Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Kitsune

24,575 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hiss of Love 200
  • Waffles! 25

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Feral Cat

Very cool style biggrin

Relentless Bibliophile

12,865 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Waffles! 25
I like the second one and the fourth one particularly. The second reminds me aboriginal art, the second reminds me of art deco/ cubism.

The only thing I would recommend is, try not to use too many textures. The only thing that spoils the second one for me is the fatter "feathers" on the right. It takes up too much attention and interrupts the flow.

Dangerous Gatekeeper

I like the style, as well. I'm generally a fan of interesting shapes with clean linework.

950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Your lines are way too shaky, I suggest practicing holding a steady hand when your inking, though I do like the style, the lines just look rough in a lot of areas
You obvious put a lot of effort into these drawings and it shows, however I think that the structure of the composition isn't as effective as it could be for a couple of reasons.

Let's look at the first piece:

Ho s**t there is a lot going on(geometric shapes,organic shapes, textured lines...) which sometimes is a wonderful thing but there needs to be more balance of harmony which I think lacks in this piece. I think you were attempting to balance the piece by adding those geometric simplistic shapes, but there isn't enough of them to give us those breathers or places where our eye can rest(a flaw that hurts plague doctor). On the right the squares could have been varied more, maybe give the illusion of depth and some more of those shapes on the right to balance the weight. Also the lower right seems to trail off south of the line which seems awkward to me. You do create some unity in the design by using those textured lines everywhere but regardless the piece seems off balance, detracting from all the wonderful texture.

The second piece:

it's more simplified compared to the previous one but those shaky pillar like shapes detract from the design by being so bold, it would have been much stronger without those think lines(being some of the biggest in the piece).

Plague Doctor:

Insane detail, I really have to give it to you but that effort isn't always a good thing. There's nowhere for your eye to really rest, there's actually too much unity! Had you made the beak and some other part less detailed you'd noticed your awesome texture and wouldn't get so lost in it(in a bad way).

The last piece:

My favorite and I think the strongest of them all, it was a wise decision to kind of pen or group together those different textures within the bold lines of a triangle. The bold lines help unify the transition from the different textures while creating harmony and a nice repetition. While the textured organic pieces feel a little overused in this piece, they create a nice opposition or contrasting method. The only thing the really detracts for me are those little skinny lines running through, the piece would have been much stronger without them.

In short, I think planning and stepping back from your pieces will make your detailed work much stronger.

I hope I was helpful.

3nodding

Edit:

Oh I noticed you had a bit of trouble with photographing your art, I do too, here's a great video I learned a lot from.

Books and links of interest:

Basic Information on Design

Picture This: How Picture Work by Molly Bang Simplistic way of explaining the basic elements of design but awesomely effective, it's worth a buy.

Friend

I love it, I love the feeling, I makes me want to be in your wrists when you create the patterns and lines. I bet it feels really great to draw this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff