Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why do you think Anime/Manga Characters Smoke

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on May 8, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Smoking gives the character an "I'm cool and can kick your butt" feel. I hate smoking in real life, but it can't kill anime chars, so it's ok.
ipanema
Not only that, but to have entirely "smoke free" anime would just be... well, kind of silly. People smoke, it's a fact of life. It's an unrealistic notion to expect that anime characters should be completely faultless, or not have any nasty habits like humans do. I'm not trying to imply that these are your opinions Lorelei.

I personally don't like smoking, but I accept the fact that people do smoke. However, in an Anime like Cowboy Bebop, where all THREE main characters smoke, it tends to get...well...too much in my opinion.

Besides, I started this thread because I wanted some intellegent POVs from other members of Gaia about this topic. Before I came home, my friends and I were having a disscussion about this....

5,150 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
well, after reading all those posts about anime smoking, i'm starting to think that in anime it's okay, since they don't suffer from lung cancer or any other disease it can give, but in real life, i am totally against it! since i get a bit sick when people smoke around me and it stinks so bad that i wanted to leave the room since i learned about how bad it really is and it's NOT sexy nor cool.
1st, bishounen of animes, who smoke are veryy sexxi. o-o;; for me.[Like Gensomaden Saiyuki <33] it makes me want to smoke too, but then again it's bad right? Female characters who smoke are just, plain disgusting.. I don't know why, but it's my opinion right? Yep..
i dont think they should
Japanese smoke more than americans, so it's obvious they're gonna have some in anime. It's a good thing we don't see kids in it smoke, eh? Plus Cowboy Bebop was more of an adult series.
its amazing how the japanese smoke so much yet they have highest life expectancy.
it goes with their characteristics... not all manga or anime smoke..
I guess it's supposed to be sexy... I think that sniffing burning rat poison is disgusting personally, but hey! whatever floats your boat.
The Japanese model of the Super Nintendo doubled as an ashtray....what does that tell you? ninja

VivaceVivian's Husband

In real life, smoking=ick!
In anime, smoking=sexy! (and I don't use that word much)
I don't really like smoking, but, it just makes them look so...badass. It's hot sweatdrop . Like Sanzo, Gojyo, Yuki, etc, etc....
Smoking in anime is good, smoking in real life is bad.
Remember that kids wink
the person that made this topic is really hott! in real life!

so how you doin!>?
doesn't really matter much.
Umm....who cares.
If you ask my opinion I don’t mind the smoking in anime when it’s used for purposes of defining a characters personality but there are times when it can become a over used element in the anime. That it self is when I begin not to like the smoking in an anime, there are just specific limits to things you can do before they become overly used.

Also in another point smoking in anime as the possibilities to promote smoking in teens and other’s who watch anime if they think it’s ‘cool’. Another down side to smoking in anime, if over used it can be taken as a promotion for smoking in my opinion. Because believe it or not what some people see effects them in there choices and decisions in life. Epically kids when growing up, commercials and over advertisements including toys, shows, movies, all influence the mind in some way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff