Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do I find funny you ask?

[rant]The fact that American companies now rule domain over the anime and manga they bring over from Japan.

Countless times I have told people that titles like Love Hina and FLCL were not made by TokyoPop.

A personal favorite of mine, Negima, was recently brought over by Del Rey, a division of Random House. Initially Del Rey wanted to censor some panels deemed "Sexually explicit." Of course the fans who know of the series were outraged and sent a bunch of hate-mail and Del Rey backed down less than 3 days later. But even the idea of an American company's attempt to censor, in my opinion, an art form just to make more money off a book that they had no part in making.

On the other hand, most of the anime fans in the US have no access to anime other than what ADV or Viz brings over.

Who owns anime anyways? =/[/rant]
Interesting rant....

This is why I get a lot of fansubs...
Anime is an industry. If people think editing it will get them more money, they'll do it. Don't say that's just in America because that's how it is in Japan too. Stop whining about it and go start your own company or something. I don't understand how you can be offended because people don't know the ORIGINS on the comics... that's just stupid. And Tokyopop goes out of their way never to edit and do an excelent job of translating so seriously... shut up.
Good question... I thought we'd finally gotten to a point where anime was being released in the west relatively unedited. However, I realized I was wrong about this when I picked up Battle Vixens, released by TokyoPop. God...they 'addapted it' apparently. All the characters speak in awful slang, and swear every other word. I don't think swearing's that bad, and when used properly it can make a character seem more human -- but the way they did it in this was more like listening to a kid who just learned a new swear word, and just used it as much as possible. gonk
Japanese companies censor as well. So don't try to Go after that. Japanese just have different standards regarding "sexually explicit."

Anyways, as far as the meat of the arguement goes, there's not much to do about it. People will always associate the anime or manga with the company that releases it. Since the company is one of the most visible facets of the manga (since they determine when it's released and stuff like that) people are obviously going to associate the manga with the company. I do that myself. I generally classify many anime by the company that releases them here. It's not inherently a bad thing. One just has to keep in mind the ones really responsible for the works, the artists. If one begins to say that a certain company "makes" (implying writes, draws, and releases) a series, then there's a problem. But simply classifying it by the releasing company is not necessarily a bad thing.
yeah, I feel like that too sometimes. But the fact is....I dunno...American industry is an a**? Bah humbug...
Zelyhon
Japanese companies censor as well. So don't try to Go after that. Japanese just have different standards regarding "sexually explicit."

Anyways, as far as the meat of the arguement goes, there's not much to do about it. People will always associate the anime or manga with the company that releases it. Since the company is one of the most visible facets of the manga (since they determine when it's released and stuff like that) people are obviously going to associate the manga with the company. I do that myself. I generally classify many anime by the company that releases them here. It's not inherently a bad thing. One just has to keep in mind the ones really responsible for the works, the artists. If one begins to say that a certain company "makes" (implying writes, draws, and releases) a series, then there's a problem. But simply classifying it by the releasing company is not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think the problem is that they want to censor certain things -- the thing that bothers me is that when you read a manga that has been edited for one reason or another, you're not reading it in its original form. Personally, a lot of the time I'd rather see a movie/anime/manga/book with everything left in, rather than with 'inappropriate' bits missing.
Chizuko
Zelyhon

I don't think the problem is that they want to censor certain things -- the thing that bothers me is that when you read a manga that has been edited for one reason or another, you're not reading it in its original form. Personally, a lot of the time I'd rather see a movie/anime/manga/book with everything left in, rather than with 'inappropriate' bits missing.

That's not my point though...
The original post brought up Del Ray's desire to censor a manga as a point towards excessive interfereance from American companies. I was pointing out that the Japanese companies do this as well. the difference is that we don't hear or see this because it all happens (a) Overseas (unless you live in Japan) and (b) Before the manga is published.

That being said, I do agree with you that if they're selling it here, the American companies should leave it intact. I was just pointing out that it was a bad example for his central topic.
Zelyhon
Chizuko
Zelyhon

The original post brought up Del Ray's desire to censor a manga as a point towards excessive interfereance from American companies. I was pointing out that the Japanese companies do this as well. the difference is that we don't hear or see this because it all happens (a) Overseas (unless you live in Japan) and (b) Before the manga is published.

That being said, I do agree with you that if they're selling it here, the American companies should leave it intact. I was just pointing out that it was a bad example for his central topic.

Ah, my mistake then. I misunderstood, I guess. sweatdrop
Kaizoku_Akito
Anime is an industry. If people think editing it will get them more money, they'll do it. Don't say that's just in America because that's how it is in Japan too. Stop whining about it and go start your own company or something. I don't understand how you can be offended because people don't know the ORIGINS on the comics... that's just stupid. And Tokyopop goes out of their way never to edit and do an excelent job of translating so seriously... shut up.

Heh, what's with all the anger?

This is not a rant about otakus who don't know everything there is about anime. It's a rant about how American companies take anime from it's roots and put their name on it and make a substantial amount of money Period. Please keep the hate comments and "shut-ups" to a minimum please. wink

I was using TokyoPop as an example. You're right, they do do a great job translating and bringing a lot of titles over the puddle. I'm talking about the industry in general keep in mind.

EDIT:"Japanese companies censor as well. So don't try to Go after that. Japanese just have different standards regarding "sexually explicit."

You're forgetting one thing. The people who produce manga and anime know what they can and can't do. There are some instances where something small or minor does get censored, but I guarantee its a rare thing. We can all thanks Eva for that.
Chizuko
Zelyhon
Chizuko
Zelyhon

Ah, my mistake then. I misunderstood, I guess. sweatdrop

Fiar enough. Always good to clarify things.
Matsuo: If you think that's harsh, you don't know Kai. He always expresses himself like that
Anime is fun and all, but it's not worth it to me to get all upset about what American companies to it. It's just another form of entertainment. I'd probably get a lot more peeved about publishing companies censoring find literature.
MatsuoEVA
Kaizoku_Akito

This is not a rant about otakus who don't know everything there is about anime. It's a rant about how American companies take anime from it's roots and put their name on it and make a substantial amount of money Period. Please keep the hate comments and "shut-ups" to a minimum please. wink

I was using TokyoPop as an example. You're right, they do do a great job translating and bringing a lot of titles over the puddle. I'm talking about the industry in general keep in mind.
I used "shut up" once... that's a minimum... And I never said anything about "otakus" I'm just saying that you can't blame the companies just because a couple people don't know exactly where the manga got started. The reason these companies can make so much money off of it by putting their name on it is because the Japanese companies don't bother trying to translate them. They just want the money they get from selling the rights, and that's it. They could easily try marketing it themselves, but that takes a lot of work. That's why they sell rights to Americans. *gasp* OMG OMG Isn't that just like when YOU write a book but you realize that you can't print it yourself and sell it in mass quanities so you hire a PUBLISHER that makes usually 70% more than you do even though it's YOUR book?!?! OMG!!! COULD IT BE THAT THIS IS HOW THE WORLD WORKS?!?!?! stressed
MatsuoEVA
EDIT:"Japanese companies censor as well. So don't try to Go after that. Japanese just have different standards regarding "sexually explicit."

You're forgetting one thing. The people who produce manga and anime know what they can and can't do. There are some instances where something small or minor does get censored, but I guarantee its a rare thing. We can all thanks Eva for that.
What do you MEAN don't try to go after that? I was making fun of YOU by pointing out that the censor... stare

That's not true at all. How about the entire first episode of Cowboy Bebop? Sure... that's not REAL censoring... rolleyes And what does Eva have to do with anything? I don't think it managed to change any cultural standards. I think people give Eva WAY too much credit for EVERYTHING.
Kaizoku_Akito
MatsuoEVA
Kaizoku_Akito

I used "shut up" once... that's a minimum... And I never said anything about "otakus" I'm just saying that you can't blame the companies just because a couple people don't know exactly where the manga got started. The reason these companies can make so much money off of it by putting their name on it is because the Japanese companies don't bother trying to translate them. They just want the money they get from selling the rights, and that's it. They could easily try marketing it themselves, but that takes a lot of work. That's why they sell rights to Americans. *gasp* OMG OMG Isn't that just like when YOU right a book but you realize that you can't print it yourself and sell it in mass quanities so you hire a PUBLISHER that makes usually 70% more than you do even though it's YOUR book?!?! OMG!!! COULD IT BE THAT THIS IS HOW THE WORLD WORKS?!?!?! stressed

OMGWTFBBQ!

Anyways, I stated my opinion. It's also my opinion that you should respect what others think, you shouldn't take it upon yourself to change another's opinion and/or degrade the logic behind it.

In my previous posts all I've done is clarify my words and thoughts.

I want to avoid any negative confrontations. If you think that's what publics forums are about I don't agree with you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff