere that if you are going to try sneaking around at night, you're not actually supposed to wear black. Instead, it is more effective to wear dark gray. When you look outside at night, the world becomes shades of gray, does it not? Again, just offering alternatives in case you have to do a lot of switching things around.

For shading in black and white, cross hatching is actually my favorite. Hatching isn't as visually stimulating (in my opinion) and stippling is very very time consuming. But slowing down the drawing process should be quite helpful. Each time you sketch out a new page/panel/whatever, you ought to post it and get critique on it. That way you can figure out what should be changed to better convey your ideas.

13,900 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Generous 100
SeeleWolf
XxFoncexX

Though, I would definitely suggest sketching it out somewhere other than your comic and testing out how you want the letters to look. And now that I think about it...
You said you have photoshop, right? Well, why not draw out your letters on a separate sheet of paper, scan it in, and then crop it onto your comic digitally? That way you don't have to risk hurting your comic if the letters come out wonky. c:

Ah, that could be an issue. Although, I read somewhere that if you are going to try sneaking around at night, you're not actually supposed to wear black. Instead, it is more effective to wear dark gray. When you look outside at night, the world becomes shades of gray, does it not? Again, just offering alternatives in case you have to do a lot of switching things around.

For shading in black and white, cross hatching is actually my favorite. Hatching isn't as visually stimulating (in my opinion) and stippling is very very time consuming. But slowing down the drawing process should be quite helpful. Each time you sketch out a new page/panel/whatever, you ought to post it and get critique on it. That way you can figure out what should be changed to better convey your ideas.

Ah, ouais, this is true. I have practiced a little calligraphy, but nothing comic worthy. The only other problem is that when you write the words, they become pale. If you auto correct the comic, sometimes spots show up that leave you better off not correcting it.

Tres vrais.. Clearly I do not do much sneaking, so I would not know biggrin but with the new drawing style (only showing shadows) I will not need to show what color his clothes are. Stippling? They are very time consuming and apparently, not very effective.

That is actually the new plan...kind of. I want to just post a page a day so I can make sure I am heading in the right direction, but I feel that people might get lost or confused with only one page. Bad cliff hangers lead to bad comments Q_Q and I have already gotten enough of those.. sweatdrop e

13,900 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Generous 100
XxFoncexX
SeeleWolf
XxFoncexX

Ah, ouais, this is true. I have practiced a little calligraphy, but nothing comic worthy. The only other problem is that when you write the words, they become pale. If you auto correct the comic, sometimes spots show up that leave you better off not correcting it.

Tres vrais.. Clearly I do not do much sneaking, so I would not know biggrin but with the new drawing style (only showing shadows) I will not need to show what color his clothes are. Stippling? They are very time consuming and apparently, not very effective.

That is actually the new plan...kind of. I want to just post a page a day so I can make sure I am heading in the right direction, but I feel that people might get lost or confused with only one page. Bad cliff hangers lead to bad comments Q_Q and I have already gotten enough of those.. sweatdrop e

Et non, I do not have photoshop. Just photobucket. A free photo editing site. biggrin

13,900 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Generous 100
Ms. McBunny
SeeleWolf
XxFoncexX

I rather agree with this, and I think you need more uniform shading across the whole thing. The outfits and skin need more shading, so as to make the characters stand away from the background, and I think perhaps you might should put more detail into the corn and grass.. I can't really tell that he's running through corn except that he says he is, and even through corn one could see a giant tower looming in the distance, from any road.

All I have is a sharpie. If I shade the skin- they will disappear. I wish I had copic markers or had actual drawing pencils so I could show highlights in their skin tone and shades of their skin. The new comic (redo) will have more detail in it because I am not rushing...and there is less than a 1% chance that I will have the corn field part in there again. We discussed the tower already sweatdrop desole~
Merci for your critique.

Rainbow Smoker

8,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
XxFoncexX
Ms. McBunny
SeeleWolf
XxFoncexX

All I have is a sharpie. If I shade the skin- they will disappear. I wish I had copic markers or had actual drawing pencils so I could show highlights in their skin tone and shades of their skin. The new comic (redo) will have more detail in it because I am not rushing...and there is less than a 1% chance that I will have the corn field part in there again. We discussed the tower already sweatdrop desole~
Merci for your critique.

No problem, I just wanted to say theres more you can do with sharpie than you think.

13,900 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Generous 100
Ms. McBunny
XxFoncexX
Ms. McBunny
SeeleWolf
XxFoncexX

Merci for your critique.

No problem, I just wanted to say theres more you can do with sharpie than you think.

I know there is a lot that you can do with a sharpie..Cool cups by the way..I just do not know how to use them any other way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff