Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you like Cardfight!! Vanguard?

Love it 0.57142857142857 57.1% [ 8 ]
Kinda like it 0.14285714285714 14.3% [ 2 ]
Hate it 0.071428571428571 7.1% [ 1 ]
Yu-Gi-Oh's better! 0.21428571428571 21.4% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 14 ]

Ever heard of Cardfight!! Vanguard?

It's an anime series about a noob named Sendou Aichi who has always wanted to play Vanguard, a popular cardgame that puts the players in another world called Cray where they use monsters as hosts to fight each other. He finally gets his chance when he has to play against Toshiki Kai, an expert player, to get back his stolen Blaster Blade card, which Kai gave to him a long time ago. From there he meets friends and rivals as he battles his way to improvement and hopes to beat Kai in order to prove himself.

To me, this series is a ripoff of Yu-Gi-Oh!, with similar characters and the card game Vanguard bears a certain resemblance to Duel Monsters with its monsters, types of decks, and FREAKING HOLOGRAMS!! scream

Here are some examples of characters in Cardfight!! Vanguard that are similar to Yu-Gi-Oh!:

Sendou Aichi (Small, wimpy, loves games) - Yugi Motou (Same)
Toshiki Kai (Jerk, expert player, has a dragon deck) - Seto Kaiba (Same)
Katsumi Morikawa (Former bully, not a great player) - Joey Wheeler (Ditto)
Yuta Izaki (Former bully, not much of a main character) - Tristan Taylor (Ditto)

Leave comments about the show or other points you would like to make! smile
Except the game is actually a much better game than Dual Monsters, and the series actually follows the rules of its own game fairly well.

If you're going to call everything that involves youths playing a card game a ripoff of yu-gi-oh, then you might as well call every anime that involves ninjas a ripoff of Naruto, every anime that involves pets/companions a ripoff of Pokemon, and every anime that involves bunny girls a ripoff of Gainax.

YGO-DM wasn't even that revolutionary. It's whole point was basically to be an animated tutorial for their game (which they failed in doing) which essentially follow's Pokemon's model. That's right, in case everyone forgot the Pokemon manga and animations were and still are basically tutorials for their game franchise. Does Cardfight also use this model of animating their game tutorial? Yes. Is it a ripoff of YGO? Not really.

Similarities in character archetypes is partially that shonen archetypes are already pretty established and that the creators of Cardfight come from the original YGO production team. The one major thing that Cardfight has that YGO never did and probably never will is focus on the actual card game. They go into great detail regarding how adding pointless one-of cards (as YGO loved to make entire decks out of) ruins deck balance and does not allow you to draw essential cards or card types when you need to given basic knowledge of statistics.

Additionally, the gameplay of Cardfight Vanguard is innately more complex than Dual Monster's "he who has the bigger card wins" of which I will spare you the details (for now).

Gracious Fatcat

5,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
Meh, I play YGO and I watched it too but I must say, Vanguard looks pretty complex without being too fiddly and tedious - I just don't have the time to watch it and the money to play it hahaha
dragonbretheren27
Except the game is actually a much better game than Dual Monsters, and the series actually follows the rules of its own game fairly well.

If you're going to call everything that involves youths playing a card game a ripoff of yu-gi-oh, then you might as well call every anime that involves ninjas a ripoff of Naruto, every anime that involves pets/companions a ripoff of Pokemon, and every anime that involves bunny girls a ripoff of Gainax.

YGO-DM wasn't even that revolutionary. It's whole point was basically to be an animated tutorial for their game (which they failed in doing) which essentially follow's Pokemon's model. That's right, in case everyone forgot the Pokemon manga and animations were and still are basically tutorials for their game franchise. Does Cardfight also use this model of animating their game tutorial? Yes. Is it a ripoff of YGO? Not really.

Similarities in character archetypes is partially that shonen archetypes are already pretty established and that the creators of Cardfight come from the original YGO production team. The one major thing that Cardfight has that YGO never did and probably never will is focus on the actual card game. They go into great detail regarding how adding pointless one-of cards (as YGO loved to make entire decks out of) ruins deck balance and does not allow you to draw essential cards or card types when you need to given basic knowledge of statistics.

Additionally, the gameplay of Cardfight Vanguard is innately more complex than Dual Monster's "he who has the bigger card wins" of which I will spare you the details (for now).

Hmm...I see your point. Sorry for my over-the-top judgment, because admittedly I have watched some episodes of Cardfight!! Vanguard myself, and I would agree the card game is definitely more complicated than Duel Monsters and yeah, I've seen similar shonen-type characters all over the place. Also, the plot line regarding PSY looks intriguing. wink
I really like cardfight. i am currently watching it on youtube and am on episode 52 and waiting for 53 to be uploaded. biggrin

Timid Gawker

8,550 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Popular Thread 100
There are ALOT of ripoffs of YuGiOh XD
I'd heard of Vangaurd but not like this, its sounds like it mirrors Yu-Gi-oH in every way XD

Quotable Hunter

The actual game is more reminiscent of a cross between Duel Masters and the Pokemon tcg, to be fair. I like Yugioh, but I kinda like Vanguard. Perhaps I'm just a card fanatic razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff