Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fyrsiel
Eyebrow
I don't need to back up my arguement. I've said it enough already. Dubs don't bother me. The original language is USUALLY better but I tolerate them enough to say that they're not bad.

XD just a little friendly sarcasim was all I was saying.
I know. : D
Sai Mizuki
Kenshin is tolerable. The Inuyasha dub IS crap. And its crap because the characters are watered down and crammed into 1 dimensional stereotypes.

Most dubbing is bad out of laziness. Most of the time the dub actors are forbidden to listen to the Japanese voices, aren't told anything about the story or character and are just told to "make a voice" by the character's appearance.

Interviews with VAs for Software Sculptors have given great insight to the appaulling conduct of dubbing an anime.
I agree. That's why I want to be a voice actor to make GOOD dubbing. Some voice actors suck really bad.
'Cause you can't use "It's educational!" as an exuse to watch it for dubs. wink
Sai Mizuki
Kenshin is tolerable. The Inuyasha dub IS crap. And its crap because the characters are watered down and crammed into 1 dimensional stereotypes.

Most dubbing is bad out of laziness. Most of the time the dub actors are forbidden to listen to the Japanese voices, aren't told anything about the story or character and are just told to "make a voice" by the character's appearance.

Interviews with VAs for Software Sculptors have given great insight to the appaulling conduct of dubbing an anime.

actually dubbing is usually bad because when the language is translated it is translated literally and the phrases dont always come out in english the way they are expressed in japanese
Liz Black
Sai Mizuki

I agree. That's why I want to be a voice actor to make GOOD dubbing. Some voice actors suck really bad.

Mmm, the other problem is in Japanese the anime characters generally sound like real people, even when exaggerated or archtypal. I think when things are dubbed alot of bad stereotypes and "cartoon" voices come out.

I mean imagine if Gravi got dubbed and they went "oh! characters gay! lets give Shuichi a lisp and make him a stereotypical gay character"

*shudder* orgh.. I shouldn't say things like that I'll give myself nightmares.
And that leads me onto my rants ^^

CardCaptors is my area of anger. Nelvanna took the characters and pulled the stuffing out of them! In CardCaptor Sakura, Tomoyo was a quick witted, talented girl who loved Sakura so much that she didn't care whether or not she gained anything back from giving all that she had for Sakura's happiness. In CC she was a bimbo with a valley-girl accent. One character down. In my opinion that was actually a really good way of putting her interests, and was probably suitable for children's television. It's just that Nelvanna were jumpy about that sort of thing.

Next up: Touya and Yukito. Their 'undisclosed interests' were a good source of material for the series. However that's one more down... it's just lucky that Tori and Julian came out without too much character damage, except that Sakura's big brother was now named 'chicken' (yeah I know it's a bit circumstantial, but who cares it's funny).

Then the big one. Rika and Terada sensei. Those two were in a really well played out romance. I understand that it had to go for a children's series, but still it's a shame.

My conclusion: dubs hurt characters and plot. Since most of dubbed anime that appear on TV have to fit into the 'U' slot, censors have to downgrade them from PG or 12 ratings. That's just plain suicidal for the quality.
Oh and I firmly back up what was said about voice actors too! ^^
I really think some dubs just plain out suck because the actor don't really sound like they're trying ( After listening to the Sub) But then again it is choose an 90% of the time i prefure subs after hearing them an compariing them to dubs.

Dapper Cat

dubbing ruins an anime as some japanese cant be translated orally. you sometimes have to say so much in english just for one word in jap. there goes the mouthing. generally, the voice actors are crap (they probably dont know whats happening) and sometimes they have the crappiest voices. sometimes they too high in pitch and sometimes theyre too deep. sure, reading subtitles is a bit of a bore but at least i can understand something and be able to feel the full effect at the same time
Dubyamn
Especially in the case of RK where Kenshin is voiced by a girl.

You might want to add that in the japanese voice of Kenshin is a girl. The american dub is a voice actor Richard Hayworth.
The bad thing about american dubs: a lot of the culutral references are lost in the american versions, which can be annoying.
My main problem with american dubs is some of the pitches that the actors hit gives me severe headaches. This actually happens with a lot of people.
Its just preference for me
In NZ they dubbed out the guns!! so when someone is holding a gun they look like they r pointing at them LOL xd
I have to say that I once thought I wouldn't enjoy a subbed anime at all. But then it was better to have that than not understand the damn thing because I have no idea what most Japanese is saying.

Now that I've been sampling, I have to say I prefer dub and sub both. If you've got a good dub job, you watch that first and pick up the whole story...decide if it's one you're interested enough in to watch.

Then, when you have a question due to funky translations, or strange character reactions to something said on screen, you watch a sub...

I like to go back and watch the sub on Chobits. Not only does the translation come across better, it adds flavor to the anime.

But then, sometimes, you just want to enjoy yourself and not read a novel while watching a movie. Hence, you go for both.

Bless,
k
EternalNightwalker
if i see an anime for the first time in english.....them i'm going to prefer english. but if i hear it in japanese, then usually i can't stand the english and switch it back to japanese.

Ditto. It's all about the first time for me too. But, I also like to buy the DVD of an anime if I can. That way I can watch both the sub and the dub. blaugh

Now, I kind of resent this general condemnation of "American" dubbing. Not really because I'm an incredibly patriotic Amercian, but most of the dubbed anime one finds in American was actually done in Canada. Blame the Canadians for a change. America can't be responsible for ALL the crap in the world. wink

I also think it's unfair for people to run the voice actors down. Acting is hard, especially when you can't use your body and facial expressions. These actors have to match their voices to a pre-filmed image and convey a character that they had no hand in creating. It's like telling an artist what to paint; the result CAN be wonderful, but it's a difficult process.

Anyway, that's my opinion, whatever it counts for.

5,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250
Heisei
You all are saying English dubbed stuff is bad, but most anime on TV is English dubbed including the good ones like Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha, and.......well, everything. Its not crap, its better than reading the words at the bottom in my opinion
Yes, I agree. Just because it's dubbed, doesn't mean that it's horrible stare Human beings are just spoiled.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff