Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Chibi Baka
Dubbing itself as a concept is not that bad. There are some people who would rather not read the subtitles and would rather just watch it in their own language, whether it be a Spanish dub, English dub, French dub, etc. Now, there are some shows where the voice actors are really, really, REALLY awful (e.g. Weiss Kreuz ><;;;;;...). When people here a horrible dub, they turn all elitest and like they know everything about anime and conclude that they are ruining the show and "RUINING MY PRECIOUS ANIME AND IT'S ORIGINAL STATE! IT'S THE 8TH DEADLY SIN!" and by definition, should b***h about it in an online forum. In my opinion, if you really think that non-Japanese dubbing is so horrible, then just watch it subtitled and shut up. But some people should just really take the time to listen to an English dub or whatever language you choose for EVERY series and then make a decision about them. One series can ruin your whole opinion.

ED:
By the way, Weiss is one of my favorite series. I didn't let the English dub "ruin" my opinion of the show.

I'm not wearing one..nut I take my hat off to you. o.o That was very well put. 3nodding

2,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
it's bad because the jokes in the Japanese version is ruined in the english version and sometimes there are pauses between sentences
Dubs aren't bad. I watch both sub and dub most of the time when I get a new anime, and I think the main thing dubs do is allow you to kind of watch half-heartedly and then come back and still know what's going on. Subs, for some reason confuse me when I look away even for a second. I have to rewind to whatever part I looked away during. My grammar is atrocious this morning.
horrible voice acting sometimes
I don't favor either sub or dub, but I still don't like it when people bash dubs...

I say watch it raw.
Shorai
it's bad because the jokes in the Japanese version is ruined in the english version and sometimes there are pauses between sentences

No the Jokes are ruined in English becuase Idiot Otaku riot whenever they change even the slightlest part of an anime. THe jokes problay have a perfectly good equivelant in English its just that the Dubbers are very limited in the ways that people will not kill them over changing
Sai Mizuki
Dubyamn
Especially in the case of RK where Kenshin is voiced by a girl.

So? Thats pretty common in anime. Its whoever fits the voice.

Oh yeah I agree with that except For the fact that A full grown man shouldn;t sound like a woman. The second that b***h started talking I turned the audio right over to English because the fact that the hero sounds like a girl ruins the whole mood for me.
Sai Mizuki
Dubyamn

Oh yeah I agree with that except For the fact that A full grown man shouldn;t sound like a woman. The second that b***h started talking I turned the audio right over to English because the fact that the hero sounds like a girl ruins the whole mood for me.
Dubyamn
Sai Mizuki
Dubyamn

Okay, what the ******** is your problem?

Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Hitokage
Dubyamn
Sai Mizuki
Dubyamn

Okay, what the ******** is your problem?

I was just gonna ask that myself...
Kenshin's dubbing is probably the worst I've ever heard. And I've heard a lot of bad dubbing. stare

I don't know. Maybe Japanese VAs take their job more seriously. Maybe American VAs don't take it seriously enough.. or try too hard, which is often times even worse? (Example of American VA trying too hard: Crispin Freeman's failed attempt to be Alucard. No.)

Not all dubbing is bad, however. I actually prefer the Oh My Goddess dub over the sub.
Some dubbing, especially that on like Adult Swim, although I suppose I'd more or less call it translating instead of dubbing, is good.

But most of it...well, you miss a lot. A lot of times, the deeper meaning in things is taken out, and sometimes even key points, so that if you watch it closely, it doesn't make sense.

I dunno...I'm just going on about nothing, so I'll leave you now.
usually the voices suck, plus what they say aren't the origional things they all mess it up
dubs aren't bad....bad voice actors are XD besides..i prefer to stay as close to the original as possible...that and its wierd hearing them talk in english even though they're suppose to be japanese...like in a school based anime they have english classes..and yet..everyone speaks fluent english already...o.O
For me, it's a matter of voice acting... the English dubbing usually disappoints. There are times where I'll give the English dub some credit, and there are times where I'll watch the original Japanese dub and not be moved at all (both are somewhat rare, especially the latter, but they do happen ^^).

I am by no means a subtitle elitist. Most of the anime I have watched was the dubbed version. My anime-watching buddies are either ESL (and can't keep up with subtitles), or casual fans who don't really want to keep up with subtitles. As much as I make fun of the voice acting, it's usually tolerable, and after repeated exposure you get used to it. I hold a deeper appreciation for the orginial language (like anything else that is dubbed from another language into English), but I won't curse a dubbed anime as the sign of the Antichrist.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff