Welcome to Gaia! ::

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
We just finished the series last night and were bitterly disappointed to discover that it wasn't wrapped up at the end.
It wasn't until it was over, when I decided to check out the Wikki to see what the heck happened, that I discovered the writer of the manga didn't like the direction the show was taking and refused to allow further production, thusly killing what had been a really terrific watch for the first 75-80% of its run.
So this raises a couple of questions...
The Wikki says that the show basically ends around volume 7 of the manga, and the manga runs a full 21 volumes.
Should I check this out?
I *really* liked the anime up til about episode 20 or so because it had a great mix of comedy and romance, and the animation style was hilarious.
Is the manga similar enough that you think I'd enjoy it?

Has anybody else found themselves in a similar situation where you're all into a series and can't wait to see how it turns out, only to discover that it ends without being finished?

This reminds me a lot of what happened with Haganai, which I also really enjoyed, but felt really ripped-off by the lack of some form of neat summation.

Beloved Browser

7,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I know what you mean. I finished the anime and was like what the heck. So I read the manga too. A lot of stuff goes on in the later part of the manga series. Without spoiling too much it gets really dark in some parts and starts to lose a lot of its comedic charm. It was still a good read and would recommend reading the manga or at least the last two volumes. The end of the series does tend to drag on.(could have been a few volumes less and still been a great story). Anyway I hope this helps out. 3nodding

Combative Codger

13,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
Red Erika
I know what you mean. I finished the anime and was like what the heck. So I read the manga too. A lot of stuff goes on in the later part of the manga series. Without spoiling too much it gets really dark in some parts and starts to lose a lot of its comedic charm. It was still a good read and would recommend reading the manga or at least the last two volumes. The end of the series does tend to drag on.(could have been a few volumes less and still been a great story). Anyway I hope this helps out. 3nodding

Thanks! smile
I am definitely not a fan of "dark", but as long as everything ultimately works out, I can live with it. smile
There was still so much left to be resolved in the anime, that I think I will try to track down the manga.
Thanks again. smile
You should read the manga, it's a lot better and worth it.

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
I liked the manga much more personally so I'd say its worth at least checking out.

Interesting Gaian

9,350 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Generous 100
That was a good anime. I should read the manga. 3nodding smile

Bloodthirsty Nymph

56,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Devin 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Erogenous Jones
We just finished the series last night and were bitterly disappointed to discover that it wasn't wrapped up at the end.
It wasn't until it was over, when I decided to check out the Wikki to see what the heck happened, that I discovered the writer of the manga didn't like the direction the show was taking and refused to allow further production, thusly killing what had been a really terrific watch for the first 75-80% of its run.
So this raises a couple of questions...
The Wikki says that the show basically ends around volume 7 of the manga, and the manga runs a full 21 volumes.
Should I check this out?
I *really* liked the anime up til about episode 20 or so because it had a great mix of comedy and romance, and the animation style was hilarious.
Is the manga similar enough that you think I'd enjoy it?

Has anybody else found themselves in a similar situation where you're all into a series and can't wait to see how it turns out, only to discover that it ends without being finished?

This reminds me a lot of what happened with Haganai, which I also really enjoyed, but felt really ripped-off by the lack of some form of neat summation.

i highly recommend checking out the manga! the majority of what i've seen of the anime was spot on and some scenes were nearly panel-for-panel, and the art style is very nice! i think you definitely would enjoy it! however, the series does start to take a darker tone later on? like, arima's shitty dad returns and that makes things real, and he begins to get jealous of the other genuine relationships yukino begins to form? i still highly recommend it but i think it's also fair to give you a heads up ;w;

this does remind me of what happened with yami no matsuei/descendants of darkness, lmao? except the kare kano adaptation did much more justice to it's manga? it's actually a p common thing for animes to either go in a totally different direction because the manga isn't finished yet (see kuroshitsuji/black butler as an example) or just leave off again because the manga isn't finished yet (pandora hearts, for example)

Dapper Genius

It's really a shame that the anime didn't continue. I did not care for the manga very much, especially since Soichiro becomes a huge emo d-bag. rolleyes
You should read the manga. It made me laugh and cry so much. Definitely a piece of art. <3 Too bad the anime ended too soon.

Fashionable Fatcat

I loved the series! heart except the end I was like eek seriously? but the manga goes on for wayyy longer than what the anime shows so im going to have to read that sweatdrop but the storyline and the drama is beautiful and the comedy parts were genius xd and very good series indeed 3nodding I even got the soundtracks! xd

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Cluttered Gaian

I felt the EXACT same way. Watched it with a friend, waited for her to put on the next episode only to be told that was it.
My literal reaction was to tell her she's kidding me.
I know there have been other series that made me feel the same way, but Kare Kano was effing special.
been meaning to pick up the manga but... not enough time.

Actually, on the note of manga, I still feel this betrayed by the lack of ending for DNAngel. crying

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
I felt the same way about School rumble... It built itself on the development of it's characters and the relationships between them, and in doing so, they created dozens of very likable, very well-thought-out pairings. And then it ends in season 2, right back at square one, without a single one of them being resolved. Felt pretty rotten, if I'm being honest.

Shy Noob

I only read the manga, but I can say it's definitely worth to read
Yeah it bummed me out too.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Sorry to bump this up, but now that I'm actually watching this, I feel I have to comment: I agree with the manga author on this one. The entire second half of the show is completely tepid and poorly written, with plot threads and brief character arcs thrown in that have no actual impact on the story. Conflicts are resolved as quickly and easily as possible and then forgotten about, and entire episodes are devoted to the backstories and development of characters who never go anywhere in the story and immediately fade into the background once their episode is over.

I still have one more disk to watch before I'm finished, but the way this is going, it's turning out to be one of the most poorly executed anime series that I've ever seen. If something I wrote was being adapted like this, I'd pull the plug too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff