Welcome to Gaia! ::

*deep breath* Alright, time to show what a full fledge dubbie is capable of...

Okay, I prefer dubs over subs. Why? Well for one thing, I prefer to watch something in MY language. Plus, I don't really enjoy subs. All that reading, and the fact that it's in a foreign language bug me. The only series I like subtitled is Slayers, and that was because it was my only choice and it was only 30 minutes a week. (International Channel) But when I'm watching my DVD's with three to five episodes, which is 75 to 125 minutes, I go straight for the English language setting. I simply can't stand to reading subtitles while watching the show and hearing what to me, not understanding much Japanese, is gibberish with a few words that I recognize.

And about the script not being accurate? I don't really mind it that much, as long as the basic meaning is still there. In fact, I find the dialouge in subtitles to being VERY BORING, which adds to my dislike for subs. When I first got the Cowboy Bebop movie, I watched it everyday, everynight. Then, I decided to watch it subbed. Fell alsleep in the middle and woke up right before the credits.

And why hate dubs so much? Most of the time, it doesn't mean that you can't watch the subtitled version! Stop complaining abouts on freakin' TV! What, do you think the dub was always edited? In some cases, yes that's true, but there are uncut DVD's for most series, with both Japanese and English dubbing, so everyone's happy!

Also, why the hell should they get someone that sounds exactly like the original Japanese voice? That would sound horrible in English, because in order for them to sound like the original voice, they would most likely have to have an accent. I'd prefer a voice actor to be creative, and create their own voice for the character, just like the original seiyuu did. Johhny Young Bosch's Vash was great, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Okay, this is getting a little long for me, so I'll just wrap this up with a few parting words.

Please, subbies, leave us dubbies alone and let us enjoy our English versions. xp
I don't know about English dubs, cause I live in Brazil, but here our dubs are really good and well, fun! I still love the subs though, so far my favorites are Yu Yu Hakusho and Hellsing... Alucard has a sexier voice in Japanese ^^;
I'm a dubbed person. I hate to read the subtitles 'cause then I spend most of the time reading and not watching.
Some things are just more fun dubbed. When you have to read a joke it's not as funny. One of my favorite OVAs is Shinesmen and I have seen it dubbed and subbed. I laughed out loud at the dub, but not at the sub. It just wasn't as funny when I had to read it. A lot of the jokes in El Hazard are the same way.

Not that there aren't some god awful dubbs out there. Some just make me cringe. But they have their place. Little kids aren't likely to be able to keep up with subtitles. So their shows need to be dubbed when they're on TV. A dub also makes a show/movie/OVA more open to people who haven't seen a lot of anime.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

11,300 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cool Cat 500
Well i like sub cause somethime they do a crappy job dubing the ainime
Some Dubs are bad but you cant say all dubs are bad cause i know some ******** great dubs such as trigun or Spriggan (did you know how much effort they put into spriggan dubbing? and when i watch the jap trigun vash sounds like he has not enough lung capasity to do the cool WHAAAAAA!! like the dubbed one can and Vash is more funny in the dubbed (they also add more funny dialog into the series.)
Mmmm... it's not "crap" per se. There are some dubs I really have enjoyed, such as Excel Saga. But in general, I prefer subbed. I like hearing the original Japanese. And many a time, the subbed actor seems a lot more natural. It also depends on what sort of dub we're talking about- an episode in its entirety, but dubbed (such as Excel Saga, because I'm blanking on another show) or an episode that is severely cut and dubbed? In the latter, I'd choose the original everytime. However, I also love to read, and that prolly has a bit to do with my choice
dubs isn't bad or anything, is just that I would prefer the original voice actors and I don't mind reading the screen captions at the bottom.

The original voice actors usually sound better anyways.
I put up with dubbed but the translations are usually modified for "North American" audiences. The best lines usually get replaced with s**t.
fall_forever
dubbed Vs. orginal... ORGINAL! THEY KILL THEM!!!! i don't really mind dubbed but they kill them... they just kill 'em... some words have no real translation so... they change it... then we try to lessen the language.... bad idea.... also the way the mouths move to the words.... i dunno if that pisses any one off other than miself... but IT DOSE!!!! GAAA!!!! *calms down* gomen.... im just crazy, also Wac Dnalds... that happens... in inu yasha mc donalds turns to WAC DONALDS... that craks me up... lmao.... or lofl which ever...

Wacdonalds is there so they dont get sued for copyright infringement.

(I'm going to make this a general review too)

I dont mind the fact that they changed the languge, I hate the fact that even though they COULD change better they sometimes go out of their way to make it worse. Like they dont allow the voice actors to listen to the origional voices so they dont know what parts should get what inflections.

But yea, I can understand why some people dont like subbs cause they simply dont have the natural tallent that lets some of us read and watch the show at once.

Also there are sometimes entire episodes cut out of a series and make plot holes. Like episode 23 "Hot Springs of _____" (blanking on the name of the planet) from Outlaw Star, it explains where he got the super shells from but the entire quest he has to go on to do it is WAY too racey for american audiences (he has to go get a movie of some babe stripping, which he gets and you see at the end)

Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Kouji Tamino
*deep breath* Alright, time to show what a full fledge dubbie is capable of...

Okay, I prefer dubs over subs. Why? Well for one thing, I prefer to watch something in MY language. Plus, I don't really enjoy subs. All that reading, and the fact that it's in a foreign language bug me. The only series I like subtitled is Slayers, and that was because it was my only choice and it was only 30 minutes a week. (International Channel) But when I'm watching my DVD's with three to five episodes, which is 75 to 125 minutes, I go straight for the English language setting. I simply can't stand to reading subtitles while watching the show and hearing what to me, not understanding much Japanese, is gibberish with a few words that I recognize.

And about the script not being accurate? I don't really mind it that much, as long as the basic meaning is still there. In fact, I find the dialouge in subtitles to being VERY BORING, which adds to my dislike for subs. When I first got the Cowboy Bebop movie, I watched it everyday, everynight. Then, I decided to watch it subbed. Fell alsleep in the middle and woke up right before the credits.

And why hate dubs so much? Most of the time, it doesn't mean that you can't watch the subtitled version! Stop complaining abouts on freakin' TV! What, do you think the dub was always edited? In some cases, yes that's true, but there are uncut DVD's for most series, with both Japanese and English dubbing, so everyone's happy!

Also, why the hell should they get someone that sounds exactly like the original Japanese voice? That would sound horrible in English, because in order for them to sound like the original voice, they would most likely have to have an accent. I'd prefer a voice actor to be creative, and create their own voice for the character, just like the original seiyuu did. Johhny Young Bosch's Vash was great, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Okay, this is getting a little long for me, so I'll just wrap this up with a few parting words.

Please, subbies, leave us dubbies alone and let us enjoy our English versions. xp

Bravo, bravo.
Sai Mizuki
Dubyamn
Especially in the case of RK where Kenshin is voiced by a girl.

So? Thats pretty common in anime. Its whoever fits the voice.

Bart simpson = girl (and, IMO, bart's voice suits him PERFECTLY)

Same goes with the person who does Mokoto (in Love Hina) or Izzy (digimon (crap, otehr roles are slipping my mind)). She has a great male voice for that child-role.
Heisei
You all are saying English dubbed stuff is bad, but most anime on TV is English dubbed including the good ones like Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha, and.......well, everything. Its not crap, its better than reading the words at the bottom in my opinion

you did not say that the inuyasha dub is good...
you can't possibly think that is good
i also think the WHR dub is TERRIBLE!!

I could go on forever...but...I currently only feel like complaining about that fact you said the Inuyasha dub was fine!!
Dub isn't ALWAYS bad. I mean, I usually prefer the Japanese because the dub voices are bad...but when they're good I'll tolerate the English version.

I don't mind reading subtitles at all, even when I'm eating and have to look down from the screen! XD
Dena Setsuko
Dub isn't ALWAYS bad. I mean, I usually prefer the Japanese because the dub voices are bad...but when they're good I'll tolerate the English version.

I don't mind reading subtitles at all, even when I'm eating and have to look down from the screen! XD

Bravo, same opinion with me. I know some of you dont posess that ability but those of us who do can pull it off.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff