Welcome to Gaia! ::

im just wondering what people think about this, i think its the exotic quality that anime seems to have
I think the animation is better than in cartoons coming out lately. Also i think there is much more to the storyline and characters. I like how you get into the story and get to really know the characters.
Seriously, people. Just because they are draw differently, that's is not the factor what makes them different. Even within American and Japanese animations, there are tons of different styles within it. They have the same objective which is to entertain people either by telling a story or comdey or whatever.

The only difference I see is that they are made by different countries.
there isn't a difference. two words, same meaning.
i beleive it is the progression of the plot lines and characters that differs anime from regular cartoons.
Plot, for the most part. Traditional American cartoons are things like Tom and Jerry, the Roadrunner, or Mickey Mouse. They have absolutely no plot, and if they DO have a plot, it can be easily contained in a single stand-alone episode. Anime includes a more complex plot, like a long novel broken into chapters and then animated. Of course, more and more American cartoons are like this now, which is nice...

Also, I suppose the drawings in anime are more detailed, with emphasis and exaggeration in different parts of the body than American cartoons. The emotions are noticably different, if you need an example, go look at Sailor Moon (possibly DBZ as well, I guess...) and then an American cartoon. American cartoons don't 'sweatdrop' or get nosebleeds, but anime characters don't often survive getting hit in the head with an anvil and turning into a giant pancake with eyes.

As for the more realistic-type anime I like, it's different in that it is MUCH more realistic than American cartoons, it has, generally, a darker plot, and the characters don't make crude jokes very often.

That's the main difference, I think. American cartoons rely on sight gags and crude, bathroom humor for a laugh. Anime isn't always funny, and it rarely does that sort of humor, if at all.

Oh, yes. And anime sometimes gets naked... xd

eek I think I talk too much... lol
imperius_unforgivable
Plot, for the most part. Traditional American cartoons are things like Tom and Jerry, the Roadrunner, or Mickey Mouse. They have absolutely no plot, and if they DO have a plot, it can be easily contained in a single stand-alone episode. Anime includes a more complex plot, like a long novel broken into chapters and then animated. Of course, more and more American cartoons are like this now, which is nice...

Also, I suppose the drawings in anime are more detailed, with emphasis and exaggeration in different parts of the body than American cartoons. The emotions are noticably different, if you need an example, go look at Sailor Moon (possibly DBZ as well, I guess...) and then an American cartoon. American cartoons don't 'sweatdrop' or get nosebleeds, but anime characters don't often survive getting hit in the head with an anvil and turning into a giant pancake with eyes.

As for the more realistic-type anime I like, it's different in that it is MUCH more realistic than American cartoons, it has, generally, a darker plot, and the characters don't make crude jokes very often.

That's the main difference, I think. American cartoons rely on sight gags and crude, bathroom humor for a laugh. Anime isn't always funny, and it rarely does that sort of humor, if at all.

Oh, yes. And anime sometimes gets naked... xd

eek I think I talk too much... lol

Please do some research for the love of the people.

There are plenty and I mean thousands of anime that does not have a plot and also plenty of anime that are drawn in the most ugliest drawing you ever seen soon.

Bah...I would even say alot more but it's just a waste of engery.
anime is different from cartoon on the basicfact that it is made in JAPAN!!!! also has cooler moves xd
Bigger eyes.

*shrugs*

Animation is animation.
Hamtaro has about as much plot as any Warner Brothers cartoon.

The only difference between the two, is the way people perceive them. For instance, some believe that the country of origin is the difference, others believe the plot and yet others feel it's the way it's drawn.

However, technically there IS no difference.
I think it has to do with the mentality of the show. Anime is more foten geared towards adults, and have deeper plots. American cartoons don't tend to have that same level of maturity, even in their most adult-orientated cartoons. Anime has more sub plots, character development, etc and make the viewers more involved in the story. At least, that is my humble opinion..

Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
As others have said before, there is no difference.

Anime is short for animation. Cartoons are a type of animation. Therefore, anime and cartoons are the same thing.

That's all there is to it.
The characters the art and the complex storylines....
Not all Japanese Animation HAS plot. Ever see Adventures of Mini-Godess?, Excel Saga?, Azumanga Daioh?, Digi-Charet??

Let's face it.. Japanese makes CARTOONS TOO!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff