Welcome to Gaia! ::

I *never* draw men since all of my 2 years of digital painting (expect like about 5 times). The last time I attempted to seriously do a masculine face was way back in May, and people couldn't tell it was a guy :/ so this time around I tried to change the features to look opposite of how I draw my females. Thin, long, narrow lips. Bulky head shape with strong, harsh features, etc.

Btw, he's not an old guy, he just has long silver hair.

User Image
Looks plenty masculine to me.
Here is a sort of weird gif edit/redline(but not). I'm not very good at description, I think the biggest thing to watch for is proportion and the gravity of the hair and the direction it should take. smile
User Image
Eeddey
Here is a sort of weird gif edit/redline(but not). I'm not very good at description, I think the biggest thing to watch for is proportion and the gravity of the hair and the direction it should take. smile
User Image

Wow thanks a lot! The hair is actually a WIP that I haven't built up yet, but your face edit is very useful and amazing whee whee
China Glaze
Eeddey
User Image

Wow thanks a lot! The hair is actually a WIP that I haven't built up yet, but your face edit is very useful and amazing whee whee

I hope it helps some. sweatdrop I was trying to figure out a way to show you but, I color better than I red line. sweatdrop
Eeddey
China Glaze
Eeddey
User Image

I hope it helps some. sweatdrop I was trying to figure out a way to show you but, I color better than I red line. sweatdrop

No it's great! I see a shadow under the nose looks suitable. A thinner/angular jaw to show more neck is not something I would have tried (I'm always afraid that wide necks will look disproportionate, so I either make it too thin, or hide it with hair). The eyebrows make him look a bit more manly, I think. The lips are better defined. The left side of the hair looks more accurate to how it would look if hair fell in that way. And the new cheek bones/hollows of the face are more realistic to some pens. I kinda over-did it with the sharp cheek bones on mine biggrin

I'm excited to try these things out now, and maybe try painting a whole new guy with these tips.
China Glaze
Eeddey
China Glaze
Eeddey
User Image

No it's great! I see a shadow under the nose looks suitable. A thinner/angular jaw to show more neck is not something I would have tried (I'm always afraid that wide necks will look disproportionate, so I either make it too thin, or hide it with hair). The eyebrows make him look a bit more manly, I think. The lips are better defined. The left side of the hair looks more accurate to how it would look if hair fell in that way. And the new cheek bones/hollows of the face are more realistic to some pens. I kinda over-did it with the sharp cheek bones on mine biggrin

I'm excited to try these things out now, and maybe try painting a whole new guy with these tips.

Men are tough to draw. sad I generally prefer women. smile

I hope your new venture turns out great! ^_^

Hilarious Genius

Men generally dont have that much of a curve to their eyebrow. The cheekbone is also very round and makes him seem more feminine, try a straighter contour that goes more down. Noses are usually also bigger, and the top lip could be more narrow. Other than that, I love his eyes and his hair.
make the top lip a bit narrower, maybe?

Dapper Phantom

Kunzite?

Y'know, if you really start looking at folks, it can be quite interesting to try to pinpoint EXACTLY what makes someone more "masculine" or more "feminine" in their features. It's a really good exercise, though. biggrin

I think Eeddey did a pretty good sketch to help. I also thought of some of the more square-jawed fellows out there to see why this one looks off. Part of it is the red highlights under his cheekbones. It looks a bit like rouge, so be careful. Other part:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

and

• Note where the shadows fall. The forehead and cheekbones on your pic are fine, but once you start getting to the jawline, you've flattened all that contouring and made it look more like Maleficent's cheek bones.
  • Look at the lips. In general, the upper lip should not equal the volume of the lower lip. Women enhance their lips to look more full; guys generally don't. Unless you're using a reference with full lips, it's easier to make your character look more masculine with more subtle lips.
  • As people get older, their hairline tends to recede. I'm not talking about going bald or anything. I'm talking about skull size. Your forehead becomes more prominent as you grow. The forehead is roughly the same height from brow to hairline as the nose height and the height from the bottom of the nose to the chin.

But yeah. If any of that helps. Good luck! Expanding beyond boundaries of comfort is a good thing!
it's very good!

Blessed Guardian

He's a nice start. I like how you blended the skin and the eyes. Tho I think the eyebrows need tweaking?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff