Welcome to Gaia! ::

Inquisitive Prophet

Hello~! I have an interesting question for you all. This is a very debatable topic and I think it's mostly all about perspective. Were you ever watching an anime and a friend or family member called it a cartoon? Did it bother you? Many people think that cartoons and anime are drastically different, but are they really? The argument I hear a good amount of the time is "cartoons are for children whereas anime is for more mature audiences" but that argument is not entirely accurate.In my opinion, anime and cartoons are pretty much the same thing, they're just part of different cultures and have their own art-styles. But what is your opinion on this?◕ ◡ ◕
All of my coworkers know that I "like to watch some weird a** cartoons" and I feel like that's a hell of a lot easier than being like oh well actually this is anime from Japan that I specifically watch subtitled in English on the internet because it's a decent year round excuse to avoid going out and socializing with you all so...

Inquisitive Prophet

Albinus of Angers
All of my coworkers know that I "like to watch some weird a** cartoons" and I feel like that's a hell of a lot easier than being like oh well actually this is anime from Japan that I specifically watch subtitled in English on the internet because it's a decent year round excuse to avoid going out and socializing with you all so...

Haha! That actually made me giggle. I'm sort of the same way, because I don't feel like explaining that while they are similar, there are differences...but instead I just say "Yes mom, I'm watching cartoons" lol.

Dedicated Dabbler

Call it a show. Keeps it neutral and makes the person who gets upset at you look like even more of an idiot than they already were.
Entressa

My parents actually call it anime for some reason. I'm sure I've explained to them what it was at some point because they used to ask me what I always watched on my computer when I lived at home, but it can't have been more than once or twice. They've always asked me about specifically anime since then, but they totally call Avatar and Adventure Time and Futurama cartoons. I never really thought about it but it's kind of weird that they make the distinction. They're not particularly interested in it either. I kind of want to ask them about it tomorrow, like I wonder if it's a conscious effort.

Tipsy Shoujo

I don't really care what people call it, it's frikin awesome and what people label it won't change a thing heart

Friendly Friend

Hi I'm new, and nice to meet you all.
I always say anime is from Japan or of that style while a cartoon is more like a kids show. Things like The Simpsons or South park are "animated" shows and neither cartoons nor anime. That's how I've always defined it.

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

Anime and cartoons are the same, and if you think otherwise you're probably delusional, insecure, or both.

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
'Anime' and 'cartoons' are exactly the same thing- animation. I don't think there is any debate at all to be had in this topic. Unless someone wants to argue that a cartoon is a comic strip and we should all be saying 'animated cartoon' instead. Which we shouldn't.

Golden Spark

Anime are always Chinese cartoons, end of story. To be honest, I don't really care, just call it whatever you like just as long you don't get so insulted when someone called your precious 'anime', 'cartoons', because they are.

Lonely Hunter

21,790 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
I like animated shows (US/JP/Italy/Can, etc), for me they are all the same "animated shows" so I don't care if someone calls a cartoon a anime or an anime a cartoon, plus that's something so minimal for ma to get mad at.

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
They are the same thing.

Dapper Explorer

lmao tbh it annoys me when people call anime cartoons, but that's only because I'm insecure in what I like. maybe I am a bit delusional.

it's just that by calling it a cartoon, some people think of them like Western cartoons, which mostly aimed at younger audiences and often times completely devoid of mature content.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Nytemair is a new VNfag
Anime = Cartoons

Jesus ********, the word "anime" is literally "cartoons" in French.

People who argue that all Eastern anime is more "mature" than Western cartoons are delusional and I've never really understood why anyone would get riled at hearing someone else call anime cartoons.
technically animé just means animated/lively/etc in French. it's dessin animé that means cartoon.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff