• Beta Gaian 0
  • Full closet 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Anto J Lareneg
Leena_Nekona
jayp
Leena_Nekona
jayp
If the Japanese can call their animation, cartoon in their language.. then we can also call it cartoon, in ours.

btw.. Cartoon is not a type of animation. Its drawings that tell a story.

Also, there are only four types of animation. Stop motion Animation, Claymation, Cel Animation, and Computer Animation.
But they do not call it cartoon anymore, they use to when it came out a long time ago. But they do not anymore.

They still do.
Not so much, and those who do are kind of looked down upon.
By who? Elitests?

... I think this girl is just pulling stuff out of her a**. In Japan, Japanese animation is called "cartoons". I think she is saying something to the effect of, that's not true... but I'm not so sure. I am having a hard time deciphering her incoherent posts.
the door swings both ways.
the first post has a conflict withe the titl of the thread"JUST stop calling anime cartoons". why?
the quote in the first post says 'japanese cartoons' then it shows wat all it has been called over the years.
dont understand?
by being refered to as japanese cartoons first the known as anime, the quote practically says 'hey it was once called japanese cartoons(which is cartoons) but then was referred to as anime. so u can call it what u want anime or cartoons' so the quote is not infavour of the treads creator blaugh .

any errors?
Does it even matter? I grew up watching 80's animated series (and reruns of some 70's ones) both made in the US and in Japan. To me, both were "cartoons." The only difference is that now that I'm not a child anymore the Japanese series I used to watch (which I now do refer to as "anime" wink are still interesting and beautiful, while the American ones now seem kind of stupid and have lost their charm (at least the few I've been able to get a hold of).

Yes, Japanese and American animated series and movies are very different, but technically you can call both cartoons. We've just adopted the convention of referring to the first as "anime" and to the latter as "cartoons." Again, does it even matter? It's not like you're denigrating anime by calling it that...
Calling anime cartoons seems extremely demeaning to me. I love anime. I don't like cartoons. So there's a difference. I wouldn't care if you called a cartoonish anime, like sentai, a cartoon.
SandViper
Calling anime cartoons seems extremely demeaning to me. I love anime. I don't like cartoons. So there's a difference. I wouldn't care if you called a cartoonish anime, like sentai, a cartoon.

I understand. They're different, and you don't want them placed under the same category. All I'm saying is both are animated series, so both CAN be called cartoons. Everything else is just convention and our desire for people not to assume great anime can be compared to... I don't know... I don't want to mention some craptastic cartoon someone here might love with all their heart. LOL In any case, as I'm sure you all know, the Japanese call all animation "anime” (short for “animation,” or “animeeshon,” if you like sweatdrop ), although I’m sure they think of American animation differently due to its style (they do also have the word "cartoon" wink .
Phishy Chan
How much do I love Encarta? ....I dunno. But i love it so...

Encarta
car·toon
noun
1. animated film from drawings: an animated film made up of drawings that are photographed and projected in sequence so that the figures in them appear to move, especially a humorous film intended primarily for children

I know it says "Especially a humorous film intended primarily for children", but that's "especially", as in "not all". It doesn't say in concrete that cartoons are for children and children only.

w00t! Encarta pwnz!
The only reason I don't blast these threads the second I see them is because I know people like Jayp and Grendel will come and say everything I would, except more efficiently.
Ever see a political cartoon in a newspaper? Ever wonder how people assign the term "cartoon" to a one-frame still? It's because it's the use of imagery to convey a story or point. You can tell where I'm going with this one.

Because anime uses imagery to convey a message, story, or point, it can therefore be said that

ANIME=CARTOON

Prove me wrong. Go ahead. I welcome an intelligent debate.
SHUT THE HELL UP, ANIME IS A CARTOON!
yea quit calling them that
its sickening
Ford Model T.
Bentley Mulsanne.
Dodge Viper.
Lamborghini Countach.
Volkswagen Beetle.
Yugo Koral.
Ford Fairmont.
Porsche 911.
Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Dodge Dart.
Ford Mustang.
Pontiac Sunfire.
Alfa Romeo Spider.
Bentley Corniche.
Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I.

They are all built with different techniques. They all have different levels of quality. They all have widely different costs to purchase, insure, maintain . . . even fuel. Yet, they all possess one quality that marks them as being the same. They're all types of automobile that are commonly referred to as "cars."

Similarly, just because you choose to attach some sort of stigma to the word "cartoon" doesn't mean it applies to Japanese animation any less. It doesn't. Just because you want the word "anime" to only apply to animation from ONE country doesn't mean it doesn't refer to animation from ALL countries. It does. No matter what counby it's from, no matter how it's drawn (or modeled in the case of certain Tim Burton animated movies), no matter what you TRY to say is different about it, essentially, in all the ways that count, they're the same.
To illustrate how silly this argument is, take a look at the dachshund. People who have some point with speaking proper German, will often call this dog a "Weiner Dog". Many kids grow up saying this. Many dachshund owners will go ballistic if you refer to their beloved sausage shaped pooch as a Weiner Dog. The Dog however, will happily wag it's tail at all the attention and doesn't really care one way or the other. And neither does anyone who doesn't have a dog.

Japanimation, anime. Just one style of cartoon, broken down into a lot of other styles. Some people want to talk hentai versus whatever else. Is this this kind or is it that? Personally, I don't care. You go past Anime, and you've gone beyond me. But then, I have the same feeling about American cartoons. Is it Simpsons or is it Animaniacs? Despite the claims that kids cartoons are for kids, most of them are made by adults who really want to poke fun at something. So, go figure.

And don't worry about offending anyone. This is a message board. People are going to get offended no matter what anyone else does.

One more note of little observation. Just because a fellow is Japanese, doesn't mean he isn't also an oriental. Apply that to Animation equally, and you're set. Maybe you should ask the anime what it prefers to be called.

Chances are it'll wag it's tail at the attention, just like the dog.

Bless,
k
Who cares about the name,if you like it,you can call it whatever you like...I call it art
Well you all know why most anime fans hate that anime is called cartoons, because when ppl think cartoons they think of silly animations made JUST FOR KIDS. We all know here that anime is made for young and older audiances. In the us if it is animated it must be for kids and thats why anime fans don't want to call it a cartoon because of what that word brings along with it. If it did not have that stigma about it, chances are everyone wouldn't care that anime is being called a cartoon. I don't like to call anime a cartoon, but it is. I like to view them as 2 seperate things, but at the heart and soul japanese animation and us animation they are the same exact thing, cartoons. This is why comics and manga don't have that big of a problem. I don't see ppl crying out about why Berserk being called a comic when it is a manga, because comics are more accepted as being for adults as for childeren when cartoons are not. If there was this problem, then we would see don't call manga comics threads (btw I search the first 10 pages of the manga forum just to check). I wish a TON more ppl view cartoons this way like most do about comics ( I know not all but a ton more then cartoons), but they don't. When this happens then more anime fans like myself wouldn't mind calling it a cartoon.

Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Sayin
Well you all know why most anime fans hate the fact that anime are called cartoons. It's because when people think of cartoons, they think of silly animations made JUST FOR KIDS. We all know here that anime is made for young and older audiences.

In the U.S., if it is animated, it must be for kids and that’s why anime fans don't want to call it a cartoon; because of what that word brings along with it. If it did not have that stigma about it, chances are everyone wouldn't care that anime is being called a cartoon. I don't like to call anime a cartoon, but it is. I like to view them as two separate things, but at the heart and soul Japanese animation and U.S. animation they are the same exact thing; cartoons.

This is why comics and manga don't have that big of a problem. I don't see people crying out about why Berserk being called a comic when it is a manga. Comics are viewed as more acceptable to read as an adult whereas cartoons are not. If there was this problem, then we would see "don't call manga comics threads" (By the way, I search the first 10 pages of the manga forum just to check).

I wish a lot more people viewed cartoons this way like most do about comics, but they don't. When this happens, then more anime fans like myself wouldn't mind calling it a cartoon.

I hate the 'cartoons are for kids' stereotype, but I ignore it. Why? Because I know it's false. Cartoons were originally made for adults. Some cartoons, such as South Park, Family Guy, and Stripperella, are still made for adults.

Maybe if fans stopped fussing over the stereotype, people would learn that the stereotype is false. If people know it's false, they might stop associating cartoons with children.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff